Newly Released Saints Volume 1 Provides Honest Look....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mcjathan
_Emeritus

Newly Released Saints Volume 1 Provides Honest Look....

Post by _mcjathan »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... y?lang=eng

the title says:

Newly Released Saints Volume 1 Provides Honest Look at Early Church History

I ran across this excerpt:

In early May, Emma took Emily and Eliza aside and explained the principle of plural marriage to them. She had told Joseph that she would consent to him being sealed to two additional wives as long as she could choose them, and she had chosen Emily and Eliza, apparently unaware that Joseph had already been sealed to them.

Rather than mention her former sealing, Emily believed that keeping silent on the matter was the best thing for her to do. A few days later, she and Eliza were again sealed to Joseph, this time with Emma as a witness.

So, the author of these words believes it's Emily Partridge's fault that Emma was deceived by the charade? Heaven forbid Joseph take any blame...
_jfro18
_Emeritus

Re: Newly Released Saints Volume 1 Provides Honest Look....

Post by _jfro18 »

After doing the chapter-by-chapter review of Saints, the entire book reads this way. It's never Joseph's fault - it's either the members fault for not being faithful enough that they get punished, or that Joseph was totally doing polygamy in the most godly way he knew, etc.

I can't do it again for volume 2, but it reads like watered down apologetics written for 12 year olds.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

I specifically called that out in my review of the book, which I think still sits as the top non-faithful review of the book on Goodreads right now. It kind of made me sick that they pinned that on the teen girl in that situation.

I tempered my language in the Goodreads review but I did drop the F-bomb to describe the way they spun that when I posted the same review to my blog. It's a pretty despicable way to spin the story and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Well I for one am VERY grateful Joseph wasn't found at fault. WHEW! That could have been disastrous I tell ya! :rolleyes:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I suspect this will be a little more honest...
But few know that during those Nauvoo years, church leaders worked to rewrite the U.S. Constitution even as Mormon founder Joseph Smith ran for U.S. president. Few know how polygamy emerged even as Smith worked to conceal and control it and how he struggled even mightier to win converts to these unorthodox unions, especially in his own household. His brother Hyrum, who was slain with him at Carthage, for instance, went from a vehement opponent of plural marriage to a zealous proponent almost overnight, while Joseph’s first wife, Emma, only occasionally veered from her disdain for the practice.

Historian Benjamin Park, author of the newly released “Kingdom of Nauvoo: The Rise and Fall of a Religious Empire on the American Frontier,” sheds new light on those subjects

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/02 ... theocracy/
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Pardon this interruption, but since I can't initiate an original POST, I desire all to receive, https://faenrandir.github.io/a_careful_ ... yEFANbKNt0

LDS PERSONAL FAITH CRISIS
Prepared for President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Proprietary and Confidential
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins