LDS Church accused of embezzling members estate

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

LDS Church accused of embezzling members estate

Post by _I have a question »

SALT LAKE CITY (Legal Newsline) - A son is bringing attention to a religious organization that allegedly embezzled his parent’s entire estate.

Trustee and agent Brett L. Eliason sued on behalf of Max and Joyce Eliason. The Corporation of The President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and The Law Offices of Kirton McConkie were accused of embezzling the estate during the estate planning process. They were sued in the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah's Central Division on Feb. 26.

Brett claims the defendants stole tens of millions of oil properties in Texas, Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado.

“All evidence proves that the defendants used fraudulent misrepresentation to secure the estate planning relationship and told me that I needed to secure outside legal counsel for both myself and my father and his and my mother’s estates since they never had any intention of protecting the estates they were paid to protect,” the lawsuit claims.

He accused the defendants of “targeting” his parents with bribes and even accuses them of assaulting the plaintiff and his children. He also pointed out that his mother was dying, and that he couldn’t visit his father since last April.

https://legalnewsline.com/stories/52688 ... e-s-estate
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church accused of embezzling members estate

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Tens of millions in present day money in exchange for fantasy top tier Mormon heaven? (that no one actually knows exists) Seems like Joseph's Treasure digging scheme is alive and doing quite well.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Bringing suit against the Church's law firm in Utah seems like a non-starter. That would be like prosecuting Trump for continually shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, when William Barr controls the prosecution.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Accused by a pro se plaintiff who honestly sounds a little unhinged. This likely will go nowhere, and not just because suing the church and the Lord's law firm in Utah is quixotic.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/jnswire/jns-media/53/ce/11403324/eliasonvlds.pdf

Here's the statement of the case from the complaint cover sheet:

It is impossible to describe the damages associated with something so horrific and heinous as to wake up after taking care of my dying mother for five years and to realize the "God and Religion' I have worshiped my entire life had targeted my parents for "assimilation" via bribes and had turned and assaulted my parents, my daughters, and my own lives for the past seven years with the clear intention of "eliminating the bodies and evidence".

This submission to the Federal Court is the last chance for the US Consititution and the Bill of Rights to be upheld and those who have been involved in this extensive display of Corruption and apparent "Deep State" activities stopped and held accountable for their respective involvement which may have countless other victims under fire as this case is being reviewed.

The Defendants have refused to respond to one of the approximate 50 criminal allegations and has not provided one statement as to the location of the approximate $200 Million Estates which went missing prior to the death of Joyce S Eliason on May 2181, 2018 and before the death of Max D Eliason who is still alive and was competent the day his wife died meaning all assets should still be held within the Marital Trust of the A/B Trust Estate Plan.

Plaintiff pled with President Lee Wright and President Dallin Oaks for mercy and for reverance for the desecrated sacred estates which had been destroyed; and instead Plaintiff and his father have been assaulted in an unprecedented manner of retaliation against victims with Max Eliason being deemed "incompetent" and put on "house arrest" from seeing his youngest son and Plaintiff who has been the target of Felony Defamation of Character among various Courts and Adult Protective Services and has been accused of abusing and exploiting his father instead of them admitting their guilt and making one attempt to show good faith.

I have been unable to visit my father Max D Eliason since April 17th, 2019 when I told KMC Law that Max D Eliason was their client and that they sat in felony waters knowing that they had intentionally breached their Fiduciary Duties to those that paid them to protect their sacred estates.

Plaintiffs role of Co-Trustee and Beneficiary and Personal Representative have all been illegally dismissed and his life has been completely destroyed as has his possiblity to ever recover the life he once knew nor that of his daughters who are being totured along with the other victims. Every Civil Right provided by the Bill of Rights of the Constitution has been violently deprived of Plaintiffs and every Fiduciary involved in protecting this family has been "bought, threatened, or lost their sense of integrity".
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

For those of us who are slow on the Latin, "pro se plaintiff" means the plaintiff doesn't have an attorney. There is no way he could win something like this without excellent legal representation.

Presumably, the will clearly says the Church gets the money. So what is his case? That Kirton McConkie manipulated a vulnerable old man who wasn't competent to sign the will?

Was no attorney willing to take this case on a continent basis? Or did he just decide to do this on his own because that is his style?
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

These kinds of lawsuits are not uncommon. Many religious sects are involved in persuading or helping wealthy members to include their organization in the estate plan. Kids expecting a big reward when daddy dies get pissed off when they don’t get the expected payout.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Will/Trust contests are tough and the plaintiff probably doesn't have lay witnesses and/or expert medical testimony to prove the church unduly forced daddy to give away the farm or that daddy was incompetent at the time. Kirton McConkie surely has dealt with this issue time and time again. I remember hearing about how wonderful it was to give estates to the church as a really young lad. Kids should learn the value of hard work and self-reliance. Also, the good folks at Deseret Trust work hard suckering teaching correct values to the wealthy members.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

It's sad that the Church has convinced these dupes that their kids need a work ethic but the Church doesn't.

I remember on this one blog a while back, the writer did a twelve part series or something crazy on the nobility of the Church's finances. The writer was elated about the big EPA number and no doubt thankful for that work ethic everybody else had to learn.

I say "everybody else" because at the same time, the writer boasted of a property he'd just sold that came to him via his wife's inheritance. He boasted his ability to find a way out of paying taxes on it so that he could keep that money for himself. As happy as that guy was about avoiding the taxes, I'll be he was way happier than that, that his in-laws left that property to his wife rather than give it to the Church.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.