Dan Peterson is Just Flat Out LYING Now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Peterson is Just Flat Out LYING Now

Post by _Shulem »

Women are like sheep. Count them and go to sleep.

I can count to women! Get in line.

_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Ah yes, the art of wording things carefully so as to make Mormonism seem less weird than it is. I was adept at this as a missionary.

Unfortunately, many parts of Mormonism are embarrassing so it requires people to do this to feel normal. Peterson is just doing what is natural given the fact that he is bothered by the weird, inexplicable twists and turns that he has to justify. If he weren't bothered, he wouldn't feel the need to play these word games.

Take it from a Californian, the church was pressing the term "traditional marriage" very heavily during Yes on 8 campaign (along with weekly calls to donate more money to the campaign from the pulpit). His assertion that it was "never about tradition" would be news to the leaders of the church who used that word repeatedly throughout that campaign.

It was deeply ironic for the leaders to use that term, as Zeke pointed out, as Mormons were not historical practitioners of traditional marriage as that term is understood in this country.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Gadianton wrote:
since the leaders have also said that withholding information, vital information, is a form of lying. It s blatantly a lie of omission

the man has a point. I can't tell you how many times I heard the lecture about "sins of omission" in Priest's quorum.

Philo Sofee wrote:Thank you, me also! Now if we can get one more, we have 3 witnesses, and can make a stellar, super keen movie about it!!! :wink:

Prophet, Seer & Revelator, Dallin Oaks, in 1993: http://www.lds-mormon.com/oakslying.shtml
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

DCP wrote:And it was never about "tradition."

DCP should inform the brethren, who drafted the letter linked to below, which was read from nearly all LDS pulpits in California, entitled Preserving Traditional Marriage and Strengthening Families.

DCP is so smart that he knows more about the brethren's intentions than even they do! He knows what they really mean, even if it is 180 degrees off from what they actually said!

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/california-and-same-sex-marriage
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

This Bagley cartoon makes the point...

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/bagley/2 ... n-message/
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

fetchface wrote:
DCP wrote:And it was never about "tradition."

DCP should inform the brethren, who drafted the letter linked to below, which was read from nearly all LDS pulpits in California, entitled Preserving Traditional Marriage and Strengthening Families.

DCP is so smart that he knows more about the brethren's intentions than even they do! He knows what they really mean, even if it is 180 degrees off from what they actually said!

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/california-and-same-sex-marriage

I wonder how much farting and crapping the brethren have to do before apologists quit trying to cover their asses for them....... (the word is edited, but imagine a word beginning with "s" and ending with "hit" and you get the point.)
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Peterson is lying, because the joining of one man with multiple women (even in separate ceremonies) was NEVER "traditional" marriage). It is why in the 19th century it was called one of the twin relics of barbarism. Because it was never considered TRADITIONAL marriage by Americans. It was considered as much an aberration then, as same sex marriages are to many today.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Liars lie and plagiarizers plagiarize, that's just what they do. It is normal for Ditto Copy Pasterson to plagiarize and "Just Flat Out" lie about everything, that's just what he does.

And you may save 15% in 15 minutes with a call to GEICO.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

grindael wrote:Peterson is lying, because the joining of one man with multiple women (even in separate ceremonies) was NEVER "traditional" marriage). It is why in the 19th century it was called one of the twin relics of barbarism. Because it was never considered TRADITIONAL marriage by Americans. It was considered as much an aberration then, as same sex marriages are to many today.

Well, that makes three witnesses for Kerry's camp.

:lol:

Hay, Dan, you're a freaking liar! And a lousy school teacher!
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Philo Sofee,

Real talk here. What would the apologists have to do in order for you to feel like your relationship with them could be repaired? What would the Church have to do in order for you to feel peace toward it?

There’s no ulterior motive with regard to my questions, by the way. I’m just interested in your evolution from apologist to critic.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.