Is SeN Putting Utah At Risk For The Corona Virus?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Is SeN Putting Utah At Risk For The Corona Virus?

Post by _I have a question »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:One of SeN’s most prolific participants is Sam LeFevre. Sam posts comments on SeN throughout the day and at all times.

What many of you may not know is that Sam is the Operations Chief, Utah Department of Heath for the COVID19 response.

Basically, Sam is responsible for preventing the spread of the Corona virus for Utah.

Call me crazy, but I’m a little concerned Sam is spending so much time on SeN during this critical time. Maybe Sam’s time could be better spent actually focusing 100% on protecting Utah from the Corona virus. Not to mention that his job is taxpayer funded.

Sam, more time on Corona and less time on SeN, please.

Given his job and his beliefs, why isn't Sam advocating Priesthood Blessings as part of Utah's plan to combat the spread of Covid-19? Does he only believe in Priesthood Blessings outside of working hours?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

What I want to know is why the science at all if you have priesthood powers....imagine..priesthood and prayer all over the world...that should do it. If the faith have not faith...why don't they see that or in call upon that faith. ??
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

a staff writer may be complaining about my statement regarding SeN posters and science, or could be a coincidence. Consider the dictum: "show, don't tell."

There are all kinds of motives that govern what people will say. Mom used to tell me, "Satan will tell 99 truths in order to tell one lie."

"I'm skeptical. I'm the biggest skeptic you'll ever meet -- I only believe it if I see it. Up until that day, I'd never answered the door to a Kirby salesman..."

Nothing about science posted on SeN has ever struck me as anything but a preface to comments bolstering religion; to lend credibility to the author as unbiased.

And sure, the consensus isn't always right. We wouldn't have breakthroughs if the consensus wasn't challenged. Some stretches are bigger than others, and many scientists are a few hundredths of a second in front of their competitors with their big discovery. How many discoveries were totally without precedent? It would be quite unreal if a list of ten or so things treading in the territory of science that science ignores or denies, all turned out to be real. The belief in such a list of ten things pretty much paints science as incompetent; cartloads of cash left piled all over the floor that nobody picks up.

And sure, it's possible that one-off scientists who come up with theories in their area of expertise friendly to their religious beliefs are right and everybody else is wrong. If someone of faith cites these works, supposing themselves a champion of science and not an apologist or ideologue, then I'd like to see less credential trumpeting and more details on why the science is compelling. If one is often citing these kinds of works, it's really hard to buy a lifelong love of scientific discovery.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

The light of christ and gods wisdom, i.e. the utah DOH's recommendation for how to avoid CoVid19, didn't help Rudy Gobert, apparently.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Suspending the NBA season? Is MLB next? MLS? It just seems surreal that it has come to this. Is it an over-reaction?

Professor Michael Osterholm, a man with a lot of experience in public health, says on Joe Rogan's podcast that shutting everything down may not be wise at this point as the way corona virus is transmitted, via the air, means that eventually, everyone will be exposed, regardless of what we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&t=3680s
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:Suspending the NBA season? Is MLB next? MLS? It just seems surreal that it has come to this. Is it an over-reaction?

Professor Michael Osterholm, a man with a lot of experience in public health, says on Joe Rogan's podcast that shutting everything down may not be wise at this point as the way corona virus is transmitted, via the air, means that eventually, everyone will be exposed, regardless of what we do.

I just watched that episode! Joe Rogan is fantastic! Dan Peterson and Lou Midgley could take some lessons of actually HOW to have great communication with people by watching Rogan.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:Suspending the NBA season? Is MLB next? MLS? It just seems surreal that it has come to this. Is it an over-reaction?

The evidence that the virus is capable of airborne transmission is practically non-existent. There is good evidence that social distance has a significant effect on spread, which would not be the case if there were airborne transmission.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Res Ipsa wrote:

The evidence that the virus is capable of airborne transmission is practically non-existent. There is good evidence that social distance has a significant effect on spread, which would not be the case if there were airborne transmission.

Could you cite where you get your evidence that it cannot be transmitted via the air?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

There is a difference between airborne transmission and transmission in droplets from a cough or sneeze. Is Rogan’s expert claiming the former or the latter?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Res Ipsa wrote:There is a difference between airborne transmission and transmission in droplets from a cough or sneeze. Is Rogan’s expert claiming the former or the latter?

You made a definitive statement that it is not transmitted via the air. So, I thought you had some evidence. Anyway, here is what the CDC website says ..... they are still trying to figure it out ..... https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html