COVID 19 is breaking shelves

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: COVID 19 is breaking shelves

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Gadianton wrote:I'd expect social media has all but taken over and church has become a formality, but it would be really interesting if that's wrong, and something about physically gathering with other members keeps them in the harness.

But if it dawns on the members that social media is more entertaining and fun than physically gathering with other members, well. . . then it's curtains for the church.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Gadianton wrote:I'd expect social media has all but taken over and church has become a formality, but it would be really interesting if that's wrong, and something about physically gathering with other members keeps them in the harness.

But if it dawns on the members that social media is more entertaining and fun than physically gathering with other members, well. . . then it's curtains for the church.

I don't quite understand why it hasn't dawned on members to consider why it is that the Apostles aren't running round handing out consecrated oil and telling Priesthood Holders to start healing the sick.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

The 12 should be traveling the world and healing. It is part of their charge in the Bible. That they don't routinely cause the regeneration of limbs on our vets is ... telling.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The funny thing is that the Mormon church deemphasized the 2-years of food storage thing.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng

They transitioned to 3 months "and longer" which is something I thought was actually a good idea, but that's a huge shift away from the two years they used to preach.

Anyway. I bring that up because that counsel seems to be the thing Mormons are holding onto. I tell you what, though. When you bring up the priesthood and curing disease they get REALLY defensive. They intuitively know it's BS, but man, they loop their brains into circles trying to justify that the priesthood doesn't work, but totally does, but really doesn't, but totally can, if God wants it to work, but often God doesn't, but then why do you need the priesthood if everything is left up to God's will, but it's not up to you, but it is, but just do it anyway if it doesn't work or does, who knows, because you have the priesthood and you ought to do it, because it's God's will.

See? Totally makes sense.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I like Moksha's idea of blessing the hand sanitizer. Perhaps priesthood blessings could make a come back if they started blessing the doctors and scientists instead of the patients. That way priesthood power could take credit when the doctors healed the patients or when scientists discovered a vaccine for covid-19, for example.

Incidentally, using some of the fund to help find a viable vaccine for this plague going around would be an excellent way to use priesthood power.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen