The Refiners Fire of SeN

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

The Refiners Fire of SeN

Post by _moksha »

I've pretty much worn myself out on the discussion portion of this thread at SeN. Who knew that posting could be so taxing?

I've developed a style and rhythm of posting that does not seem to fit in over there. Some of it has to do with my association with this board. While I really do not see myself as the herald of the Shades board, a lot of posters there want to thrust it upon me. Not sure how to handle it. Do I canter left and bow or do I give a nod and three-finger salute? Not prepared for SeN court etiquette.

Do I counterpunch with Kiwi and Louis or duck when Smokey swings at me? Ideas (because I need them)?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2020/03/responding-to-the-coronavirus.html#disqus_thread
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: The Refiners Fire of Sic et Non

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I think you're doing fine over there. They are like the cheerleaders that would continually get carried away with their team's humble greatness if no one checked them every once and a while.

Don't worry when Dr. P or the Midge or Pahoran try to blame you for the many years of victimhood they've supposedly suffered over here. They aren't suffering and they are more than welcome to come over here and defend their fantasies if they so desired. They love using you, David B, and others as punching bags because they need devils and enemies and would create them if they weren't around. They are defined by it, so your supposed "evil" motives are always discussed and you and others are continually labeled as the worst. How many times does Dr. Peterson make posts that refer to this board in order to provoke a response of "hate" or how many times has Midge referred to this place as a sewer, yet won't stop commenting about it? Pahoran is the same.

However, I understand how tiring it can be. I know I'm tired of the invective I get for questioning their "forceful" angry testimonies of possibilities they throw around like hand grenades, especially from the Midge and Pahoran (Kiwi57). How could Joseph Smith have known the future apologists would defend his lechery in this way? Lol.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

One definite difference between this board and Sic et Non is the very LDS tendency to invite people to leave. I remember hearing dozens of times growing up in Utah the refrain, "If you don't like it then leave". That infuriated me because they really had no right to ask someone to leave the State of Utah. Try saying that to someone when you are not in a predominantly Mormon area. This practice smacks of intolerance.

On this board, Shades has policy that does not allow anyone to ask another poster to leave. At Sic et Non, run of the mill posters exercise their LDS tendency to tell posters they disagree with to leave. I wish they would not do that. It seems wrong on many levels.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: The Refiners Fire of SeN

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I suggest a thorough watch and then re-watch of Mark Water’s 2004 magnum opus Mean Girls, starring none other than Lindsay Lohan and that smoke show Rachel McAdams. The SeN Plastics, so-called not for their physical beauty (I mean, c’mon), but for their cheap quality of academic apologia; whereas most universities have a ‘gold standard’ for their academia, it appears BYU has a ‘plastic standard’ with a fairly low quality-value and easily manufactured product (recycling topics, plagiarism, poor writing, and an in-house pencil whipped peer review, etc.).

The SeN Plastics need you, Moksha, to infiltrate their catty little in-group through “mirroring” where you can eventually supplant their ring leader through feigned friendship as you supply him with fattening health food, which he’ll greedily gobble down. Between the novel Corona Virus and his obesity, it shouldn’t take him long to claim his godhood, along with his bratty little cheerleader The Midge, wherein you can just totally-not-ban that waste of oxygen Pahoran and any others that clutter up your ‘living room’.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Tell those bastards over there that SHULEM is laughing at them and I dare them to come discuss the Facsimile No. 3 with me over here on Shade's board where free speech is protected.

They can take their pick:

Celestial Forum
Terrestrial Forum
Telestial Forum

Tell them that I'll take them all on at the same time with one hand tied behind my back and I'll kick Daniel Peterson's ass and make a fool of him in front of all the students and silly teachers at BYU.

Tell them Shulem sent you! Tell them they are chicken!

:twisted:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Moksha, you posting is for the readers and browsers to see how things are handled. How many come over here and read here and compare the quality of information put out here, and the kindergarten scholastics at Sic et Non? This happens far more than is supposed. Just be yourself and post as you can, and if it gets over whelming, take a few days off. That's what I do. I was intending on getting over there again. Obviously apologists arguments CANNOT survive here so they have to be there to control things. Otherwise, facts control them and that is always fatal for Mormonism, and they know it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha,

I think your posts are hilarious!

More important, your posts highlight how hyper-sensitive, defensive and angry DCP, Midgley and Kiwi are.

It’s an important part of DCP’s legacy that needs to be shown and recorded for posterity.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

moksha wrote:I've pretty much worn myself out on the discussion portion of this thread at SeN. Who knew that posting could be so taxing?

I've developed a style and rhythm of posting that does not seem to fit in over there. Some of it has to do with my association with this board. While I really do not see myself as the herald of the Shades board, a lot of posters there want to thrust it upon me. Not sure how to handle it. Do I canter left and bow or do I give a nod and three-finger salute? Not prepared for SeN court etiquette.

Do I counterpunch with Kiwi and Louis or duck when Smokey swings at me? Ideas (because I need them)?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2020/03/responding-to-the-coronavirus.html#disqus_thread

I've never understood why the Mopologists seem to take such issue with you, Moksha. Maybe they're envious of your cleverness and wit? I've never, ever seen you say anything cruel, or even vaguely mean. At worst, you are playfully poking fun at some of the apologists' more egregious transgressions. But it's so gentle: I just don't get their harshness towards you.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:I just don't get their harshness towards you.

Perhaps all that walking on the heavenly ziggurat carpet caused them to build up a huge static charge.
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

I think the main point of etiquette may just be to be serious. That's certainly a big apologetic issue.

Even more than most religions, I think, Mormonism is either true or ridiculous. It all rests too entirely on Joseph Smith's goofy books, and on the whopping pretense that the modern heirs to his hokey sex cult have mystical powers. So for non-Mormons to discuss Mormonism seriously always takes a great mental eye strain, kind of like those Magic Eye stereograms, just to see the Mormon world as if it weren't a bizarre cartoon. Blink too hard and you lose the illusion completely. It's a try-not-to-laugh challenge.

It seems to me that this fact must be a big challenge for apologetics, because I think it probably means that no matter how far into the Land of Oz the apologists may lead their listeners along the carefully tended Yellow Brick Road, the listeners are never more than a click of their heels away from being back in Kansas with the whole story having been just a weird dream. So I can't help thinking that the apologists can't afford to slip even slightly. They can joke around, even laugh at themselves, I suspect, but only in the carefully careless way that shows just how sure they really are of their view.

If that's right then genuine mockery, no matter how gentle, must be deadly to Mormon apologists. Even a blistering attack that takes their arguments seriously makes them breathe the sigh of relief that sword-wielding duelists must breathe when opponents raise their own blades ... instead of pulling out guns.