LDS Church gets $54 million in Stimulus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Icarus
_Emeritus

LDS Church gets $54 million in Stimulus

Post by _Icarus »

Through stimulus relief given to three different Brigham Young Universities, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints received $54M in stimulus payments. Meanwhile, small businesses and thousands of families are going bankrupt. Small business owners are losing all of their life savings over a financial cash-flow gap of just tens of thousands, while a tax-exempt institution sitting on a $100B rainy day fund receives $54M in tax payer-funded economic stimulus.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ ... HCVzS_Zolk

Someone please explain to me why an untaxed charity with over 100 BILLION dollars in assets is receiving 54M in stimulus payments.

There are no words to describe my repulsion for this behavior.

It is past time to start taxing churches.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church gets $54 million in Stimulus

Post by _kairos »

Gee the non church of Scientology probably
Garnered a few shekels to and my
RC church a few million dollars.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Do we know if they applied for it?
Do we know if they have accepted it?

If the answer to either is 'Yes' it is beyond belief.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

$54 million in "free" money? Why would they not take it?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Well, they ain’t paying their lawyers and accountants to sit on their asses. They probably had that ppwrk queued up and was submitted the second they could. Big advantage having a cadre of moneychangers on the dole over the little guy, no?

- Doc
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

These guys have no shame. How anyone can still follow them after finding this out is hard to fathom.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

kairos wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:44 pm
Gee the non church of Scientology probably
Garnered a few shekels to and my
RC church a few million dollars.
I doubt dianetics centers qualify, but there are a number of Catholic and other religious colleges on the list. The formula for this emergency funding is weighted toward married students. That is why BYU received more funds than any of the Utah public universities.

BYU was awarded $32 million. $16 million for students and $16 million for the Ensign Peak Investment Fund.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Icarus wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm
Through stimulus relief given to three different Brigham Young Universities, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints received $54M in stimulus payments. Meanwhile, small businesses and thousands of families are going bankrupt. Small business owners are losing all of their life savings over a financial cash-flow gap of just tens of thousands, while a tax-exempt institution sitting on a $100B rainy day fund receives $54M in tax payer-funded economic stimulus.

Someone please explain to me why an untaxed charity with over 100 BILLION dollars in assets is receiving 54M in stimulus payments.

I would like to see Dan Peterson and Lou Midgley's defense and discussion of this issue. Someone needs to raise it with them.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:54 pm
Icarus wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm

I would like to see Dan Peterson and Lou Midgley's defense and discussion of this issue. Someone needs to raise it with them.
I brought it up and their response was more of the same attack the questioner nonsense. https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... tizen.html (toward the end of the comments)

Be my guest to step into the fray. I think I need to sit it out for a minute. Anyway, I started calling DCP "coach" after he hurriedly stepped in to respond to my questioning a commenter that called his non-member cousins white trash while bearing his testimony. (on another thread) So, of course DCP or "coach" was there at the ready to coach this commenter on how he really didn't mean to look down on the non-members. It only looked that way to evil antis, of course. Call him coach peterson from now on if you like. I think it has potential.

I also think Kiwi57 should be called "water boy." That one has a nice ring to it, too.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

BYU is owned by the church, which could fill that $54 million dollar request some 2,000 times and still have a few billion in the bank.

Size wise, Ensign Peak assets are nearly 1/3 of the ENTIRE federal PPP allocation for small businesses. And still the church, via agents and lawyers at BYU, thought it was wise to fill out the forms and ask the government for stimulus money?

Shame.

Whether the money was requested in accordance with the law, or whether other institutions did this or that, is moot. BYU and the church apostles on its board should be a little bit more aware of what such a maneuver will do to the brand when word comes out. The shame list, when it comes out, will have an impact for years, maybe decades.