Master Timeline of Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics

Post by _Kishkumen »

I just want to bump this to draw people's attention to an interesting addition to the timeline:

8 November FARMS is incorporated. Its founder is John W. Welch. He is joined by Lew Cramer (now head of Coldwell Bankers' Salt Lake City commercial real estate office) and Clark Waddoups (now Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Utah), the first board members. As Welch would later reminisce, "It was exactly a quarter of a century ago that three lawyers (Lew Cramer, Clark Waddoups, and I) were driving up Sixth Street in Los Angeles to get on the Harbor Freeway on our way home. I was practicing tax law at the time, and in retrospect I think it no accident that I had developed some expertise in organizing and advising tax exempt organizations. I was about to file the articles for a new foundation that could make Book of Mormon research available to people all over the world and that could facilitate the good work of promising Latter-day Saint scholars. Well, all we needed was a name. As we pulled onto the freeway, the name "FARMS" was hatched. It got a good laugh at first, but none of us could forget it, nor has the general public." See Insights, vol. 24, no. 3 (2004) p. 4.

This is an expansion of the original entry. The new information comes from a speech Welch delivered to the FARMS Development Council dinner in 2004.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm
For example, John Welch first published about chiasmus in BYU Studies in 1969. That is definitely an important part of the story of FARMS. Last year the 50th anniversary of chiasmus was celebrated. I kid you not. If that doesn't point to the importance of Welch's work on chiasmus to 20th and 21st century LDS apologetics, I don't know what does.
Damn. Fifty years. I had no idea.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Stem wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:06 pm
2005 ended with the release of Rough Stone Rolling, and merry Smithmas. Such a big Mormon year, it felt, but little notice in the world of mopologetics.

Oh also in 2005 was the The Worlds of Joseph Smith conference:
https://byustudies.byu.edu/content/worlds-joseph-smith
Thank you, Stem! I appreciate these valuable contributions.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:09 pm
If someone has a link to the photos, I'd like to take a look.
If I'm not mistaken, I think these 24 photos are what set him off:

https://time.com/3783335/happy-valley-a ... pbringing/
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Analytics wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 pm
Holy Ghost wrote:

That makes much more sense than apologists being rattled by photos from the 1950s.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

By way of update, I announce that I have added a lot to the timeline. One of the most interesting threads in this is the relationship between Margaret Barker and the LDS scholarly community. One of the best sources for this history is Kevin Christensen's interview on the blog By Common Consent. See https://bycommonconsent.com/2008/09/26/ ... et-barker/

According to Christensen, Mormon writers started citing Barker's 1992 book as early as 1994. By 1999 a member of the LDS Church had contacted her to bring LDS scholarship to her attention. In 2003 she visited BYU. Her 2004 book included an interview with John W. Welch. On the whole, Barker will do a lot with the LDS scholarly community. It is a fascinating story in its own right.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Analytics wrote:
Holy Ghost wrote:

Thank you for the link to the pictures. Now, however, I am perplexed at why Mormon apologists would be triggered by those photos. Quite representative of life as I experienced and observed in Happy Valley.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Is the interaction between the ex-FARMS group and the Heartlanders (Rod Meldrum) included in the timeline?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:49 pm
Is the interaction between the ex-FARMS group and the Heartlanders (Rod Meldrum) included in the timeline?
That's on the list, but it is not on the timeline yet. Thank you for reminding me to work on that.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Analytics wrote:

EVERYONE: Be sure to click on the box superimposed over the lower-left corner of that first photograph in order to see the rest.

To this day, I still can't figure out why the brother-in-law has barbecue sauce slathered all over his lower legs in photo #17.