Tad Callister Cement & Barley proves Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

First he sets out parameters
We ought to be prepared to answer every gospel question we possibly can in the spirit of Peter’s injunction to the Saints: “be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you” (1 Peter 3:15). While we can answer many questions, sometimes the appropriate answer is, “I don’t know.” This should not be surprising. Rather, we should expect some unanswered questions for at least the following reasons:

One, God requires us to have faith. Mormon was about to record some “greater things,” when he said, “but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people” (3 Nephi 26:10-11).
https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... uth-183057
Even the Savior did not have the answer to every question during His mortal ministry. While stretched out upon the cross He cried out, “My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). There was no immediate answer at this crisis moment, but His faith in the Father never waned.

Faith, by its very nature, means we will not have all the answers. Nonetheless, some people “demand” the underlying rationale for every command or event in life — in essence they want a religion without faith, but they can’t have it — because no such thing exists.
No Tad, that isn't what people want. Tad is shying away from the fact that not all questions are equal. For instance "What is the meaning of life?" and "Why are KJV Bible extracts found in The Book of Mormon?" are different types of enquiry. One is philosophical, one is objective and evidential. People "in essence" want answers to those questions for which one can reasonably expect an answer. Such as "Why did the Church keep secret a hoard of >$100 billion?" and "Why is the Church only transparent about the things that are already in the public domain?" and, the aforementioned KJV content in the Book of Mormon - why is it in there Tad?
Four, historic and scientific truths often come in installments and therefore in the interim there may exist a seeming conflict between history or science on one hand and religion on the other, but in the end, they will be in perfect accord. We see this, for example, with regard to archaeological discoveries. For years, critics claimed that cement and barley did not exist in Book of Mormon times — they were anachronisms that “proved” the Book of Mormon a fraud. Then, after the passage of many years, archaeology revealed the real truth — cement and barley were discovered to have existed in Book of Mormon times. The question that had raised doubt in the skeptic, became one more confirmation for the man and woman of faith.
Really Tad? Cement & Barley?

Barley...
Apologist Robert R. Bennett of FARMS postulates that references to "barley" could refer to Hordeum pusillum, also known as "Little Barley", a species of grass native to the Americas. The seeds are edible, and this plant was part of the Pre-Columbian Eastern Agricultural Complex of cultivated plants used by Native Americans. Hordeum pusillum was unknown in Mesoamerica, where there is no evidence of pre-Columbian barley cultivation, but evidence exists that this plant was domesticated in North America in the Woodland periods contemporary with mound builder societies (early centuries A.D.).
http://www.mormonthink.com/book-of-morm ... didntexist
So is Tad promoting the idea that The Book of Mormon events took place in North America? Or is he just cherry picking pieces of information and not telling his readers the whole truth about them as it doesn't suit the belief he wants to hold onto and promote?
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Re: Tad Callister Cement & Barley proves Book of Mormon

Post by _Dr Moore »

I am confident that Callister will come to regret his aggressive foray into Mopologetics.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

"So is Tad promoting the idea that The Book of Mormon events took place in North America?"

Fairmormon tries to make a case that barley trade happened with Mesoamerica
https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2010/04 ... -of-Mormon
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

tapirrider wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:31 am
"So is Tad promoting the idea that The Book of Mormon events took place in North America?"

Fairmormon tries to make a case that barley trade happened with Mesoamerica
https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2010/04 ... -of-Mormon
A mere quibble and straining at a gnat. THE point is the Book of Mormon is true, not where it happened..... stupid anti-Mormon.... (quietly slips his apologetic hat off with a swift, deft motion, nods to Dr. Peterson and D. Midgley, and takes a bow)
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Did a lot of critics claimed that cement was not used in the Americas or is this a straw man argument?
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

sunstoned wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:27 am
Did a lot of critics claimed that cement was not used in the Americas or is this a straw man argument?
All ya gotta do is follow the logic........the Mayans had cement.... the Nephites are not nor ever were Mayan, the Book of Mormon mentions cement, therefore Jesus visited ancient America and Russell M. Nelson is the true prophet. See the connection?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

How does Tad Callister cement differ from regular cement, and how in the Hell does it prove the Book of Mormon??
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:43 am
How does Tad Callister cement differ from regular cement, and how in the Hell does it prove the Book of Mormon??
Allow me to refer you to the headline of Tad's lightweight 5 minute sacrament talk article..."Not always knowing is part of God’s plan"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Instead of searching for ephemeral and disjointed minutiae to prove the Church is true, I wish Church leaders would take a "believe it or not approach" and look to the comparative benefits of believing and belonging to inspire members. That way they would be forced to focus on why belonging to the Church is beneficial to its members. Set the apologetic brain trust at work in coming up with a list of reasons that ring true to its members. Talk about those reasons in General Conference.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:05 am
Instead of searching for ephemeral and disjointed minutiae to prove the Church is true, I wish Church leaders would take a "believe it or not approach" and look to the comparative benefits of believing and belonging to inspire members. That way they would be forced to focus on why belonging to the Church is beneficial to its members. Set the apologetic brain trust at work in coming up with a list of reasons that ring true to its members. Talk about those reasons in General Conference.
I think I grasp the idea here, but the problem is overwhelming. Belief is truly, without question entirely irrelevant to what actually just is. Belief, no matter how fervent, cannot replace what just is, i.e. reality. Reality does not care about what anyone's belief is. It will continue to be just what it is.