Why Schryver didn't publish.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Why Schryver didn't publish.

Post by _Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:09 am
If I may be so crude: this happened (i.e., no Schryver publication) because *both* the Brethren and the MI opposed it.
I don't think you're being crude. You hit the nail on the head. There must have been opposition against Schryver in which he was unable to prevail. What's funny is that the people who had the most interest in seeing Schryver publish his garbage are the APOSTATES of the Church! It was always the apostates who were greatly looking forward to his flop while apologists must have been worried about the embarrassing implications that would result in the fallout of having to defend such wacky theories. The General Authorities who are generally stupid dumb when it comes to anything Book of Abraham, found it easy to simply pull the plug. Then there is Daniel F Peterson, a lousy school teacher, still collects a check from BYU. But his opinion doesn't count.

Schryver! Have a blow for the nose.

Oh wow man . . . . cyphers.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Shulem wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm
I don't think you're being crude. You hit the nail on the head. There must have been opposition against Schryver in which he was unable to prevail. What's funny is that the people who had the most interest in seeing Schryver publish his garbage are the APOSTATES of the Church! It was always the apostates who were greatly looking forward to his flop while apologists must have been worried about the embarrassing implications that would result in the fallout of having to defend such wacky theories. The General Authorities who are generally stupid dumb when it comes to anything Book of Abraham, found it easy to simply pull the plug. Then there is Daniel F Peterson, a lousy school teacher, still collects a check from BYU. But his opinion doesn't count.
I think Will believed he had something at first, but I suspect even he realized it wasn't going to work and would only be an embarrassment. Not being able to publish seems more like an excuse to avoid looking stupid. Any honest person who can control their bias can see Joseph was making it up. It started here for me and then it wasn't hard to see other works like the Book of Mormon also did not do well under the microscope.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

It was almost like Will had one foot in the door and one foot outside. The Book of Abraham had to be a real test for him because it concerned him so much. He was anxious to defend the chapters (story) of the Book of Abraham and he valued the KEP to some degree but the Facsimiles seemed to stick in his craw and he would would have been happy to see those go away. Those Facsimiles are a terrible liability for the Book of Abraham as a whole but it must be understood that the Facsimiles are part of the Book of Abraham that Smith published in the Times and Seasons. The Church today maintains the integrity of the entire presentation by publishing the chapters, Facsimiles, and the controversial Explanations.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Shulem wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:03 pm
Those Facsimiles are a terrible liability for the Book of Abraham as a whole but it must be understood that the Facsimiles are part of the Book of Abraham that Smith published in the Times and Seasons. The Church today maintains the integrity of the entire presentation by publishing the chapters, Facsimiles, and the controversial Explanations.
The church can never get away from the problem even if they remove the Book of Abraham from canon. You cannot undue history of what Joseph did and claimed.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Is Schryver still active in the apologetic community? I have not seen him on any of the boards for a long time. I believe he was friends with DCP at one time.