Rejecting Polygamy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Rejecting Polygamy

Post by _moksha »

The issue of polygamy may come to the forefront now that Utah has officially decriminalized polygamy. The inexorable push for "The Principle" to take its preeminent place in LDS theology may have already begun with the Brethren giving their required tacit consent for the passage of that legislation.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

moksha wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:45 am
The issue of polygamy may come to the forefront now that Utah has officially decriminalized polygamy. The inexorable push for "The Principle" to take its preeminent place in LDS theology may have already begun with the Brethren giving their required tacit consent for the passage of that legislation.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html
The true test for the modern Mormon Church is yet to come. Once Nelson's successor announces the need to restore that which God felt forced to rescind, hell may break loose. Well...I"m just saying...it used to be voiced that polygamy would have to come back. Come on...they're crazy enough. Aren't they?
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Makes women chattel. Nothing that makes women chattel is godly.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

https://www.comeuntochrist.org/common-questions wrote:
Do Mormons practice polygamy

No. Early in Mormon history, the Lord directed that a limited number of Church members practice plural marriage. However, revelation was received in the late 1800’s to end that practice. Since then, the Church has taught that monogamy is the marriage practice that the Lord commands today. Although some people today still practice polygamy, these people are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
See, Kish, the Church doesn't practice polygamy just because apostles and prophets today are sealed to multiple women. They can't practice it in this life but have to wait to find out if they can in the next life. Perhaps the Lord will put an end to it there too and those brethren will have to settle for just one woman.

It's a wonderful thing that the Lord gave a revelation to end the practice through the Manifesto. Surely, the whole Church rejoiced at the Lord's revelation, especially the prophet (Woodruff) who received the word of the Lord. Woodruff was no doubt overjoyed at hearing the voice of the Lord speak to him concerning his divine will that polygamy must end.

Isn't it glorious? Isn't it wonderful? You see, Kish, the Church really is true.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Stem wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:08 pm
The true test for the modern Mormon Church is yet to come. Once Nelson's successor announces the need to restore that which God felt forced to rescind, hell may break loose. Well...I"m just saying...it used to be voiced that polygamy would have to come back. Come on...they're crazy enough. Aren't they?
Currently, the majority of LDS women would not support The Principle. They would rebel, and some countries would put the Church on their poop list. The Church would need to reintroduce polygamy on a small scale, perhaps building a residential polygamist enclave around a newly constructed Temple.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

moksha wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:45 am
Currently, the majority of LDS women would not support The Principle. They would rebel, and some countries would put the Church on their poop list. The Church would need to reintroduce polygamy on a small scale, perhaps building a residential polygamist enclave around a newly constructed Temple.
True, but I don't know what LDS women are going to do.
The gender gap in Utah’s Mormon population has widened since 1990, when the female-to-male gender ratio was 52-to-48. In 2008, the gender ratio changed to 60-to-40, according to a Trinity College’s American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) as cited in the Time Magazine article.

For Mormons in Utah, that’s the equivalent of three LDS women for every two LDS men.
https://universe.byu.edu/2015/10/20/rat ... than-men1/
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:53 am
The gender gap in Utah’s Mormon population has widened since 1990, when the female-to-male gender ratio was 52-to-48. In 2008, the gender ratio changed to 60-to-40, according to a Trinity College’s American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) as cited in the Time Magazine article.

For Mormons in Utah, that’s the equivalent of three LDS women for every two LDS men.
https://universe.BYU.edu/2015/10/20/rat ... than-men1/
Some of that is due to the aging population and women outliving men. Wonder if there is any plan on sealing Sister Sheri Dew to President Nelson upon his passing. I imagine Wendy and Sheri would take comfort in being Sister Wives.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 am
Some of that is due to the aging population and women outliving men. Wonder if there is any plan on sealing Sister Sheri Dew to President Nelson upon his passing. I imagine Wendy and Sheri would take comfort in being Sister Wives.
True, but it was 52-to-48 in 1990.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Lemmie wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:52 pm
Not that I give a rat’s ass, but she clearly does. What an utterly bizarre and eternally weird cult this is.
It is weird cult, but Mormons are happy.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:50 pm
Lemmie wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:52 pm
Not that I give a rat’s ass, but she clearly does. What an utterly bizarre and eternally weird cult this is.
It is weird cult, but Mormons are happy.
Not in my experience.

Think of the Mormons who post here and tell me how happy each seems to be.