Why is the Church still promoting the idea that black skin is inferior?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Why is the Church still promoting the idea that black skin is inferior?

Post by _Shulem »

President NelSatan wrote:We join with many throughout this nation and around the world who are deeply saddened at recent evidences of racism and a blatant disregard for human life. We abhor the reality that some would deny others respect and the most basic of freedoms because of the color of his or her skin.
Profit vs. profit:

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so."

Folks, that's Mormonism. Cult leader Brigham Young himself said it and believed it.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 pm
Their underwear as colored as the curse?!? HOWLING LAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apologetics is just so lost these days........
Repent, ye loathsome dark minded man and cease to murmur! You don't get to wear temple Jesus jammies anymore because you're unworthy. So, put on black undies instead and pull them up tight until it hurts. Give yourself an Aaronic Priesthood snuggy.

:lol:
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

How?
Perhaps all copies of the Book of Mormon could be rounded up destroyed and replaced with improved versions. Some people might notice the trick.
Perhaps it could be claimed that Joseph had the flue and garbled the translation. Now is time for new revelation making correction. Who would not wonder about the timing?
Perhaps it could be argued that the land was always full of darker skinned people but because nobody making records thought to mention that fact later authors made up a curse story.

Perhaps but it is a sticky problem.

I wonder when it was that Nephites were supposed to first have noticed all those darkskinned folks living in their land.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 pm
How?
Perhaps all copies of the Book of Mormon could be rounded up destroyed and replaced with improved versions. Some people might notice the trick.
Perhaps it could be claimed that Joseph had the flue and garbled the translation. Now is time for new revelation making correction. Who would not wonder about the timing?
Simply remove it from the online version, remove it from all future print runs, issue a statement listing which parts have been removed and are to be ignored in the "now-out-of-date" version of the Book of Mormon (like they did with the recently published Book of Mormon study manual). Why would it need to be attempted as a trick?
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I have a question wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:24 am
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 pm
How?
Simply remove it from the online version, remove it from all future print runs, issue a statement listing which parts have been removed and are to be ignored in the "now-out-of-date" version of the Book of Mormon (like they did with the recently published Book of Mormon study manual). Why would it need to be attempted as a trick?
I do not think historical documents go out of date. The changes would be like forgeries. Now if the book was considered 19th century fiction it could be more easily updated for modern use if desired. Even if the book was changed old versions would stick around perhaps as especially valuable. In either case there would be people holding the first version as the one not corrupted by modern changes.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

President Nelson wrote:We join with many throughout this nation and around the world who are deeply saddened at recent evidences of racism and a blatant disregard for human life. We abhor the reality that some would deny others respect and the most basic of freedoms because of the color of his or her skin.
The total lack here of awareness by Nelson of how his own church denied the most basic of priesthood authority and temple blessings to someone because of the color of his or her skin, within Nelsons own life time and a policy he consistently supported pre-1978 is astounding.

I predict in 2045 the LDS prophet David Bednar will make a similar announcement.
President Bednar in 2045 wrote:We join with many throughout this nation and around the world who are deeply saddened at recent evidences of bigotry and a blatant disregard for human life. We abhor the reality that some would deny others respect and the most basic of freedoms because his or her gender choice.
It is amazing how consistently the Mormon God is about 50 years behind in social moral standards.
_ldsfaqs
_Emeritus

Post by _ldsfaqs »

Why is the Church still promoting the idea that black skin is inferior?
Because it's NOT referring to black "skin", it is a metaphor in relation to "purity", a.k.a. righteousness.
Similar types of metaphor is used all through the Bible/Scriptures (as the below videos show).

The ONLY issue with this particular metaphor is because it was a bit more "accurate" due to Lamanite inter-marriage with locals who tended to be "darker" in skin color compared to the Nephites who didn't inter-marriage as much.
However, this is not 100% correct either, because inter-marriage is the only thing that can explain Nephite population growth.
Thus, ultimately, this cannot in ANY manner be in relation to "race" or "skin color", but in relation to righteousness.

Some of I've stated is well explained in these videos.

Black & White Skins in Light of Ancient Garment Color Symbolism in Book of Mormon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQFev9IX-70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64PJgxEWhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0_nRgL9cE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzp70cBiLV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFhnuBsqxA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmi-Ya9ySY8

(Please ignore the eccentricness of the music and the speaker, but focus on the FACTS presented, they will allow you to understand scripture better, in relation to various "metaphors" (i.e. Color Symbolism and otherwise) being used to describe righteousness, or the absence of it.)

The problem here is NOT that the Book of Mormon is "racist", it's that Anti-Mormons do not understand the Word of God.
Darkness clouds their minds and souls in understanding Truth and Light.
The total lack here of awareness by Nelson of how his own church denied the most basic of priesthood authority and temple blessings to someone because of the color of his or her skin
Correction... Priesthood authority and Temple Blessings were ONLY denied to those considered of "African" Lineage, including some WHITE individuals being denied it.
Individuals who were just as BLACK as any African black, certain groups of Central/South America, Natives of the Islands, those of India, etc. were NOT denied the Priesthood.

Thus, it is 100% FALSE to say that those of "black skin" were denied the priesthood.

The policy denying the priesthood to the African lineage was entirely due to an interpretation of scripture, and due to a revelation of policy to Brigham Young. Given that the policy was lifted when institutional racism and with most people racism itself was finally gone from America in the mainstream, it's not a wonder why it existed in the first place, and why and when it was finally lifted.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://i1.wp.com/www.mormonstories.org ... 68x538.jpg

“Negro” is NOT a term referencing SKIN. NEGRO is a WORD meant to describe a color of CLOTHING. NEGRO is BLACK in SPANISH, and it’s clear that ANTIMORMONS don’t GET IT.

- Doc
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Darkness clouds their minds and souls in understanding Truth and Light.
Evil despot and false prophet Brigham Poop says, "Death on the Spot"!

Evil Mormons! Deceivers! Mormonism is a putrid disease.

Brigham Poop was a murderer.

:twisted:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I forgive everyone except for ldsfaqs.

His sins will not be forgiven because he's not a Christian.