The return to Church - more health roulette

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: The return to Church - more health roulette

Post by _I have a question »

Dr LOD wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:37 pm
A few days ago I had a quick conversation with my GA friend. Here is how he understood what may happen.

-multiple short meetings, with the attempt to at least get each family/individual an opportunity to attend once a month.

-Any symptoms asked not to attend.

-Masks requested, but not required

-social distancing in the chapel, family groups sit together

-Sacrament tray specific to the family group.

-no singing

-good hand hygiene with sacrament preparation. required masks for these people.

That being said that individual does not plan on attending a sacrament meeting due to age and other medical conditions.

Overall it seems like they are playing it safe with that criteria. From how I see Mormons in the community with their lax behavior if this is how the church does it it may be a bit of a shock.
Multiple meetings would be an inordinate burden on the Bishopric.
How many Sacrament trays do they think wards have? I think our ward has 4 of each type, so that limits the meeting. 1 for each family group, 1 for each person on the stand (assuming they are from differing family groups), I for each of the people administering the Sacrament.

They just haven't thought this through and, as usual, are letting the local leadership carry the consequences.

I can't wait for the SP's to go round checking the foyers are artwork compliant whilst the local leaders are trying to figure out how to hold meetings without infecting or killing members of the ward.

I wonder how many ward meetings each of the Apostles attends between now and October Conference...
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

I have a question wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:47 pm
Multiple meetings would be an inordinate burden on the Bishopric.
How many Sacrament trays do they think wards have? I think our ward has 4 of each type, so that limits the meeting. 1 for each family group, 1 for each person on the stand (assuming they are from differing family groups), I for each of the people administering the Sacrament.

They just haven't thought this through and, as usual, are letting the local leadership carry the consequences.

I can't wait for the SP's to go round checking the foyers are artwork compliant whilst the local leaders are trying to figure out how to hold meetings without infecting or killing members of the ward.

I wonder how many ward meetings each of the Apostles attends between now and October Conference...

I asked the same question on sacrament trays.

You are right they really have not thought this through. It doesn't matter because the type of individual who is a local leader now probably thinks COVID is a liberal hoax. And valiant compliance will only get them more wives in the Celestial Kingdom.

I really don't think an apostle will tolerate any possible covid exposure. They caution comes out of selfishness, they all want to be the prophet some day, and are hoping COVID picks off one of their colleagues ahead of them.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

50/50 chance this woman is gonna get Corona?

The diseased sacrament trays of the Mormon Church are trays of germs, viruses, and death.

BUT, if you survive sacrament meeting you'll surely meet disease at the temple veil. All it take is one dirty hand and then lickety-split everyone has it!

We Welcome you to the Corona Temple

Meet Corona at the veil
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Maybe one of you apostates can go to sacrament meeting to see how the sacrament is passed, etc., and report back to us. :wink:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:27 am
Maybe one of you apostates can go to sacrament meeting to see how the sacrament is passed, etc., and report back to us. :wink:
How about YOU go and see if you're lucky enough not to catch Corona while doing it?

PS. I'm proud to be an apostate. It's honorable and noble.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Lemmie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:11 pm
Surely there will be a policy change? At least temporarily? In my spouse’s catholic mass, only one person, two at most, both adults, touch the host before it’s placed in one’s hand. There is a hand sanitizer dispenser upfront and as the people go up to assist they literally clean their hands right before touching anything. And that was before the current situation. The wine is optional and even before the pandemic many people didn’t partake. There is no judgment of those who don’t.
Of course not because most Catholics don't take their religion seriously and they are a bunch of hypocrites.
Lemmie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:11 pm
I tried to explain Mormon sacrament to my husband, that teenagers handle and touch all of the bread (which comes from god only knows where) and water, and then younger teenagers hand the trays to someone at the end of a full row where at least one child grubs around in the tray touching every piece before picking one, and then sloshes the water around for good measure. Not that the adults are any better, since at least 2 or 3 or more touch the tray and breath on it and then on you as they manhandle their multiple kids to get the trays moved along. I read one young mother’s account where she despaired of ever attending a sacrament meeting where she would NOT have to tell at least one of her five children under eight to quit picking their nose right before touching the bread tray.
But at least Utah and Idaho have a low coronavirus death rate. Don't cherry-pick. Haven't you seen the news about the mess in Catholic Brazil?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:45 pm
Lemmie wrote:There is no judgment of those who don’t.
Just the opposite of the Mormon Church in which members are judged for not conforming.
Catholics do the same thing.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The safest sacrament route would be for each member to take the bread and water with their spiritual hands and mouth, without a sacrament tray even being past. Fifty years from now this period could be discussed as the time of the Miracle Sacraments in General Conference meetings on holovision platforms.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:39 am
msnobody wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:27 am
How about YOU go and see if you're lucky enough not to catch Corona while doing it?

PS. I'm proud to be an apostate. It's honorable and noble.
AMEN to that!
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

In my area, bishops and stake presidents in coordination with local and state government officials are being allowed to determine a time table and manner in which members will come back to meetings. What could go wrong when all these highly trained scientifically informed non-political or non-religiously motivated individuals make such life threatening decisions?

What is it a prophet does again?