Senator Romney marchs for Black Lives Matters

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Senator Romney marchs for Black Lives Matters

Post by _moksha »

Senator Mitt Romney from Utah was out marching in support of Black Lives Matters. I think of this as a matter of doing the right thing. Support for justice need not be just a Democrat thing, even though this does stand as a clear rebuke to Trump. This action by Romney has drawn support from both the Salt Lake Tribune and even the Deseret News. Most of the reader's responses in the Deseret News were positive to Romney. It would not surprise me that even SeN has a blog article on this march.

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads ... matter.jpg
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Senator Romney marchs for Black Lives Matters

Post by _I have a question »

Mitt Romney pays 10% of his income to, and sustains an organisation that actively believes and promotes the following:
21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

He actively taught this belief as a missionary, he actively believes and funds this message now.
Senator Romney should be challenged on this in public.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Conscientious Mormons are not bound to any racial hatred by that writing. It is one of those bits and flecks of the past.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Maybe we really need a flip-flopping technocrat. I mean that seriously, as long as he tends to flip-flop in the right direction.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

moksha wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:13 am
Conscientious Mormons are not bound to any racial hatred by that writing. It is one of those bits and flecks of the past.
I think a Mormon in public office is duty bound to make his position on 2nd Nephi explicitly known. If he did that the Q15 might feel inclined to remove such items from the Canon. Today (the anniversary of the ending of the Priesthood Ban) would be a hugely significant date on which the Church could make some amends by doing exactly that.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It's not about one specific religion's racism however. It s about all of humanity. This is a vastly larger world problem than the mere blip of Mormonism is on the scene. Romney is correct, now if only the rest of the Mormons and their short sighted leaders would get a clue and get involved. The police problem n our country is vastly worse than the religious one, solve the worse problem first.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am proud of Mitt Romney for doing the right thing. He is doing the right thing.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mitt Romney's action might allow some with blinders to see what injustices African Americans have endured at the hands of the police. Once enlightened this group can focus their religious and ethical values on demanding that police behave in a respectful and lawful manner toward all citizens.
_Billy Shears
_Emeritus

Post by _Billy Shears »

I have a question wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 am
moksha wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:13 am
I think a Mormon in public office is duty bound to make his position on 2nd Nephi explicitly known. If he did that the Q15 might feel inclined to remove such items from the Canon. Today (the anniversary of the ending of the Priesthood Ban) would be a hugely significant date on which the Church could make some amends by doing exactly that.
I would suggest that the sacred texts of all revealed religions contain ignorant and bigoted doctrines. While it would be ideal for everybody to honestly and accept these old books for what they really are, I'm quite willing to settle for ignoring them on the condition that their adherents do likewise. That being the case, hats off for Mitt Romney and his willingness to take a stand. Not being under Trump's finger must be a liberating feeling for a Republican.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:16 pm
I am proud of Mitt Romney for doing the right thing. He is doing the right thing.
I’ve come to be a fan of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. I think this is good, and I’m glad to see both him and the evangelical group he was with join the march.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951