The Church on wrong side of LGBT Supreme Court outcome

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

The Church on wrong side of LGBT Supreme Court outcome

Post by _I have a question »

Five years after legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide, the Supreme Court has disrupted the battle over LGBTQ rights yet again.

Justices ruled 6-3 Monday that it’s unlawful to fire someone for being gay or transgender. The federal ban on sex discrimination in the workplace covers sexual orientation and gender identity-based discrimination, the court said.
https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2020/6/ ... tus-ruling
Moore’s organization, along with Catholic leaders and other faith groups, filed a Supreme Court brief last fall urging the justices to rule against the LGBTQ employees. They claimed that a ban on firing someone for being gay or transgender could disrupt a church’s ability to require employees to respect religious teachings.

In a similar brief, leaders from Brigham Young University and other religiously affiliated schools argued that redefining sex discrimination in the employment context would lead to adjustments to a variety of other laws.

A win for LGBTQ workers might eventually disrupt student housing rules, health care policy and faith-based colleges’ tax-exempt status, they wrote.

“Altering the settled meaning of Title VII would negatively impact faith-based institutions of higher education in significant and far-reaching ways,” the brief from religious schools said.
It’s always about protecting that tax exempt status. Let’s hope those fears expressed by “leaders from BYU” are founded and come to fruition.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: The Church on wrong side of LGBT Supreme Court outcome

Post by _Shulem »

This means that closeted gays working for the CHURCH can now legally and lawfully come out of the closet and live their lives naturally as happy gay people. There is nothing the Church can do about it. Firing employees for being gay is a violation of the law and subject to the consequences of federal retribution, lawsuits, and the ire of the public. The temples will become targets for protesters.

I will gladly picket and march in front of the Dallas Texas Temple with my pride flag. That actually sounds like fun.

Hmmm.
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:06 pm
This means that closeted gays working for the CHURCH can now legally and lawfully come out of the closet and live their lives naturally as happy gay people. There is nothing the Church can do about it. Firing employees for being gay is a violation of the law and subject to the consequences of federal retribution, lawsuits, and the ire of the public.
I don't think that's true. It will be a temple recommend issue, not officially a gay issue. No court will tell them what they can and can't have in the temple recommend criteria.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

NorthboundZax wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:22 pm
I don't think that's true. It will be a temple recommend issue, not officially a gay issue. No court will tell them what they can and can't have in the temple recommend criteria.
I think the Church and BYU are very concerned about this new ruling by the Supreme Court.

A big issue the Church faces now, is that religious exemptions do not always hold up in court, especially in cases involving LGBT rights, and many courts have interpreted the exemption narrowly, ruling that Title VII exempts religious employers from religious discrimination only when it does not adversely affect a member of a protected class (LGTB).

If I had to guess, the Church will eventually be taken to court on this issue and the Church will not prevail. Times are a changing.....
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

WHAT!!!!!? The Conservative, Trump Stacked, Religious Right, Tea Baggers, Court said "we are all equal under the law".

Well all Praise and Glory be to Google GOD and her son eBay and the Holy Toaster youtube. Right is Right for today.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

NorthboundZax wrote:
Shulem wrote:
This means that closeted gays working for the CHURCH can now legally and lawfully come out of the closet and live their lives naturally as happy gay people. There is nothing the Church can do about it. Firing employees for being gay is a violation of the law and subject to the consequences of federal retribution, lawsuits, and the ire of the public.
First, not all employment with the Church is based on a temple recommend. Many work for the Church and don't have recommends, right? Those people are under no contract to abide by the principles set out in temple recommend questions.

I can see lawsuits coming! The Church is in for it.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:55 pm
If I had to guess, the Church will eventually be taken to court on this issue and the Church will not prevail. Times are a changing.....
You can count on it. There are many people employed by the Church today who going to come clean and out of closet. They can't be fired for who they are!

I personally will take up signs and the gay flag and picket the Dallas Temple if they trample on the rights of gays to have employment. Gays will picket the temples worldwide and make such a showing that the Church will be forced to close their temples.

And, the only good Mormon temple is a closed Mormon temple. They are like whore houses to the Lord with their secret stolen Masonic rites.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I DARE the Church to fire someone because they are gay!

I dare it!

:twisted:

To the Temples we go to march and protest!!

Shame on you!
Shame on you!
Shame on you!
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

NorthboundZax wrote:
Shulem wrote:
Gay single members are allowed to hold temple recommends as long as they obey the LDS phony laws of chastity.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

What a horrible, horrible Church and institution:
BYU Honor code wrote:Can members of our campus community who identify as LGBTQ or SSA be disciplined for going on a date, holding hands and kissing?
Elder Johnson in his letter counsels, “Same-sex romantic behavior cannot lead to eternal marriage and is therefore not compatible with the principles included in the Honor Code.” Therefore, any same-sex romantic behavior is a violation of the principles of the Honor Code.
The Mormon Church is simply horrible, an abomination. Disgusting Church.