DCP "Apologizes" for Anti-Strangite Writings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

DCP "Apologizes" for Anti-Strangite Writings

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Boy, the past few days in Mopologetics have been mighty interesting. First, we have DCP melting down on "SeN" over his perception that he's been accused of "hating" on others' religious beliefs. He evidently felt it was so important to get the message out that (per a reliable "informant") he also posted a link on Facebook to his "SeN" entry. But this seems to have backfired. Just take a look at this comment:
John Hajicek wrote:Daniel: I don't often criticise you, but this new curriculum vitae doesn't mention your bigoted writings on James Strang. I am a member of the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" at Voree, Wisconsin, which settled there in 1835 and stayed there in 1844 when Joseph Smith was killed. We are the last 19th century church still identifying as Mormons, since your church has disavowed that they are Mormons. There are enough unkind things in your article on James Strang to make you one of the more purposefully hateful and deliberately aspersion-casting anti-Mormons writing today about Mormon witnesses.

Nearly every unquoted fact in your article (on James Strang) was factually inaccurate, and the rest of the article was a carefully orchestrated collection of anti-Mormon quotes designed to malign a minority Mormon and the witnesses to his scriptures. Your writing in-between the fake facts and mean-spirited quotes has subtle differences from your writing on Joseph Smith, such as writing "James Strang started his own sect." You don't write that way about Joseph Smith or Brigham Young. Imagine reading one-sided hit-piece in this language about Joseph Smith and his witnesses, in a modern newspaper.

You spent so much effort to attack a minority faith, a faith so small it probably seemed harmless to you. Political correctness says do not bully large minorities -- but small minorities can still be bullied because they are defenseless.

There is so much more to be said about Brigham Young than you can say about James Strang.

https://www.deseret.com/2011/6/9/203732 ... d-his-sect
Hajicek, by the way, is in intriguing and mercurial figure: he refers to himself, on his website, as "a sort of “Indiana Jones” of American religious history, always on a quest to discover some legendary relic said to be sacred." He also maintains the site, "Mormonism.com," and he is evidently enough of an authority that he was cited more than once by the SL Trib after the Church paid $35 million for the printer's MS of the Book of Mormon.

Well, what does one do when the Indiana Jones of American Religious History accuses you of "bigoted writings on James Strang"? See for yourself:
Daniel Peterson wrote:I'm sorry that you so disliked the article, John Hajicek. I relied, in writing it, on the best scholarship that I knew. Incidentally, I bear absolutely no ill will toward your group. My purpose in writing the article was to defend my own beliefs. If any civil rights violations or bullying or violence resulted from my column, you have my apologies. I intended nothing of the sort.
Why does he always refer to people by their full names like that? In any case, there is sort of an apology here: if "civil rights violations or bullying or violence" happened, then he's sorry. If it was mere offense though? Then Hajicek, presumably, can blow it out his ass. And the conversation goes on:
Hajicek wrote:Daniel Peterson, at first this looked like an apology, and then I realized it was not. I could write a worse article about Brigham Young, or even Joseph Smith, for that matter, if I picked and chose the worst quotes from scholars and put them all into one article. Your facts are wrong, dates are wrong, other numbers are wrong, and you say things like "James Strang started his own sect" when you would never say "Joseph Smith started his own sect." You would never write about racist Oliver, unstable Martin, or the apostate Whitmers the way you do the witnesses of Strang's plates. You would wince if someone wrote about your witnesses the way you write about mine.
Peterson wrote:I didn't pick "the worst quotes from scholars," John Hajicek. I went to the best scholars of whom I was aware and chose passages that were relevant to my point. That's it. There was absolutely no malice. I don't even have any special INTEREST in your group. I was making an argument about something else. I understand that you're angry with me. I'm sorry about that. And, of course, if there is better scholarship of which I should be aware, I'll have a look at it before I write on the topic again -- which I may or may not ever do.
To be honest, this seems a lot more sincere and authentic. *This* I can understand: it's a scholar who did his best, but still managed to piss people off. He's sorry that he angered some of the readership, and, if he revisits the topic later, he pledges to do better. All fine and good, right? Except that Hajicek isn't buying it:
John Hajicek wrote:[T]here is plenty of original material in scholarly and research libraries. Dan quoted from sources who were contemporaries (and friends) of Fawn Brodie, to put it into perspective. Strang doesn't have a BYU to refute all the falsehoods from people like Dan quoting a 1930 Milo Quaife, and I don't have time, either. You can out [sic] together a pile of quotes from scholarly books against any important Mormon figure. He did it as a one-sided hit job. I mean, how did he write an entire article about the 11 witnesses Strang had, without ever quoting from one of their two joint testimonials or many private testimonials? Yet, he relies on rumor and hearsay. And he wrote the whole article without a mention of the witnesses who stayed faithful to Strang to the end, more notably than any of the three did for Joseph. And for what purpose was the [sic] Dan's deception? Proving the Book of Mormon true, by deceit? Whatever it is, it reads to a member exactly like an anti-Mormon article. Like, why attack Joseph Smith with a one-sided hit piece about the Book of Mormon witnesses? You'd say that was hate. And his facts are just wrong with dates and numbers. It grates like when someone says "John Smith's first edition of the Book of Mormon was 625 pages long and was printed in 1832, and he invented his own cult with cardinals and priests." Aren't we better than that?
DCP wrote:"Deception," John Hajicek? "A one-sided hit job"? You're being quite unjust.
Very interesting! You have to wonder if the Mopologists are suffering from selective memories. Speaking of memories, I was reminded of a related thread authored by the invaluable commentator "Tom," on a very similar subject. It's worth pointing out that this also attracted the attention of Jeremy Runnells, of "CES Letter" notoriety.

When you take all of this into account, it's no wonder that Moksha and Dr. Shades were banned. This whole notion--i.e., that the Mopologists are disrespectful to others' faith--has metastasized into a full-blown, legitimate issue. I wonder: How does the "new" Maxwell Institute publicly feel about others' faith traditions and claims? If they take others' claims and beliefs seriously, does that mean--per the Mopologists--that they're allowing "uncontested slam-dunks"?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: DCP "Apologizes" for Anti-Strangite Writings

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Excellent find! Peterson is flat out lying. All he could ever write was "hit jobs." Hajicek destroys Peterson and Peterson knows he is had. Everything he wrote for FARMS was an attack on others' faith and religion. Peterson can't lie any more credibly than Donald Trump.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Cassius U rises to new heights with this post. My hope is for my son to be able to gain admittance into such a prestigious institution and study under the tutelage of such incredible scholars.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote: Very interesting! You have to wonder if the Mopologists are suffering from selective memories.
Bingo.

In this worthy cause, the only thing worth remembering is the diligent defense of the Kingdom. Everything else is fodder to that aim. No worth remembering than an individual bullet in WW2, or a syllable in an epic rap battle. It can't possibly be a "one-sided hit piece" if the thing being "hit" is hardly a whisp, wholly treated with apathy in committed memory.

Dan isn't lying -- he just doesn't give a damn about Hajicek or his feelings. And he never would, except for the fact that Hajicek calls him to the floor, points out that Dan's writing is functionally no different from a hateful one-sided hit piece.

Complete the sentence:

You're being quite unjust by demanding fairness and accountability.

------------------

Incidentally, have a look at the following private exchange between DCP and myself, on April 23 after I called him out publicly for his horrifically bad faith, as evidenced by daily violations of his good word to "pretty much ignore MDB" as per our private settlement of the very public/failed $10,000 Interpreter donation deal.
Dr. Moore: Again, you're trying to excuse your unwillingness to ignore MDB in your blog, as promised, by renegotiating the terms of the deal. Whatever is written at MDB, by anyone, is irrelevant to whether or not you are obliged to keep your word. At least, that is how honest people think. I don't know what morality you believe excuses you from keeping your word, but the double standard, professor, is all yours. (And as for smug, self-righteous superiority, what beautiful alliteration to describe the trio of you at SeN when interacting with those of lesser "faith")

Daniel Peterson: You’re being quite unjust.
I don’t imagine that you’ll take up my offer, but I would be perfectly willing to meet you face to face when and if that’s ever possible.
I heartily dislike the demonization that so often occurs in social media.
(bold mine)

So that's the pattern. Great find, Scratch.

Dan has been attempting precisely the same blame shifting on me for over 6 months now. He continues to rail against MDB almost daily -- violating the contract and his good word, then I call him out for blatant bad faith on his promise, and he throws a tantrum to protest that the fault is on ME for being "quite unjust."

Ahem!

If people are calling attention to the same problem, maybe consider that a signal? That the fault does, in fact, lie with you, sir. It isn't some twisted contrary indicator to continue cashing that blank check, doing and saying whatever "defends at all hazards" without a care in the world for collateral damage. Then to scream and protest when called to account for actions that harm or deceive... doesn't come off as very enlightened.

Do the brethren endorse this strategy? Do BYU administrators?
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

I thought this rationalization was interesting. "My purpose in writing the article was to defend my own beliefs."

This rationalization used to be more common and apologists would justify their nastiness because it is perfectly right and good to take the gloves off when you are defending your own beliefs, however, it is morally wrong to offensively attack somebody else's belief, even if your criticisms are sincere, well informed, and offered in a polite tone.

It seems that he thinks that while it is wrong for others to take the offense against his beliefs, it is right for him to take the offense against others; because his offense isn't really offense, it is really just the best defense.
Last edited by Gladness on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Dr. Moore asks about the apologetic strategy employed by DCP and his gang:

"Do the brethren endorse this strategy? Do BYU administrators?"

I think at least some used to from Maxwell's no layups speech and perhaps some still do from Holand's approval of no layups in his Maxwell institute speech that Midge paraded around.

One wonders if it works in keeping more faithful in or whether it turns off more, pushing them out? Or perhaps as in my case, the defense lawyer/political hack tactics they are forced to use only confirms the emptiness of the church's claims. My opinion is that if one has the truth, one doesn't need to be nasty in its defense. Nastiness over the years, accusing the "enemies" of doing what you are doing in order to deflect, comes from desperation most of the time. They don't have good defenses so they resort to these tactics, proving their weak case over and over again.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

There is no apology from Peterson, nor is there any acceptance of responsibility. There never is. It’s just everybody else’s fault for taking offence and now people are being unjust towards him by not giving his spiteful bilious writings about others a free pass. Not only does he expect a double standard when it comes to writing mean things, he demands it.

How much longer before the Deseret News reaches the same conclusion the Maxwell Institute came to 8 years ago?
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Dr. Peterson has issued a response:
DCP wrote:I simply chose passages that were relevant to my point — which was focused on defending the claims of the Book of Mormon Witnesses — from reputable scholars on the subject.

Of course, if there is better scholarship on James Jesse Strang of which I should be aware, I’ll be sure to have a look at it before I write on the topic again — which, honestly, I may or may not ever do. Of academic disputes, obviously, there is no end.

What most fascinates me, though, is the fact that my little column above is now being described as “bigoted,” “a hit job,” “unkind,” “purposely hateful,” “carefully orchestrated,” “designed to malign,” “mean-spirited,” a “one-sided hit piece,” “deceit,” “bilious,” “a one-sided hit job,” “deception,” “disrespectful,” “bullying,” “lying,” an act of “hate,” “spiteful,” “mean,” “nasty,” “desperate,” using the “tactics” of a “political hack,” and a perfect illustration of how I “just [don’t] give a damn” about “collateral damage” or the “feelings” of others.
(emphasis added)

It's okay to cherry-pick quotes that attack another's beliefs, I guess, if that's your intention all along?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

But there's nothing to be done, except to studiously ignore them.
Here

He just can’t help himself
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

"Do the brethren endorse this strategy? Do BYU administrators?"

The Brethren care only about money, and certainly they don't care if anti-Mormons get their feelings hurt. They don't even care if the faithful get hurt, if that hurt is necessary to secure the next dime in income.

Where the brethren might end up having issues is in controlling the narrative as it relates to their image. Certainly, while they don't care about a soul outside of friends and family, they want to look as if they do. As the senior tier become farther removed from the centrality of the Church-BYU military-industrial complex, their chances of a hurt image are pretty slim. With good-ole Lou and Kiwi57, the chances are next to zero. The visibility of the Proprietor could be a problem, but at this point, somebody would really have to push the issue I think before anybody in SLC would step in.

I think they are lucky that Dr. Colvin appears to be letting this go. I think the disinformation campaign hosted at SeN to cover up the boundaries crossed by Lou, which are available in the public record at Dr. Colvin's blog, could be somewhat serious if she wished to pursue it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.