Sad...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: Sad...

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:19 am
... r/exmormon is thriving. It has more traffic in a week than we've probably ever had. That must mean their content is new, fresh, with all kinds of new ways to slam the LDS Church, it's leaders and members, so I'm just kind of surprised you're not hanging out there?
I visited for a few minutes over there. Not really seeing anything “new, fresh, with all kinds of new ways to slam the LDS church, it’s leaders and members.” But I will concede that there are different sorts of online venues that seem to take off and continue more than others. It could be that Reddit is such a large and all encompassing online venue that It naturally becomes a location that people are drawn to because it’s popular and well known. Stuff that’s new under the sun? Not so much from what I can see.

Maybe the volume of people over there that participate create an environment where folks don’t feel quite as on the spot and targeted as they might here.

I’ll pop in here every now and then, but I typically just don’t see anything that seems to be new or all that interesting. Not to say that there aren’t interesting people that hang out here, it’s just that they don’t have anything much to say that’s novel or tantalizingly new. And when there have been so called smoking guns, they’ve turned out not to be. At least in my opinion. Although I would say that Shulem’s posts in regards to the Book of Abraham are interesting. New stuff I haven’t read before.

Actually, I really don’t hang out anywhere online nowadays. Every once in a while I’ll pop in here, but when I went over to Reddit that was the second or third time I think I’ve ever even visited that place. I have nine books sitting here in my reading stack that I haven’t gotten to, except for one, today. Why? Because I popped in here. I suppose that’s the main reason I don’t spend as much time online as I used to. Too many books and not enough time to read them all!

Regards,
MG
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Duplicate
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

So in other words, the fact that a place is thriving with posts tells us nothing about the quality of the content. thank you.

(please continue not to get it)
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Nothing new and interesting.......gosh there for a minute I thought MG was talking about the Mormon Church.......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:11 am
So in other words, the fact that a place is thriving with posts tells us nothing about the quality of the content. thank you.
It can go either way.

But a place that is not thriving with posts tells us something. Back in the day, this board was interesting. Just as back in day the ZLMB Board was interesting.

Entropy?

Regards,
MG
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

MG: kindly provide sources for your criticism. A brief synopsis of the top 15 threads and their related posts from the past week, along with your perspective on why you find them lacking, would suffice.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:48 am
MG: kindly provide sources for your criticism. A brief synopsis of the top 15 threads and their related posts from the past week, along with your perspective on why you find them lacking, would suffice.
Which one, two, or three of the so-called top 15 threads would you suggest I look at in further depth? I’m not going to go through and give a brief synopsis on 15 threads. I’ve spent more time on this board today than I was planning on. By lacking, I’m assuming that you are saying that there is really nothing new under the sun that is of real interest, right? Because that’s my argument, that each time I pop in here I really don’t see much that is different from the time before. The people may change but the criticisms pretty much remain the same. A lot of glass half empty rather than glass half full kind of stuff. That gets old.

Regards,
MG
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

There are 5 forums on this board. Some of you people need to venture out beyond Terrestrial.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:26 am
Nothing new and interesting.......gosh there for a minute I thought MG was talking about the Mormon Church.......
Intentional or not, MG was talking about the Mormon church. Nothing new and interesting. No need for "continuing revelation", sort of as Joseph F. Smith admitted in the Reed Smoot Hearings that it had been 20 some years then without any revelations. It's not just the bread in the sacrament and members' Sunday morning breaths that are stale.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:14 pm
Nothing new and interesting. No need for "continuing revelation", sort of as Joseph F. Smith admitted in the Reed Smoot Hearings that it had been 20 some years then without any revelations. It's not just the bread in the sacrament and members' Sunday morning breaths that are stale.
What about the revelation of not letting the children of those in a same-sex marriage become members of the Church?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace