Sad...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Sad...

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:52 am
I just spent a few minutes looking over the date of posts on this once great board. This seems to be the only forum that has any recent posts. Very sad. I used to look forward to reading all the new posts and following the sometimes enormous discussions. A thread would go on for many pages and the wit and wisdom of some posters was truly remarkable.

I hope this board can be revived, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. I will continue to check in occasionally to see if things improve. It's like losing an old friend. Best wishes to all who are still contributing.
Revived? Check back occasionally to see if things improve? What are we your wind up toys? The wheels don't turn by themselves around here. Get off yer Brit ARSE and jump in some place!

The above advice is offered with nothing but the utmost respect, love, and kindness.

As ever,
J-G
:lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

:lol: :lol:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 am
Quasimodo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:52 am
I just spent a few minutes looking over the date of posts on this once great board. This seems to be the only forum that has any recent posts. Very sad. I used to look forward to reading all the new posts and following the sometimes enormous discussions. A thread would go on for many pages and the wit and wisdom of some posters was truly remarkable.

I hope this board can be revived, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. I will continue to check in occasionally to see if things improve. It's like losing an old friend. Best wishes to all who are still contributing.
Revived? Check back occasionally to see if things improve? What are we your wind up toys? The wheels don't turn by themselves around here. Get off yer Brit ARSE and jump in some place!

The above advice is offered with nothing but the utmost respect, love, and kindness.

As ever,
J-G
:lol: Duly noted and thoroughly chastised O' mighty Jersey.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:15 am
:lol: :lol:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 am

As ever,
J-G
:lol: Duly noted and thoroughly chastised O' mighty Jersey.
You can consider this board in it's current state the MDB version of COVID lock down. Go throw a match on the gasoline tank that is Paradise and blow the thing up. I'll watch and I won't call for help because Shades can't do anything now. :lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

I am a fairly recent reader of mormondiscussions.com. I began reading it in 2017. I registered just over two years ago and have posted here and there. It did not take long in 2017 in reading this Terrestrial Forum to figure it out it once had more glorious days of robust debating. I have seen reference to and then dredged up and read threads going back to 2008. I suppose that posters here about a decade ago were either valiant apologists that believed they could win an argument or ex-Mormons that yet had a zeal for demonstrating their relatively new found disbelief and for arguing the reasons for that disbelief. (I particularly enjoyed reading about Daniel McLellan defending the KEP, and the ex-Mormon posters of that time circling him somewhat mercilessly.) The apologists appear to have turned tail and run away, but for a few that have changed their views and then become critical posters here. The ex-Mormons of that era appear to have grown weary and gone quiet or almost quiet. It almost seems as though once the church issued the essays and the ex-Mormons had torn them apart, logical limb by limb, it's been case closed. The ongoing cultural aspects of Mormonism are mostly what remain, and there's not much grist for the MDB mill to be found from them.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:12 am

...my view is the Salt Lake City church is a pretty stable institution that neither changes or fades very rapidly.
I wouldn’t expect it to. The church has a fourfold mission to achieve and it does continue to move along in respect to its mission. And it takes time. There may be a bit of disappointment among ex members and the critics that the church hasn’t caved and conformed to the liberal wing agenda of those that would like to see the church change course in one way or another from its self proclaimed mission of bringing souls to Christ.

Regards,
MG
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm
There may be a bit of disappointment among ex members and the critics that the church hasn’t caved and conformed to the liberal wing agenda of those that would like to see the church change course in one way or another from its self proclaimed mission of bringing straight souls to their self proclaimed authority to speak for Christ.

Regards,
MG
FTFY
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:47 pm
mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm
There may be a bit of disappointment among ex members and the critics that the church hasn’t caved and conformed to the liberal wing agenda of those that would like to see the church change course in one way or another from its self proclaimed mission of bringing straight souls to their self proclaimed authority to speak for Christ.

Regards,
MG
Fixed it for you
And that’s why this board is basically dead. There’s just nowhere to go that hasn’t been gone before. Boring, essentially. Nothing new under the sun. Really, what’s the big ‘pull’ to a board like this nowadays?

I’d just as well spend time here:

https://www.closertotruth.com/

than participate in regurgitated arguments slamming the LDS church, its leaders, or its members.

Even when the board software issue is remedied I don’t think you’ll see much change in traffic and participation.

Regards,
MG
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Preach!!
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 am
Preach!!
First thing that came to mind as you said this:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/752502328/preach

Everyone has a message, right? :smile:

Regards,
MG
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

"And that’s why this board is basically dead. There’s just nowhere to go that hasn’t been gone before. Boring, essentially. Nothing new under the sun. Really, what’s the big ‘pull’ to a board like this nowadays?"

You're probably right, MG. You know, r/exmormon is thriving. It has more traffic in a week than we've probably ever had. That must mean their content is new, fresh, with all kinds of new ways to slam the LDS Church, it's leaders and members, so I'm just kind of surprised you're not hanging out there?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.