Brian Hauglid on RFM!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Brian Hauglid on RFM!

Post by _consiglieri »

Brian Hauglid has graciously agreed to be interviewed by your humble podcaster this coming Monday!

Brian has recently retired as professor of ancient scripture after a long and distinguished career at Brigham Young University.

Are there any questions you would like me to put to him?

All the Best!

RFM
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Brian Hauglid on RFM!

Post by _Kishkumen »

What a coup! To get an interview with Brian Hauglid is really something! Kudos to you, RFM!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

:surprised:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 pm
Are there any questions you would like me to put to him?
:twisted:
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Now, Shulem.

Remember this is a family show.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

1. In 2010 he published "A Textual History of the Book of Abraham" in which he suggested the existence of a Ab0 manuscript
(see pg 58-59), something he no longer believes existed. What led him to reject the existence of Ab0?
2. What is it he found "abhorrent" in the scholarship of Jon Gee?
3. What does he think Joseph Smith was trying to do with the KEP? Were parts of it used to produce the first part of the Book of Abraham?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Exciting--congrats on scoring this interview, Consig! I hope you'll ask him specifically about some things.

1. What is his version of the events connected to the cancellation of Schryver's work on the Book of Abraham?
2. What role did he play in the end of "classic FARMS" back in 2012? (I.e., when DCP and the others were booted out of the Maxwell Institute.)
3. What exactly went down vis-a-vis the contention with Gee over the JSP?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Does he still believe the Book of Abraham to be from God or does he think Joseph Smith invented it? If he believes, does he now subscribe to the catalyst theory? How then does he explain the facsimile's mistranslations and Shulem's favorite, facsimile 3? (Sorry Shulem, I had to ask).

Has he discovered the number mentioned in facsmile 2, fig 11?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 pm
Does he still believe the Book of Abraham to be from God or does he think Joseph Smith invented it? If he believes, does he now subscribe to the catalyst theory? How then does he explain the facsimile's mistranslations and Shulem's favorite, facsimile 3? (Sorry Shulem, I had to ask).

Has he discovered the number mentioned in facsmile 2, fig 11?
Not a problem, Dr Exiled. Thanks for asking the above. I can't imagine RFM pulling off an interview with Brian Hauglid without posing some difficult questions about the Book of Abraham controversy. This is a subject in which consiglieri is quite familiar so I'm sure he will have a slew of juicy questions.

Current political unrest in America involving racism and the unfair treatment blacks have received makes for an appropriate time to question poor black Anubis who is unjustly denigrated to the level of a slave in Mormon scripture. Surely, Brian Hauglid knows that Anubis is NOT a slave and the Explanation Smith gave about his person is false. If Brian is willing to admit that a single point made by Smith in the Explanations is false then he is left to conclude that there may be others. Let the dominoes fall and it all starts with Anubis!

:twisted:
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

1. What led him to pursue a doctorate in Arabic and Islamic studies?
2. A question related to Fence Sitter's second question: Did he receive negative feedback from College of Religious Education deans or colleagues regarding his November 2018 Facebook comments on apologetics and the Book of Abraham?
3. Does he believe Joseph Smith drew on any biblical commentaries or extrabiblical lore in producing the Book of Abraham?
4. What is his view of Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship?
5. In 1994, he published a largely-negative review of Paul and Margaret Toscano's Strangers in Paradise in FARMS' Review of Books on the Book of Mormon. Have his views on any of the topics covered in that review, e.g., women and the priesthood, changed since that time?
6. Does the College of Religious Education currently have a written or unwritten policy either prohibiting or strongly discouraging professors from publishing in Dialogue or Sunstone or participating in Sunstone symposiums?
7. What is his take on the four Religion Education cornerstone courses introduced at BYU in 2015? In 2014, Bill Hamblin called the curriculum "appalling" and said "it will result in the further decay of scriptural literacy–already a significant problem among the Saints." Has the curriculum been a success or a failure? If he were in charge of Religious Education at BYU, how would he change the curriculum?
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac