My Interview with Brian Hauglid is Up!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: My Interview with Brian Hauglid is Up!

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Thou shalt not make apologists look bad by publicly disagreeing with them, even if such disagreement is for the greater good, a step toward putting away childish stories. This rule is right up there with no slam dunks.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I trust the same MD obsessed individual who reported this information to Gee in the first place will also let Gee know his email to BYU RE Leadership has been leaked.

And that Gee should go a better job of protecting his sources...
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

This is a classic and demonstrable instance of Gee (certainly) and Peterson (almost certainly) trying to “F” with a person's livelihood because what? He is going on a podcast they don't like?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

In your interview with Hauglid, he mentions the chapter in his newly released book "Producing Ancient Scripture" by Matt Grey regarding the dependence of the Book of Abraham text on the Seixas lexicon and instruction, which definitively places the production of parts of the Book of Abraham after the KEP. This effectively demonstrates that Gee's pet theory of a missing scroll is wrong, not that it needed anymore evidence to show how bad it is.

I have it on very good authority that Gee tried to get Grey fired from BYU because of that chapter.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Based on the email from Gee to BYU RE Leadership trying to muck with Hauglid's pension, such reports are only too believable.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Guck Fee!
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:29 am
John Gee sent an email to the BYU Religious Education Leadership. Here it is:

Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM
To: [BYU Religion Education Leadership]
Subject: Forwarding a question

Dear [Sir],

I was sent the following information this morning:

Brian Hauglid has apparently agreed to be on the Radio Free Mormon podcast. From the GSTP:

http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53601

Not sure when it will actually "air," but the podcast is here:

https://radiofreemormon.org/

Surely he knows this is an ex-Mormon group, right?

It was accompanied by the following question:

Is he retired yet?

Do you have an answer to the question?

John Gee
William (Bill) Gay Research Professor
Asian and Near Eastern Languages
Brigham Young University

---------------------------------------------------
Wow, this is shameful! But not surprising. What's interesting to me is that he actually uses the acronym "GSTP" (i.e., "Great and Spacious Trailer Park"). And clearly, his assumption is that the Religious Education leadership will understand what he's talking about!

Anyways: pretty lousy that DCP, or Midgley, or whoever it was would try to get Hauglid in trouble like this. They're basically a bunch of stool pigeons.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

And Midgley denies that he ever spoke to a Stake President or Bishop about a member who took a non-apologist view .....

Maybe I should ask the Midgester about trying to get people fired or trying to interfere with their doctoral committee review or trying to step in between a marriage, or trying to ........
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 am
Guck Fee!
I wish we had the upvote function for occasions like these. Anyway, I reserved time tomorrow to listen to your interview. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. We should all support you on a monthly basis. I did.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I think GSTP may have been one of Peterson's fingerprints Gee neglected to wipe from the email before forwarding it to BYU RE Leadership.