My Interview with Brian Hauglid is Up!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Re: My Interview with Brian Hauglid is Up!

Post by _Analytics »

Simon Southerton wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:38 am
Pardon my ignorance, but can BYU touch Hauglid's pension? I think he is near the end of a contract.
He retired 5 days before the podcast dropped. No, they can't touch his pension.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:19 am

Here is the thing ... if cojcolds attacks Mr. Hauglid for too much truth telling, people will look at what he says and they cannot let that happen because he is a respected scholar...
The Church tried that with the September 6 (+ David P. Wright), and it bit them in the ass.

This one seems fundamentally different. Our friends at Interpreter reported Hauglid to the Strengthening Church Membership Committee for what Hauglid wrote in the Joseph Smith Paper's Project, which was published by the Church itself. And Hauglid's bishop blew it off. Talk about evidence of different factions!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:39 pm

The Church tried that with the September 6 (+ David P. Wright), and it bit them in the ass.

This one seems fundamentally different. Our friends at Interpreter reported Hauglid to the Strengthening Church Membership Committee for what Hauglid wrote in the Joseph Smith Paper's Project, which was published by the Church itself. And Hauglid's bishop blew it off. Talk about evidence of different factions!
How do you know that the people at the Interpreter reported Hauglid to the SCMC?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm
Analytics wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:39 pm

How do you know that the people at the Interpreter reported Hauglid to the SCMC?
Based upon what they were talking about at the end of the podcast, we know somebody reported to someone in Salt Lake that Hauglid's bishop needed to talk to him about his loyalty to the church, given what was written in the Joseph Smith Papers. That the parties involved were the Interpreter vigilantes and the SCMC is an educated guess.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The fact that “the GSTP” is well enough known and used as an acronym is amazing.

- Doc
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:32 pm
The fact that “the GSTP” is well enough known and used as an acronym is amazing.

- Doc
I'm proud to be associated with the GSTP. It means we have enemies! Therefore, we are trusted (using Kiwi57 logic):
President Packer was a target of the Church's enemies probably more than any other man since Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Which is a very sound reason to trust him.

Hoosier Kiwi57 • a day ago

Number 4 might be President Oaks, for similar reasons. The same trust is justified.

Dr. Exiled Kiwi57 • 13 hours ago

I get that you want to praise the man, but just because someone has enemies has nothing to do with trust in that person.

Kiwi57 Dr. Exiled • 13 hours ago

It's not just the fact that he had enemies. There's also the considerations of who and what those enemies are.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I'm trying to understand WHY it is so critical to Gee's Missing Papyri Theory that all of the translation process took place in 1835. Even if translation took place in 1842, which the historical record supports, the claimed missing papyri wouldn't have gone missing until years after 1842. So why is 1835 so important?

I understand that Gee is attempting to offer an apologetic alternative to the churches official position that the Book of Abraham came from the extant papyri the church owns since that papyri doesn't have any of the Book of Abraham on it.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Kiwi57 Dr. Exiled • 13 hours ago

It's not just the fact that he had enemies. There's also the considerations of who and what those enemies are.
Fascinating circular logic.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:02 pm
I'm trying to understand WHY it is so critical to Gee's Missing Papyri Theory that all of the translation process took place in 1835. Even if translation took place in 1842, which the historical record supports, the papyri wouldn't have gone missing until years later. So why is 1835 so important?
As I understand it, if the translation took place in 1835, that means the KEP were a misguided effort to learn Egyptian by reverse engineering the translation. But if the the translation happened in 1842, it means that the KEP were notes from the translation itself and that the Book of Abraham is based on the papyri we have, not the hypothetical missing Papyri.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Analytics wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:20 pm
Craig Paxton wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:02 pm
I'm trying to understand WHY it is so critical to Gee's Missing Papyri Theory that all of the translation process took place in 1835. Even if translation took place in 1842, which the historical record supports, the papyri wouldn't have gone missing until years later. So why is 1835 so important?
As I understand it, if the translation took place in 1835, that means the KEP were a misguided effort to learn Egyptian by reverse engineering the translation. But if the the translation happened in 1842, it means that the KEP were notes from the translation itself and that the Book of Abraham is based on the papyri we have, not the hypothetical missing Papyri.
I understand this and the ramifications of this...but why, for Gee's theory to hold water, did all of the Book of Abraham translation have to be completed in 1835?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka