Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Paloma
_Emeritus

Re: Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

Post by _Paloma »

What has struck me throughout my awareness from afar of the Mormon apologists associated first with FARMS and then with Interpreter, is the hero worship of figures like Hugh Nibley (especially in the further past) and Daniel Peterson (especially in the near past and present).

See how essential was Bryce Haymond's role in bringing Interpreter to fruition, and just how much hero worship figured into that:
http://www.templestudy.com/2012/08/03/f ... scripture/

And see how William Hamblin did a lion's share of the work at one point, until he got fed up:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/enigmatic ... terpreter/

It would appear that Daniel Peterson has secured (by dint of intellectual acumen? professional expertise? magnetic personality?) pride of place among the FARMS/Interpreter apologists. (I think there's a reason he's always the ultimate, final speaker at the FAIR conference, no?)

This thread is about Allen Wyatt. I have no idea about him, except there seems to be a pattern of certain people labouring mightily and perhaps thanklessly, while others are in the limelight.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:28 am
I have to admit that it’s difficult to keep track of the turnover at Interpreter, but I don’t recall hearing that B. Haymond was an editor. Whatever happened to him?
He and his spouse “stepped away from the Church.” In part he was shocked to find that the current president and prophet does not accept human evolution.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

This was very fascinating. Thank you Dr. Scratch.

Alan Wyatt kind of reminds me of the awkward loner from high school that is willing to takes lots of “good natured” abuse just to fit in.

Part of me feels sorry for Alan. The Mopologists will never completely accept him or consider him an equal no matter how much he wants to belong, unless he gets that PhD.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:07 am
This was very fascinating. Thank you Dr. Scratch.

Alan Wyatt kind of reminds me of the awkward loner from high school that is willing to takes lots of “good natured” abuse just to fit in.

Part of me feels sorry for Alan. The Mopologists will never completely accept him or consider him an equal no matter how much he wants to belong, unless he gets that Ph.D..
He will be their eternal servant, imagining that is the height of existence........ so glad I no longer live under that paradigm.......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:24 pm
Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:28 am
I have to admit that it’s difficult to keep track of the turnover at Interpreter, but I don’t recall hearing that B. Haymond was an editor. Whatever happened to him?
He and his spouse “stepped away from the Church.” In part he was shocked to find that the current president and prophet does not accept human evolution.
Yes: he's surfaced from time to time on "SeN" in order to post what I suppose I would characterize as "challenging" posts. And, it appears the he posted a critical comment in response to Gee's latest (silly) essay. Did J. Lindsay really give the go-ahead for that one?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Dup.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:17 am
by the way, was this change in direct response to Dr. Scratch questioning Allen Wyatt's credentials on that Faith Promoting Rumors blog?
It certainly seems that way, doesn't it? There is quite a long history of "Interpreter" making changes in response to things that get said here, or by folks who are from here, going clear back to the first blog posts, where Tom pointed out the many typos.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

An absolutely devastating observation Paloma. yeah, Hamblin definitely got to sacrifice for the glorification of his commander in chief.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Bryce Hammond stepped away from the church?! Is there any more story to this? His experience, dedication for learning through Nibley/FARMS, his emotions and excitement parallel what mine were exactly. I related to his story precisely. To now hear he has stepped away is equally as fascinating. I would like to have a more secure foundation of knowing about it however. Thanks Kish!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:18 pm
Bryce Hammond stepped away from the church?! Is there any more story to this? His experience, dedication for learning through Nibley/FARMS, his emotions and excitement parallel what mine were exactly. I related to his story precisely. To now hear he has stepped away is equally as fascinating. I would like to have a more secure foundation of knowing about it however. Thanks Kish!
Here is his blog post on evolution:

https://www.thymindoman.com/if-evolutio ... -is-false/

https://www.thymindoman.com/a-radical-r ... istianity/
As you probably know, I’m a former Mormon, but I remain friendly towards Mormons and my former faith. Some people become bitter towards their former faith when they transition away from it, for understandable reasons, but I don’t think this is inevitable or necessary. For a time I passed through a period of severe disillusionment as many do when they have a faith crisis and transition. I couldn’t understand how and why this religion on which I had built my entire worldview could possibly be wrong about anything. For my whole life I had felt it was so right, until it wasn’t, at least for me. My worldview shattered, and I was left to sort through the pieces to try to find truth again.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist