Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:40 am
"This would appear to be yet another slap in the face to Allen Wyatt. What are the odds that this will ultimately contribute to him leaving the Church?"

You never know. What's striking is that several people associated with Interpreter have left the Church. The "astronomical odds" arguments didn't convince them I guess.

I tend to think doubt rages in the mind of many apologists. Which also explains why they have to mass-ban critics now and again.
It only takes a few to say that the emperor has no clothes .....

To those who are questioning, the water over here is relaxing. It is like a weight that is lifted off one's shoulders when one gives in to reality.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

I wouldn’t deign to imagine holding any strings, my esteemed fellow professor. But if your observation accurately notes that Dr. Peterson is perhaps trying harder to make good on his word, then I am very glad to hear it. Hey, I’m a reasonable person. While I am willing to do just about anything to rectify bad faith in a contract to which I’m party, likewise I’m content with silent satisfaction if good faith prevails in the end. Live and learn, right?

On this Allen Wyatt theory, have you considered the possibility that Interpreter may simply have been expanding its leadership team to accommodate a step up in growth?

Who knows, I mean what’s the old saying in publishing: never let a good controversy go to waste? I may have butchered that. But in all seriousness, there have been some pretty controversial things published by Interpreter in the past year, and it was noted at the 2019 FAIR conference that the Dale’s article generated the most comments of any weekly edition in Interpreter history. The Witnesses film has created some buzz. Heck, arguably the attention raised by this very forum may have played a role in awareness driving readership.

There are a number of ways to uplevel leadership of a growing enterprise. Replacing people is one, and often necessary. “Getting the right butts in the right seats,” and all that. But for some challenges you just need a bit more horsepower in the room. Whether that be peer review, strategic thinking, blocking and tackling chops, or what have you. Well, some food for thought!

I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am, tinkering with the virtual campus technology. Hard to believe the new school year is barely a month away. Sadly, from the looks of things, we will be starting out all virtual. Thank goodness for the foresight of our great Dean.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Maybe Dr. Hauglid's confession is a sharp cutting sword that penetrates the apologist's inner soul? I get the feeling from reading sic et non posts after the RFM broadcast that Hauglid's coming out was a shot to the gut for the apologists, of course it was. The bannings seem to be a passive aggressive (very Mormon) response to this. Kick the dog when you get home from a rough day with the boss. You can't confront him directly so go after the underlings.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:07 am
Maybe Dr. Hauglid's confession is a sharp cutting sword that penetrates the apologist's inner soul? I get the feeling from reading sic et non posts after the RFM broadcast that Hauglid's coming out was a shot to the gut for the apologists, of course it was. The bannings seem to be a passive aggressive (very Mormon) response to this. Kick the dog when you get home from a rough day with the boss. You can't confront him directly so go after the underlings.
This is an incredibly perceptive comment, Dr. Exiled. I believe that you’re right.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:34 am
Perhaps Dr. Moore should insist that either Kiwi or Midgley get banned, too. (Actually, where has Kiwi been lately? Maybe he was banned as well?)
Kiwi is still there with his upvotes and downvotes. Lou still reacts to almost everything I write. He even reacted to a link I made to Kitaro's Silk Road for an article on ancient trade routes. I wish he could abandon his role as the blog's pugilist.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The only reason the Midget picks on you is his wetdream wishing he had your wit, so its from a stance of envy that he slaps you around verbally.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

Philo Sofee wrote:The only reason the Midget picks on you is his wetdream wishing he had your wit, so its from a stance of envy that he slaps you around verbally.
Philo, what was Louis like when you were still on L-Skinny? The reason I ask is because we all know what he's like when he's among perceived enemies; I'm wondering if his cantankerousness was at an ebb when he was strictly among friends.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Prof. Peterson kindly supplies us with an update:
Daniel Peterson wrote:As I announced here quite a few weeks back, and as the Interpreter Foundation announced on its website and on its Facebook page, Jeff Lindsay is now a vice president of the Interpreter Foundation, where he is helping Allen Wyatt oversee the production of our journal. (It's a pretty heavy responsibility to put out at least one -- and sometimes two or three -- articles each week.)

On another front: I won't ever post at your message board again. I'm not insane.
"oversee production of our journal"? Meaning: acting as Editor in Chief? This is an incredibly weak response. Remember: the basic charge here is that Wyatt is under-qualified. There is no response whatsoever to that basic point. Does DCP think that Wyatt has the appropriate academic training to oversee the journal? Does Midgley? Their silence means that, yes, they basically do. This is utter cowardice on their part. Seriously: do they care about this "journal" or not? Why are they so unwilling to publicly defend Wyatt's qualifications?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:41 am
Prof. Peterson kindly supplies us with an update:
Daniel Peterson wrote:As I announced here quite a few weeks back, and as the Interpreter Foundation announced on its website and on its Facebook page, Jeff Lindsay is now a vice president of the Interpreter Foundation, where he is helping Allen Wyatt oversee the production of our journal. (It's a pretty heavy responsibility to put out at least one -- and sometimes two or three -- articles each week.)

On another front: I won't ever post at your message board again. I'm not insane.
"oversee production of our journal"? Meaning: acting as Editor in Chief? This is an incredibly weak response. Remember: the basic charge here is that Wyatt is under-qualified. There is no response whatsoever to that basic point. Does DCP think that Wyatt has the appropriate academic training to oversee the journal? Does Midgley? Their silence means that, yes, they basically do. This is utter cowardice on their part. Seriously: do they care about this "journal" or not? Why are they so unwilling to publicly defend Wyatt's qualifications?
Doctor Scratch, Coach P doesn't want to admit your influence, doesn't want to admit the mistake of hiring a "less than" in their eyes, once you pointed that out. It's so obvious, even to the underling worshipers over at sic et non.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Here's what Allen thinks about publishing things on the internet...
We've all had this happen: We do a simple search on the Internet and are presented with millions of possible places that supposedly could answer our need. Not all of the sites are ones you can trust, however. You are then left with the problem of where do you look for dependable information from a source you can trust.

Frankly, that's why I started Tips.Net. My name is Allen Wyatt, and that's me you see at the right, working at a computer. I've been actively involved in writing and the publishing industry for decades. (Go ahead—do a search for my name in Amazon and you'll get a sampling of the books I've written over the years.)

I'm intimately aware that not all information is of the same quality. In fact, it seems that many sources of information on the Internet are more interested in quantity than they are in quality.
https://www.tips.net/about.html

That last line seems somewhat striking.
Perhaps the bone of contention here is that Allen is fed up churning out poor quality articles week after week just to keep the numbers record up.