Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Perhaps the bone of contention here is that Allen is fed up churning out poor quality articles week after week just to keep the numbers record up.
Churning out hit pieces, just to dispel the stereotype that Mormons are nice people, must take its toll.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 am
Doctor Scratch, Coach P doesn't want to admit your influence, doesn't want to admit the mistake of hiring a "less than" in their eyes, once you pointed that out. It's so obvious, even to the underling worshipers over at sic et non.
You may be right. Did you see this post? Especially this passage?:
SeN wrote:We drive along in our private vehicle. The places where we’re staying have undertaken extraordinary new sanitation measures. We don’t eat in restaurants; we get take-out or drive-through or, more commonly, we prepare our own food to eat at home or out at a picnic spot. Much is closed down, or heavily regulated. We wear masks when in public. We wash and sanitize our hands several times a day. I look back now and wonder why it had never previously occurred to me to sanitize my hands after pumping gas. For all I knew, the preceding customer was carrying the flu or the black plague. That’s a habit that I intend to continue even after the departure of COVID-19 (assuming that it will someday depart).
This is him attempting to defend himself against my criticisms that he's been irresponsible by taking a vacation during the pandemic. It is a pretty weak answer. The better answer would be one in which he justifies why his vacation was "necessary." (I already know the answer, by the way.)
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:37 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 am
Doctor Scratch, Coach P doesn't want to admit your influence, doesn't want to admit the mistake of hiring a "less than" in their eyes, once you pointed that out. It's so obvious, even to the underling worshipers over at sic et non.
You may be right. Did you see this post? Especially this passage?:
SeN wrote:We drive along in our private vehicle. The places where we’re staying have undertaken extraordinary new sanitation measures. We don’t eat in restaurants; we get take-out or drive-through or, more commonly, we prepare our own food to eat at home or out at a picnic spot. Much is closed down, or heavily regulated. We wear masks when in public. We wash and sanitize our hands several times a day. I look back now and wonder why it had never previously occurred to me to sanitize my hands after pumping gas. For all I knew, the preceding customer was carrying the flu or the black plague. That’s a habit that I intend to continue even after the departure of COVID-19 (assuming that it will someday depart).
This is him attempting to defend himself against my criticisms that he's been irresponsible by taking a vacation during the pandemic. It is a pretty weak answer. The better answer would be one in which he justifies why his vacation was "necessary." (I already know the answer, by the way.)
I'd like to see him try to justify his trip as being "necessary." It obviously seems at odds with his continual demands to take Covid-19 seriously. But, hey, we get to hear his commentary on how Colorado is doing better than Utah. What would his acolytes do without their coach?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

It's Friday, which means that, sure enough, a new blog entry has been posted at "Mormon Interpreter." It also means that, sure enough, there is no mention whatsoever--no "thank you" or nothing--of Allen Wyatt on “SeN.” I guess his free labor doesn’t even merit a “thanks.” Quite telling.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Another announcement about another "Mormon Interpreter" blog posting, and guess what? No mention of Allen Wyatt.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Well it certainly appears that Allen has been demoted or further marginalized. Under Allen’s watch, the Interpreter has been the laughing stock among LDS scholars and many members alike. There have been some major blunders.

I don’t know much about Jeff Lindsay, except that there was a thread about him a couple of years ago regarding his article published in the Interpreter. If I recall correctly, the article was about some Chinese science fiction novel and how it related to Mormon doctrine. Bizarre.

I guess that doesn’t give me much hope things will be more “scholarly” under Jeff’s stewardship.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:20 pm
Well it certainly appears that Allen has been demoted or further marginalized. Under Allen’s watch, the Interpreter has been the laughing stock among LDS scholars and many members alike. There have been some major blunders.

I don’t know much about Jeff Lindsay, except that there was a thread about him a couple of years ago regarding his article published in the Interpreter. If I recall correctly, the article was about some Chinese science fiction novel and how it related to Mormon doctrine. Bizarre.

I guess that doesn’t give me much hope things will be more “scholarly” under Jeff’s stewardship.
I don't know where a journal about a religion that believes in magic rocks can go as far as "scholarship." The Dales' piece was classic Interpreter nonsense. I guess it's hard when every one of Mormonism's claims is devoid of proof and the mothership of christianity isn't any better. I've read some of Jeff Lindsay's stuff and it is just his take on whatever the apologists have been putting out for years. Nothing new. He seems to like gaslighting like the rest of them. Perhaps Mr. Wyatt would do well to move on before DCP re-enacts the 2012 MI firing, except with DCP playing the "evil villain" this time.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

True. But I also think it's important to point out that Peterson was responsible to putting Wyatt in the role. Why would he think that somebody devoid of a PhD was the right choice for the job? What does that tell you about his judgment, and his priorities?

Yes. We'll have to wait and see. I think these guys are basically just "padding" for DCP. I.e., that the hope is that they will get stuck with the blame for whatever crap "Interpreter" puts out.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I thought working Liu Cixin's The Three-Body Problem into an article relating to Mormonism was extremely clever. Jeff Lindsay's China experience could open up the Interpreter realm of consciousness in many ways and draw it away from flinging dead cows with a trebuchet.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Some of Lindsay's claims have been criticized.[10] For example, Richard Abanes, a writer critical of Mormonism, refers to Lindsay's work as "numerous self-published articles, not scholarly, extremely biased, articles often based on misinformation".[11] Some LDS people also disagree with some of Lindsay's viewpoints.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lindsay_(engineer)

Self published, not scholarly, extremely biased, based on misinformation...he sounds perfect for the job.