Gee's paper on Four Idolatrous Gods in the Book of Abraham

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Gee's paper on Four Idolatrous Gods in the Book of Abraham

Post by _aussieguy55 »

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... f-abraham/

Should make an interesting debate. As I have meager knowledge anyone with more care to critique?
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Gee's paper on Four Idolatrous Gods in the Book of Abraham

Post by _Shulem »

I'm in a real mood right now.

John Gee's damned ass needs to be kicked so hard he will never get up.

You're ass is mine, Gee. I'm going to roll you over and do you!

YOU damned liar!

JOHN GEE is a damned liar!

:evil:
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

From reddit, username ImTheMarmotKing:

Here, Mormon Apologetic Egyptologist John Gee asserts that four of these Gods are "attested anciently." He also states the "odds of Joseph Smith guessing the names correctly is astronomical." Specifically, he associates these four Gods as:

Elkenah

Gee says this is likely a transliteration of the Hebrew El-qoneh (ʾl qnh), "the god who creates." He associates this with the Hittite god Elkunirša

Libnah

Gee says this could be from "a specific set of (Ugartic) deities called the 'gods of Labana'"

Mahmackrah

Gee provides two different possible Gods here. First, an obscure "god of Beth-Shean" which he provides several possible spellings for, including, Mekal, Mkr, m'qwrwiw. Second, a place called Mammigira. To me, the fact that Gee can arrive at multiple possible unique attestations argues against the "astronomical odds" since, by his own admission, some of his attestations must be coincindental. I think the fact that place-names can be used in place of Gods, and that they don't even have to be particularly close phonetically, also argues against his "astronomical odds."

Korash

This he claims is the Hittite god Kurša, which he then reveals is not actually a deity but a hunting bag, which he claims "functions as the symbol of a deity and is therefore treated as a god." He once again provides an alternate association, undercutting his own point again, with the Hittite deity Zitḫariya. So apparently hunting bags are on the table as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... n/fye9v32/
Well. That’s a little underwhelming.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Lemmie wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:52 pm
Right. Smith had no idea what he was dealing with. It was right there in front of his face and he didn't even know it!

:twisted:

Hoping Shades can't moderate.

Fingers crossed!
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Hebrew? Hittite? Mesopotamian? Ugaritic?

It's a good thing there are so many language pools in which to go fishing.

Gee writes some may see this information as "underwhelming."

I agree.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

All is fair since by 1842, Smith had identified Mor+Mon comprising “More Good” in an english egyptian contraction. God exists in a timeless plane. Who are we to argue with these translations?

Also, ROFL.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:03 am
Lemmie wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:52 pm
Right. Smith had no idea what he was dealing with. It was right there in front of his face and he didn't even know it!

:twisted:

Hoping Shades can't moderate.

Fingers crossed!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :biggrin: :biggrin: You made my day with that picture when I first checked out your new site.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:34 am
All is fair since by 1842, Smith had identified Mor+Mon comprising “More Good” in an english egyptian contraction. God exists in a timeless plane. Who are we to argue with these translations?

Also, ROFL.
Oh don't get me started.

Min and More = huge penis.

It's right there in Facsimile No. 2.

Smith said so.

:lol:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:41 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :biggrin: :biggrin: You made my day with that picture when I first checked out your new site.

And, I have something special planned for Holy Min as he sits upon his throne!

Holy, holy, holy! It's coming soon. Facsimile No. 2 is the bomb! Salt Lake Temple -- look out, it's coming.

Hey, all you Mormons, look at your Heavenly Father as he sits upon his throne with a boner in his hand.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The four Idolatrous Gods versus the canopic jars! Gee could get into a real visceral argument with this one.

Will such writings make it harder for Mormons to show their face at academic conferences for Egyptology?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace