Ugo Perego & Jayne Ekins say Simon Southerton doesn't know his DNA science..

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Ugo Perego & Jayne Ekins say Simon Southerton doesn't know his DNA science..

Post by _I have a question »

Is Decrypting the Genetic Legacy of America’s Indigenous Populations Key to the Historicity of the Book of Mormon?
Ugo A. Perego and Jayne E. Ekins

Abstract: Some critics of the Book of Mormon suppose that the DNA characteristics of modern Native Americans should be compatible with “Israelite” rather than with Asian genetics. The authors point out that while DNA is a valid tool to study ancient and modern populations, we must be careful about drawing absolute conclusions. They show that many of the conclusions of critics are based on unwarranted assumptions. There are specific limitations that cannot be ignored when using the available genetic data to infer conclusions regarding the DNA of Book of Mormon peoples. Such conclusions are not founded on solid science but are the interpretation of a few, as genetic data fails to produce conclusive proof weighing credibly in favor of or against the historicity of the Book of Mormon.
https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... -Mormon-2/
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Ugo Perego & Jayne Ekins say Simon Southerton doesn't know his DNA science..

Post by _Kishkumen »

More obscurantism from the irrelevancy institution of incoherence.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Re: Ugo Perego & Jayne Ekins say Simon Southerton doesn't know his DNA science..

Post by _Dr LOD »

Recycled ten year old articles about Lamanite DNA do not age well.

An interesting quote from the article
It is possible that Lehi and his group may have fathered a genealogically large posterity that was eventually absorbed and became part of the current, or at least the pre-Columbian, native population. Additionally, based on a simple mathematical calculation, there are scenarios in which Lehi is potentially the genealogical ancestor of all living Amerindians,53 contributing culturally to their contemporary indigenous neighbors, yet leaving no genetic trace of their presence in the present day.
This was included to smooth out the obvious contradiction that Perego’s earlier apologetic work. Where like Woodward he followed the whole body of scientific evidence to a theory of a small isolated untraceable population that fits in the LGT Meso-American model favored by LDS apologists.

The problem is it completely undermines years of LDS prophetic statements, and cannon scripture. Earlier in the article Perego attempts to dismiss LDS Prophets with this paragraph That later he cleans up with the previous quote.
Critics incorrectly insist that the LDS Church has taught for years that the American continent was uninhabited until the arrival of Book of Mormon people and that only recently, following the DNA debate, this position has changed. However, the LDS Church has not expressed an official opinion with regard to either Book of Mormon geography or population dynamics.4 This, of course, does not preclude LDS leaders and scholars from sharing their personal opinions one way or the other, including several instances in which the concept of an already inhabited continent was shared prior to bringing forth the so-called DNA evidence.
The Mormon Interrupter once again lazily reposts old non peer reviewed articles.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I think if researchers looked for microscopic Nephites and Lamanites, they might find the genetic link to the middle east that has evaded them for years and years. God must have shrunk Lehi and co. to the microscopic level prior to their arrival in the new world. This is why we cannot find any evidence for them, DNA or otherwise. It is the only conclusion fitting for a church of seer stones, deer jesus, and ghost committees.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

What a pack of lies. No doubt the high level of dishonesty impressed the senior tier.

His arguments that it’s possible, even if correct, does not help against scientific consensus. It’s possible that somebody could have planted the evidence at any given crime scene, but that is not good enough.

Further, he assumes an apostate interpretation of scripture to lower the bar even more — “there’s really no such thing as lineage”

Fine, then the whole premise of “chosen peoples” is bunk, and we toss the scriptures to the rubbish bin and get on with life.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Gadianton
Further, he assumes an apostate interpretation of scripture to lower the bar even more — “there’s really no such thing as lineage”

Fine, then the whole premise of “chosen peoples” is bunk, and we toss the scriptures to the rubbish bin and get on with life.
I am just sooooooooooooooooooooooooo GLAD I don't have to put my name to desperate apologetics anymore........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
The truth HAS made me FREE! Free from having to run in circles trying to defend the morons in charge church leaders and apologsts, and their revealed man made doctrines.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

This is a re-publication of a 2014 paper that was out of date back then.

The paper is based almost entirely on mitochondrial DNA research. If we believe the apologists, mitochondrial DNA isn't very powerful because it only tells us about a single ancestral line. It only tells us about one out of a thousand of our ancestors who lived 10 generations ago. Maybe that's why apologists are sticking with mitochondrial DNA. It's an easy target.

Far more powerful research on Native Americans and Polynesians has been published in the last 10 years using the entire genome. None of this gets a mention even though considerable research had been published by 2014. This technology can trace ancestry with far greater precision and power. Maybe that's why the apologists largely ignore it.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

Thanks Simon. I see these were left out of the Interpreter article:

The genome of a Late Pleistocene human from a Clovis burial site in western Montana 12 Feb 2014
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 13025.html

Late Pleistocene Human Skeleton and mtDNA Link Paleoamericans and Modern Native Americans 16 May 2014
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/344/6185/750

The ancestry and affiliations of Kennewick Man 18 June 2015
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature14625
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

There is a very good reason why no one sees any continued writings by LDS and former BYU Professors Scott Woodward, Keith Crandall, or Michael Whiting concerning Lamanite DNA.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Perego has set up a genetic consultancy.
Perego is the owner of The Genetic Genealogy Consultant. He teaches an online course in genetic genealogy at Salt Lake Community College.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugo_A._Perego
About Us
We have more than 15 years of experience in the field of genetic genealogy having helped hundreds unlocking the secrets of their family history as revealed in their genes! We are also available to do in-person consultations, presentations to genealogical groups and webinars. Contact us for details.
http://www.geneticgenealogyconsultant.com/about-us.html