NEW!!! RFM Decimates John Gee and Daniel C. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: NEW!!! RFM Decimates John Gee and Daniel C. Peterson

Post by _Fence Sitter »

For those of us who have not had time to listen to it yet can someone summarize Gee's confession?

Thanks
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Kerry Clown Muhlestein to the rescue!

Egyptian Papyri and the Book of Abraham A Faithful, Egyptological Point of View
Muhlestein wrote:Abraham names a spot nearby as the plains of Olishem (see Abraham 1:10). This is a name that no one had heard of during Joseph Smith’s day; but since the Book of Abraham uses a number of terms that no one has encountered elsewhere, Olishem did not stand out in any way at first. However, discoveries of ancient texts since Joseph’s day revealed two texts—one from before Abraham’s time and one roughly contemporary—name a location near Haran called Olishem. The chances that Joseph Smith would make up a fictional, outlandish place that turned out to be accurate in name, time, and location are too astronomical even to be considered. I do not know how that fact could be interpreted as anything other than evidence that Joseph Smith was really translating an ancient document.

At the same time, a number of words from the Book of Abraham have found very real and viable counterparts that support Joseph’s translations. These words, coupled with the name Olishem lead us to the conclusion that good research has turned the book’s wording—once a subject of criticism—into a strength.
You see, Joseph Smith really did know how to translate Egyptian, because Kerry says so. Time to go back to church. You too, RFM. And Shirts.

:lol:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Oh......if I go back now, it will only be to tell them what the real issues are and why they are problematic.......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Dr. Gee's discussion of Olishem in his latest book on the Book of Abraham lists several sources for "further reading," including the following:
Engin, Attila. “Oylum Höyük İçin Bir Lokalizasyon Önerisi: Ulisumn / Ullis / İllis.” In Armizzi: Engin Özgen’e Armağan, 129-45. Ankara: Asitan Kitap, 2014. The author of this article, who directs the excavations at the site of Oylum Höyük, discusses why he thinks that his excavation site is ancient Ulisum and why he thinks that it is connected with the Book of Abraham’s Olishem.
Engin discusses why he thinks his excavation site is "connected with the Book of Abraham's Olishem"? I'm looking forward to reading this article.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:44 pm
Engin discusses why he thinks his excavation site is "connected with the Book of Abraham's Olishem"? I'm looking forward to reading this article.
Do come back and report, Tom.

And Kerry, don't forget to pay your tithing. The Church needs your money to continue to fund Gee's research.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Tom
Dr. Gee's discussion of Olishem in his latest book on the Book of Abraham lists several sources for "further reading," including the following:
Engin, Attila. “Oylum Höyük İçin Bir Lokalizasyon Önerisi: Ulisumn / Ullis / İllis.” In Armizzi: Engin Özgen’e Armağan, 129-45. Ankara: Asitan Kitap, 2014. The author of this article, who directs the excavations at the site of Oylum Höyük, discusses why he thinks that his excavation site is ancient Ulisum and why he thinks that it is connected with the Book of Abraham’s Olishem.
We already KNOW this is simply NOT the case. It's why Gee did NOT quote, but merely summarized what is said. Had an actual non-Mormon archaeologist/historian literally said something akin to Gee's "Mormonizing" summary, he would have quoted it IN CAPITAL LETTERS........ Gee fools no one anymore. RFM has shown us how he cheaply operates. I ain't buyin anything Gee says anymore than what MG says.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:43 pm
We already KNOW this is simply NOT the case. It's why Gee did NOT quote, but merely summarized what is said. Had an actual non-Mormon archaeologist/historian literally said something akin to Gee's "Mormonizing" summary, he would have quoted it IN CAPITAL LETTERS........ Gee fools no one anymore. RFM has shown us how he cheaply operates. I ain't buyin anything Gee says anymore than what MG says.
Right. And the latter end of Part III of the Mormon Stories podcast really puts things in perspective with how Gee has been going about deceiving Mormons with his fake brand of Egyptology. That 5 1/2 podcast really slams Gee!

RFM is on a roll. I wonder if he'll ever release his old apologetic tape recording of his Book of Abraham apologetics? I have to think he recorded it along with all the others but hasn't released it yet. Maybe he's afraid I'll roast him over the coals and so he's somewhat reticent about releasing it. But I see no reasons to roast him. Poor guy was sold a bill of goods by liar Nibley. We were all lied too! Nibley was such a conman.

What do you say, RFM? Time to release your Book of Abraham tape you recorded in Austin? I'm dying to hear you quote Nibley!

:lol:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

consiglieri wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:16 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:06 am
Absolutely STUNNING confession of John Gee!!!! RFM has destroyed Gee and Peterson in this new podcast! I.AM.BLOWN.AWAY. A one hour shocker! This is not a joke, it's the real deal. You must hear this one.
https://radiofreemormon.org/2020/08/rad ... mes-clean/
Praise from Caesar!

I would still love to have you on the show for an interview!
I know my friend......I know. Be patient.
Dr CamNC4Me
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Shulem
And Kerry, don't forget to pay your tithing. The Church needs your money to continue to fund Gee's research.
The church can suck my.............er.............thumb! Yeah, that's it..........
Dr CamNC4Me
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

You may be right. My Turkish is a bit rusty, so it’s difficult for me to tell what Engin has written. He does cite Gee and Muhlestein. See page 136 here: https://www.academia.edu/8741188/A_Loca ... llis_Illis.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac