GA's told - don't keep journals?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: GA's told - don't keep journals?

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I wonder what the Dodo's journal would say? He probably practices his exaggerations there, claiming 5 stake formations a week and millions of baptisms and skyrocketing growth:

Dear Diary:

I just formed 3, no 5 stakes this week! I can't wait to tell our Prophet of the fantastic numbers in my area. I just implemented a new program where we take down names of people and if they believe in Jesus (or look promising), they are put on the special baptism list and sent on up the chain to corporate headquarters. We had 1 million baptisms last week!!! Don't worry if the baptism wasn't actually performed, dear diary, it'll get done soon or in the afterlife. I think channel stuffing for the Lord is fine because when our missionaries or bishops go by and tell the people the good news about their baptism, most will want to join anyway!!!!!! IT'S THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!! President Nelson will have to consult his pen in the middle of the night for sure to figure out how to handle the onslaught of new blood!!!!!! These Monster energy drinks are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodbye for now dear diary and on to solving the Book of Abraham problems that the lizard-like Ritner claims to have created with his ivy league nonsense! I don't know egyptian but what got translated was the word of God!!!!!

Your servant, definitely not a Dodo, E. Holland.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Shoot. I have been buying journals for young and old TBM family members off and on for years.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Dr LOD wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 am
Here is what I heard from a GA when I asked them this question. If a Journal is kept by a GA they are to be given to and are property of the church history department. Access is only for immediate family, and researches approved by the church history department (and Q15).

There is probably some legalese that enforces this arrangement.
How does this work, in terms of the contract? Is it a copyright sign-off? Does this mean anything can be a diary? Does the church therefore "own" anything said or written by any general authority? What about personal correspondence with spouse or children? Is the church allowed access to and ownership of all of these communiques?
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

kairos wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:40 pm
Taking you back in history- remember the GA Gene R. Cook devotional talk about his run in with Mick Jagger on an airplane where Cook tried to "convert" the champagne sipping Mickster and accused Mick of leading young people into sin. The incident was discussed on several boards where it was claimed the whole story was made up. Enter Cook's son who claimed his dad wrote it all down in his journal.
Since outsiders could not get to the journal, they asked Cook's son to look into the journal and get the date of the plane ride from mexico city to Dallas then to Salt Lake City. Cook's son said the date was in the journal but he refused to cough it up. After Elder Cook passed, his son said the journals were available in the church "history"? department. We checked and only family or credentialed researcher could see the material. The son refused permission to anyone and so the journal are still out there with the date/other information in them so it is alleged.
The devotional was torn apart by the opposition who claimed they went to Mick's personal secretary to find where Mick was in the month in which Cook supposedly had the encounter. Also some naysayers checked with Mick's fan club to no avail.
The mystery of the alleged Cook-Jagger is still to be solved-but if someone gets into the journal stacks she may find missing pages or journals in the Gene R. Cook file.

just postulatin
k
Do you have links to those board discussions?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Sorry i do not have links handy but googling Gene R. Cook Mick Jagger encounter, byu idaho devotional should get you close.

k
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm
Dr LOD wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 am
Here is what I heard from a GA when I asked them this question. If a Journal is kept by a GA they are to be given to and are property of the church history department. Access is only for immediate family, and researches approved by the church history department (and Q15).

There is probably some legalese that enforces this arrangement.
How does this work, in terms of the contract? Is it a copyright sign-off? Does this mean anything can be a diary? Does the church therefore "own" anything said or written by any general authority? What about personal correspondence with spouse or children? Is the church allowed access to and ownership of all of these communiques?
I didn’t get a chance to ask more probing follow up questions. It was said like it was a given in the GA culture. My opinion is the church does not like to leave things to chance, I would guarantee some type of legal monetary arrangement that will have year past an individuals death.
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Dr LOD wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm

I didn’t get a chance to ask more probing follow up questions. It was said like it was a given in the GA culture. My opinion is the church does not like to leave things to chance, I would guarantee some type of legal monetary arrangement that will have years past an individuals death.