You can now submit prayer roll names online...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

You can now submit prayer roll names online...

Post by _I have a question »

The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced a new online system for temple prayer rolls on Tuesday, Aug. 25.

In Latter-day Saint temples, Church members unite their faith and pray collectively for names on the temple prayer roll. These names are usually individuals facing illness, affliction or other challenges. In the past, names of individuals have been submitted in person at the temple or via phone call.

Church members can now send names of family or friends with specific needs to place on the temple prayer rolls by visiting any temple’s information page and clicking on the prayer roll link.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2 ... ent-191424
In temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this practice is observed. Members are invited to place the names of those in need on what is known as the “prayer roll” of the temple. Members then unite their faith in asking Heavenly Father to bless those persons whose names are on the prayer rolls.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... rayer-roll

So, I have a couple of questions about this placebo practice.

How many members need to be in the prayer circle for the prayers to get answered? If the number doesn't matter then just one person could go and do it. In fact, with this new system, instead of the members needing to go to the temple to pray on behalf of others, the prophet could simply take the full database of names on a usb data stick and pray over it himself once a week. Surely the Prophet praying for those names is better than a group of members who may or may not have been telling the truth when they got their recommends?

What does it mean when if the prayer doesn't work and the named individual doesn't return to church receive blessings or tender mercies?

Is a prayer offered in the temple by unknown individuals more effective than a prayer offered at home by a loved one without a valid temple recommend?

What if someone's name is submitted without their knowledge and they don't want to receive blessings or tender mercies?

If the name submitted is an alias will the blessings still get to the right person?

Is this system compliant with data protection and GDPR if the person who's name is being submitted hasn't agreed to it?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: You can now submit prayer roll names online...

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think it'd be nice if for every person that has a name submitted, a temple worker would light an incense stick at the temple. Maybe they could tie paper prayer slips to some, I dunno, archways or something. Think of the possibilities...

- Doc
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

For me, this has always sounded tacky...kind of the way prayers are offered on TV by Graham and suck. Even for a very TBM person, wouldn't personal prayers be enough?
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

What if someone's name is submitted without their knowledge and they don't want to receive blessings or tender mercies?
I am putting together a temple prayer shield product with some friends of mine. We figure it'll be on sale within the next month and will have a price point of, you guessed it, $19.99. It will consist of the finest incense and essential oils that you put on your body and burn in your home. Guaranteed to ward off any temple prayers or other such voodoo. A local witch doctor gave it her blessing.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

President NelSatan, March 2020 wrote:I invite you to join with me in a worldwide fast — for all whose health permits — to pray for relief from the physical, emotional and economic effects of this global pandemic.
Thus saith the Lord, "Request Denied"!
President NelSatan, April 2020 wrote:I am calling for another worldwide fast
Thus saith the Lord, "Again, Request Denied"!

August 2020
24,233,132 cases
827,008 deaths

TEMPLE PRAYER ROLL?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: