Is DCP Accusing the Brethren of Censorship?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Is DCP Accusing the Brethren of Censorship?

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Hi Bot. Hope you and yours are doing well.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 pm
What is the status of this book? It is being sold on Amazon.
It's strange: the book *is* available at Amazon and at FAIR Mormon, and yet it appears to have been yanked from booksellers that have closer ties to the institutional Church.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

An interesting post over at "Faith-Promoting Rumor," which argues that Gee's book should be blamed primarily on the academic inadequacy of BYU's Religious Education program, and the Religious Studies Center. I think there are places where the post is misguided (for example, I don't know why the OP bothered to sift through the principal players' CVs. What was that supposed to prove? Most academics' CVs are underwhelming, just like how most people are underwhelming, depending on your definition of "excellence." Have fun living in that world.). That said, the post is quite good in terms of parsing out the university politics and faulting the way the conflicting interests have been managed.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 am
Very interesting. It would seem that both FAIR Mormon and Amazon have restocked Gee's book, and yet, neither Deseret Book nor the BYU Religious Studies Center has done the same. Is there a secret internecine war underway? Somebody is clearly attempting to make an ideological point. You had better believe that the Mopologists are plotting their revenge.
I doubt it is a coincidence that FAIR Mormon has become the new hub for alt-right culture warrior material and personalities. Hanna Seariac is their new podcast star, and she recently interviewed the alt-right, DezNat-adjacent BYU student Tristan Mourier. Gee's book fits into this orbit perfectly. It is fake science and phony scholarship designed to pump up a certain ideological take on the Mormon situation.

So, where the LDS Church itself will shy away from the alt-right, FAIR Mormon seems to be embracing it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:02 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Very interesting. It would seem that both FAIR Mormon and Amazon have restocked Gee's book, and yet, neither Deseret Book nor the BYU Religious Studies Center has done the same. Is there a secret internecine war underway? Somebody is clearly attempting to make an ideological point. You had better believe that the Mopologists are plotting their revenge.
I doubt it is a coincidence that FAIR Mormon has become the new hub for alt-right culture warrior material and personalities. Hanna Seariac is their new podcast star, and she recently interviewed the alt-right, DezNat-adjacent BYU student Tristan Mourier. Gee's book fits into this orbit perfectly. It is fake science and phony scholarship designed to pump up a certain ideological take on the Mormon situation.

So, where the LDS Church itself will shy away from the alt-right, FAIR Mormon seems to be embracing it.
Is there a serious schism forming?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I have a question wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:24 am
Is there a serious schism forming?
I doubt it. Mormonism has long accommodated and provided a home for crazy radicals on the Right. As long as they do not threaten the LDS Church, they can sail along with impunity as active members in good standing. The Church will not place its official stamp of approval on them, but they are also not rushing out to condemn, silence, or discipline them.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:02 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:

I don't know, Reverend. I sort of wonder if the Mopologists themselves feel a bit adrift. I'm reminded of that scene, early on in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, where Kirk and McCoy share an illicit drink of Romulan ale, and they reflect on their place in the galactic landscape as they grow ever older. The Mopologists have always seen themselves as conservative bulwarks against "liberal" excess (I guess?), but today they can't help but ignore where the more extreme fringes of American conservatism have gone. What's weird is their uncertainty: you get the sense that they are poised to jump fully onboard with Seariac and the hardcore DezNat/alt-right, but they are worried that Biden will win the election and they will once again have to fight against inevitable marginalization. Well, the alternative to that, of course, is Trump, but Dr. Peterson has been forbidden from speaking on any topic relating to politics. For what it's worth, I don't think he cares who wins, so long as DezNat-style fascism is allowed to flourish.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Any indication who ordered the book off Deseret Book's bookshelves?

Sherri Dew is still CEO.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

One might want to ask who is Hanna Seariac's faculty advisor at BYU that might be feeding her information behind the scenes?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

"Sherri Dew is still CEO."

Good point. That's virtual assurance that the Tin Man himself knows about it.

Sure, the Brethren may not literally be behind the banning. But they obviously don't think the book will really help people stay faithful, otherwise they'd get involved.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.