Lying to Congress

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Lying to Congress

Post by _moksha »

It was interesting to watch the 4th installment of the Shannon Montez interview on the Mormon Stories podcast and hear how President Joseph F. Smith told a bald-faced lie to the United States Congress during the Smoot Hearings about the practice of polygamy. Turns out the First Presidency had sent Anthony Ivins, as Stake President, to Colonia Juárez for the express purpose of performing polygamous marriages after the First Manifesto and continued on after that. Anthony Ivins became an apostle in 1907.

I assume President Smith justified this lie via the Oath of Vengence against the United States he swore to in his sacred and secret ceremony.

Minute 40 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivE1b5KLuc
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Lying to Congress

Post by _Kishkumen »

Or he justified it by recognizing the hypocrisy of a nation with a Constitution guaranteeing freedom of religion forcing him and his co-religionists into this corner.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Well they can always justify lying for the Lord to save his works, but it becomes quite damning when they do it so steadily and all the time. One can't help but wonder if it is they or their God who is a habitual liar in order to get their ways. If the truth has to continually be lied about, of what, if any, actual value is that putative truth?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:33 pm
Or he justified it by recognizing the hypocrisy of a nation with a Constitution guaranteeing freedom of religion forcing him and his co-religionists into this corner.
There are limits to freedom of religion and sometimes it is used to justify wrongful and hurtful conduct like polygamy. There is an interesting line of prisoner cases where prisoners tried to use freedom of religion to get certain privileges. My favorite was the church of steak where prisoners claimed they needed a steak dinner with wine each sunday as part of their worship services. Steak was sacramental as was the more traditional wine. However, each prisoner wanted their own bottle. Too bad the claim was denied.

Every once in a while, I dream of being a member of the church of steak ..... aaaaahhhhhhh.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

That part 4 interview with Shannon Montez has so much good information. The secret Mormon meetings of 1922 were the start of so many changes in the Church. Changes in Church policies, in new coverups, even the start of Mormon apologetics.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Well, I am not a proponent of polygamy, but in general I think consenting adults should be able to marry as they please. So, no, I don’t think the government should have infringed on the religious freedom of Mormon polygamists.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The part of the story where the First Presidency had the police break down apostle Richard Lyman's door and have the Salt Lake Police Chief drag him out, clad only in his garments, to the station to be confronted by the Brethren. Then to have a banner headline of his polygamous adultery ready for print the next day in the Deseret News. Does any of that peak your interest in listening to this outstanding episode of Mormon Stories?
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:32 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:33 pm
There are limits to freedom of religion and sometimes it is used to justify wrongful and hurtful conduct like polygamy. There is an interesting line of prisoner cases where prisoners tried to use freedom of religion to get certain privileges. My favorite was the church of steak where prisoners claimed they needed a steak dinner with wine each sunday as part of their worship services. Steak was sacramental as was the more traditional wine. However, each prisoner wanted their own bottle. Too bad the claim was denied.

Every once in a while, I dream of being a member of the church of steak ..... aaaaahhhhhhh.

"Polygamy" was Joseph Smith's theme to get more flesh. The prisoners were just more honest about steak being the way for them to get more flesh. From my study of Smith's escapades beyond Emma, I do not think he is any more genuine in claiming such were a genuine religious belief than the prisoners who petitioned for more steak claimed their's was.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:21 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:32 pm

"Polygamy" was Joseph Smith's theme to get more flesh. The prisoners were just more honest about steak being the way for them to get more flesh. From my study of Smith's escapades beyond Emma, I do not think he is any more genuine in claiming such were a true religious belief than the prisoners who petitioned for more steak claimed there's was.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:21 pm
"Polygamy" was Joseph Smith's theme to get more flesh. The prisoners were just more honest about steak being the way for them to get more flesh. From my study of Smith's escapades beyond Emma, I do not think he is any more genuine in claiming such were a genuine religious belief than the prisoners who petitioned for more steak claimed there's was.
Yes, that is the prevalent view. Since we operate in a predominantly materialist paradigm, the only reasons that count are the material ones. Stories, myths, beliefs, and philosophical arguments that do not fall into the materialist paradigm will not be taken seriously. It is, however, the case that there are people who genuinely operate in a different paradigm. Maybe a materialist will say this person is kidding him- or herself, but I don't think it is fair to say that what they genuinely feel they believe is not to be taken seriously as their genuine belief, wrongheaded though it may be.