Gerritt Gong and wife have COVID

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Gerritt Gong and wife have COVID

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Just announced.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Gerritt Gong and wife have COVID

Post by _Shulem »

Apparently no amount of fasting and prayer was going to stop Covid from doing its dirty deeds with him. Gong's bell has rung!

I wonder how many GA's have Covid but its simply not made public?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Best wishes for Elder Gong and his wife.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

That's too bad. Hopefully the masks and socially distanced chairs prove to have done their job during this weekend's 10 hours of conference sessions.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I hope they get well soon and hopefully they didn't pass it on to the older, more vulnerable brethren.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:02 pm
I hope they get well soon and hopefully they didn't pass it on to the older, more vulnerable brethren.
We may see a whole new change in leadership coming up very soon. Who knows? And the up and coming brainwashed leaders should prove more boring than ever!

:twisted:
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am sorry this has happened. I wish them a speedy and full recovery.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I'm not sure how meaningful this might be but...it was reported that although the Apostles wore masks during the conference sessions, the pulpit and microphone they all used were not cleaned nor wiped down in between speakers.
Speakers removed their face coverings when they gave their sermons. The microphone and podium were not scrubbed down with disinfecting wipes between talks.
Unlike his colleagues among the faith’s top brass, the 66-year-old Gong did not attend the church’s General Conference in person over the weekend — his Saturday talk was prerecorded — and it was revealed then that he was “feeling well” after being exposed to the virus.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/06/ ... s-apostle/

So it seems they knew about his contracting of Coronavirus prior to Conference but waited until after Conference to announce it.

Why didn't one of his Apostolic colleagues or The Prophet go visit him, give him a Priesthood blessing and pronounce him cured?

Does he lack the faith to be cured?

Did they get it from going to Church or the Temple?

Why can't he pray away the virus?

Will the Bretheren stop eating food for 24 hours to help cure their colleague? if not, why not?

If, as Dieter would have us believe, God knew well in advance that the Coronavirus was coming, why didn't He forewarn His apostles so they wouldn't catch it?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

As an aside, apparently it was mentioned before his conference talk that he was self isolating, but nobody discussed it until after the news story today. I think that informs us how many people watched conference live....
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Honestly, I feel bad for Gong and his family and take no pleasure in their sufferings. However, I DON'T feel bad for the Church now they're down an apostle, screw the Church.

The way I see it, there are one or more reasons why Gong has Covid today:

Check the boxes that apply

[ ] Lack of faith that the Lord would shield him from harm
[ ] Not enough sincere prayer in pleading with the Lord to protect him
[ ] Failed to maintain a solemn fast and ate again too soon
[ ] Did not read the scriptures enough and quit too soon out of fatigue
[ ] Does not know the king's name in Facsimile No. 3
[ ] Recently masturbated
[ ] Took one too many risks in public
[ ] Unlucky family member passed it on out of bad luck
[ ] Heavenly Father is testing them and preparing them for celestial glory
[ ] Past sins that have not been confessed