Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Informant
CTR B

Re: Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by Informant »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Please explain what you think the purpose of that verse is and whose will is being expressed. Thank you.
I already answered this. No.

It’s just one example of MANY horrible things the Bible says.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

tagriffy wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:18 am
msnobody wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 am

Kevin,
Here is your assignment, go read the Bible (the word, about the Word- Jesus), not already knowing what it will say to you, but allow God to speak to you. Ask him to open your eyes and heart to what He’d say to you. Read it like a child. Don’t respond to this post with a question.
I would be happy to send you an ESV, NASB, or NIV, or maybe a KJV study Bible.
But not an NRSV or an NAB?
Sure,,why not? 😊
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:30 am
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:39 pm
MsNobody, how can we know that that that indwells us, that you assume is the Holy Spirit, is actually the Holy Spirit?
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit Romans 8
And that means that it's the Holy Spirit?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:09 am
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:56 pm
Thanks for pointing me to these five chapters, MsNobody! I'll give it my best shot. I'll try to read them without skepticism, though for someone who's heard a lot of criticism of works like that, that's not a trivial job.
You don’t have to limit yourself to those five chapters. : )
May the Lord wash you in the water of His word, and pour His love into your heart as you read of His great love for you.
What exactly is His word? Are you referring to the Bible?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:03 pm
IHAQ, do you know that the number could be zero? If so, then there's one other thing that you have come to know right there.
IHAQ wrote:Or do you think that "knowing that one thing" justifies the idea that we can know other things?
Not really. It's just that Informant declared that we can't know anything. That's clearly not true; we can know at least one thing. If it's not true regarding that one thing, then the possibility exists that there might be two things (or three, or more) that Informant can know that s/he is not aware of.
kevin, the words you’re attributing to me in the quote aren’t mine. Please go back and correct it and attribute them to the poster who actually said them.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Informant wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:24 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Please explain what you think the purpose of that verse is and whose will is being expressed. Thank you.
I already answered this. No.

It’s just one example of MANY horrible things the Bible says.
The scriptures, be it the Bible or the Book of Mormon, are utterly dystopian. I can’t imagine a deity so fragile that he murders vast swaths of lives and life forms because he’s pitching a fit. Whether it’s killing 70 fellas for taking a peak at the arc of the covenant or the destruction of entire cities in ancient America, what’s described by these ‘holy’ books is horrific and evil.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:09 am
Gee, all he would have to do is talk to them and tell them the truth... if he is unhappy, with the power he possesses, then he deserves to be since he doesn't take steps to solve the problem.
Philo Sofee, how much power does God possess?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 am
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:15 pm

MsNobody definitely doesn't have more grounds, and that's my whole point. If each of us can't know that God will talk to us personally, then how can each know that God spoke to the other guy, who used what s/he thought s/he heard to write down scripture?
Kevin,
Here is your assignment, go read the Bible (the word, about the Word- Jesus), not already knowing what it will say to you, but allow God to speak to you. Ask him to open your eyes and heart to what He’d say to you. Read it like a child. Don’t respond to this post with a question.
Actually, MsNobody, I've been reading the Bible for several months now. Just today I finished Psalm 14. I did ask God to open my eyes and heart to what He would say to me.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:57 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:53 pm
I am sure MsNobody sincerely thinks God inspired the Bible in such a way that we can conclude that Christianity's doctrines are completely correct. Even so, you are asking me to believe the words of a human being instead of the direct words of God. That's why I don't accept it at face value.
No, I'm asking you to read about Jesus, the Word, and let God directly speak to you. You and He both have a responsibility.
MsNobody, I have a responsibility to come to know the Bible is God's Word before I treat it as God's Word.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:02 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:53 pm
... I want them to consider that they can themselves ask God questions and get answers directly.
I would have to agree that God made a way for us to approach his throne of grace.
Glad to hear that, MsNobody. Believing that God provided such a way seems to me to be the only productive thing we can do.