Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Question for KevinSim- biblical gospel articulation request

Post by KevinSim »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:49 pm
We just have to face the music there isn't a look of investigative ways to see and know what really happened then and there.
Philo Sofee, why can't we ask God whether or not the Bible tells the truth about Her/Him?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pm
Mormonism is a bit different, but as I see it equally foolish.
Dastardly Stem, why do you see Mormonism as equally foolish as Evangelical Christianity?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:44 pm
That said, I think that Mormonism's contribution to Christianity is not its doctrine of Deity, which is poorly worked out, but rather the role of the family in its soteriology.
Kishkumen, why do you think that the Latter-day Saint doctrine of deity is poorly worked out?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:46 am
Kishkumen, why do you think that the Latter-day Saint doctrine of deity is poorly worked out?
As in not fully articulated. There is nothing in Mormonism close to the great works of theology in orthodox Christianity. An eternal chain of exalted human deities doesn’t really explain much in the end. It tells us where humans might expect to end up if they do things right, but it does not explain much about why there is anything. I used to think Christian theology was a caricature of what it actually is, and what it actually is is nothing like the caricature popular Mormon views make it out to be. But that is what you get when your Church is founded by theological illiterates.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:06 pm
It is always sitting there as a possibility. I do not fear or fight it. It is sort of an old friend.
Huckleberry, I think I know exactly what you mean, and in view of that I perceive that you are not that much different from me.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

JohnW wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:28 pm
...For the living, breathing, everyday person, science and faith seem very similar.

No they absolutely do not.
I think this is because for people who are not well versed in science, it takes just as much faith to trust scientists as it does to trust religious claims.
I disagree completely with this. Even if a science is not one's specialty, there is no similarity between understanding scientific principles and believing religious claims.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

JohnW wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:35 pm
... I trust science because I assume others do this work. This is trust on the individual level. This is why, regardless of whether science or religion is more correct, to an individual person it feels like we are using faith/trust all the time in both science and religion.
I disagree with this approach completely. There is no similarity in my opinion between religious faith and accepting that scientific principles are bring used.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:28 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:49 pm
We just have to face the music there isn't a look of investigative ways to see and know what really happened then and there.
Philo Sofee, why can't we ask God whether or not the Bible tells the truth about Her/Him?
Why not just ask God to talk to you in person, and forget about a mere book? Who gives a flip about anything written or said if you can get a one on one podcast with God? I may have to ask him to come on my live show...
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:46 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:44 pm
That said, I think that Mormonism's contribution to Christianity is not its doctrine of Deity, which is poorly worked out, but rather the role of the family in its soteriology.
In my research for my ongoing podcasts on God in Mormonism, I am finding it is fiendishly and cleverly worked out, not poorly. What is poor is actual knowledge about God at all in Mormonism. It keeps changing.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:40 am
dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pm
Mormonism is a bit different, but as I see it equally foolish.
Dastardly Stem, why do you see Mormonism as equally foolish as Evangelical Christianity?
Neither can establish through rational means a reasonable basis for the truths they claim. God, Jesus, and nearly everything else, though theologically different, neither are well argued for. Any person convinced is convinced through faith without sufficient reason, it seems to me.
Last edited by dastardly stem on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos