How Much Money Has Royal Skousen Made from Mopologetics?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

How Much Money Has Royal Skousen Made from Mopologetics?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I noticed a series of recent posts over at SeN (including at least one that sounded rather panicked) promoting a talk by Royal Skousen on his non-Brethren-approved Book of Mormon project. I would need to defer to Tom on the specifics here, but how much money, exactly, has Skousen been paid for this? Isn’t it approaching half a million dollars at this point? Dan Peterson is fond of making cracks about how little *he* makes from apologetics, but what about Skousen? The Interpreter Foundation has been extremely aggressive in promoting Skousen’s project, which makes sense when you think about how much money they’ve sunk into this. But isn’t this a case of massive hypocrisy, given what Midgley and others have said about anti-Mormon ministries being “in it for the money”? What about Skousen, concocting these goofball, ridiculous theories while collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars?

The panicked postings on “SeN” become much easier to understand in that context.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Re: How Much Money Has Royal Skousen Made from Mopologetics?

Post by drumdude »

All that money and they can’t seem to figure out how to work a camera to record it.

Both events DCP promoted mysteriously failed to be preserved for posterity (or criticism)….
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The Early Modern English scam lives on. There's an ethos of denial when faced with a fraud. No one wants to admit to making questionable investments or donations to an obviously wrongheaded theory and that is why some frauds get perpetuated. Carmack's dad wasn't the most enthusiastic supporter of the nonsense and DCP should have taken heed.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Even LDS apologists have their flat-earth moments. I suspect the Interpreter donors were happy that this project steered clear of volcanos with unexploded atom bombs left by Xenu.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Does Skousen pay Peterson a sort of agents commission (kick-back) on the money he receives from Interpreter?
Have the promised transparent financials from Witnesses been published yet?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I must be missing something here. How is creating a critical text of the Book of Mormon Mopologetics exactly?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:56 pm
I must be missing something here. How is creating a critical text of the Book of Mormon Mopologetics exactly?
I would argue that there are two main reasons why this is fundamentally a Mopologetic project. The first is that it has always been firmly supported by that camp. Skousen has been a regular attendee/presenter at the FAIR conferences, and DCP has been plugging this thing since the beginning.

But arguably the more important factor also goes back to the project’s inception. You may remember a rather old thread started by Dean Robbers—it was titled something along the lines of “Are the apologists creating their own Book of Mormon?” or something like that. Skousen’s project was strongly opposed by certain conservative factions amongst the Brethren and he actually defied them to carry out this work. Their position appeared to be that Skousen’s Book of Mormon is a problem since it claims to be the “most authoritative” version—more so, even, then the one produced by Joseph Smith himself. Dr. Peterson himself confirmed all of this on the old FAIR/MAD board. And since one of the defining features of Mopologetics is a kind of “usurping” of doctrinal control, then this would pretty clearly fit in that category. This is Mopologetics in that sense in much the same way that the LGT is, or Stubbs’s language research, or John Gee’s Book of Abraham arguments.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I remember a few years ago the Interpreter Foundation had allocated around $300,000 that year alone for Skousen and his project. I’m sure Skousen has probably pulled in around a million dollars so far.

That’s a lot of widow’s mites.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Wonhyo
Star B

Post by Wonhyo »

Skousen's work on the Book of Mormon language is, perhaps, the most useless scholarship on anything Mormon-related in the entire history of the religion. And that is saying something.

All that money spent to support Skousen's research, and the conclusion is that a ghostly committee of King James-era Englishmen translated the plates and then projected their work onto Joseph seer stone?!?

Fool me once...
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Yesterday, Dr. Peterson called the presence of Early Modern English in the Book of Mormon a divine joke or prank of some sort:
Here are a couple of other cases . . . where I think that an impish divine sense of humor may actually play a role. Both are instances where, if my hypotheses are on target, the prank was set in place long before it was noticed:

2) The appearance of Early Modern English . . . in the original English dictation of the Book of Mormon. Once again, though, neither the early Latter-day Saints nor anybody else noticed for several decades. And, also once again, it becomes difficult to explain away. It’s very strange for believers, but, for those who seek a naturalistic explanation for the appearance of the Book of Mormon in the late 1820s, it’s virtually impossible.
(emphasis in the original)

(Incidentally, I noticed that the board automatically changes "E Mod E" (without the spaces) to read "Early Modern English.")
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857