Interpreter Drops a Thanksgiving Bomb on Kofford Books

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Interpreter Drops a Thanksgiving Bomb on Kofford Books

Post by Philo Sofee »

consiglieri wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:38 pm
I think tomorrow’s Backyard Professor show where Cheryl Bruno and Nick Liturski spill the beans may be “Must Watch TV.”
We are gonna do some moppin up folks!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:21 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and no... I am NOT exaggerating. Man I gotta start making memes.....yer gittin good!
Informant
CTR B

Post by Informant »

consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:21 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Kung-Fu is very strong.
the_narrator
Nursery

Post by the_narrator »

Informant wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:56 am
You know those old commercials…

“Avoid the Loyd.”
Thanks for bringing my childhood trauma back to my memory.
the_narrator
Nursery

Post by the_narrator »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:22 pm
It’s seeming more and more like this is an attempt to rescue Bradshaw’s damaged reputation. But the fact remains that he essentially “stole” material so that he could write his own book. And if memory serves, the accounts from Bruno, Ericsson, and others don’t really square with Bradshaw’s portrayal of what happened.
In an early draft of the review, Bradshaw wrote that paragraph in such a way that implied he had begun writing his book in 2021. I called him out on it and quoted from an email from him to me where he explicitly told me that he did not consider writing his own book until late May or early June of this year. I further requested that he note in that paragraph that neither I nor Cheryl and Nick were aware that he and The Interpreter were rushing to intentionally release their book the same week as ours. I had zero knowledge whatsoever that Bradshaw was working on his own book until I saw it announced a week before it's release. I believe Bradshaw may have told Cheryl and Nick about his book sooner, but for obvious reasons they did not even consider the possibility of it being released when it was.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

If Bradshaw can write his review in such a way as to occlude his skullduggery, how are we to trust him when it comes to his book?
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

This just sounds funny to me. A rushed book seems like a big mistake if we are to take it as scholarly. And the audience is small enough I can't really understand why the Book of Moses guy and Interpreter thought it was necessary to get the book out when the other book came out. The deception part of this is concerning, but it also seems like a useless trick only done to try and give the authors and publishers of the first book a smack across the cheeks by cutting it's possible patronage in half. ITs the kind of thing authority figures do--like something the Church would do. I can't see any reason why it'll matter in the long run. But, man, at the expense of coming off as a liar and a jerk...why would they do that? Desperation? Anger? Whatever. Seems stupid.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

the_narrator wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:21 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:22 pm
It’s seeming more and more like this is an attempt to rescue Bradshaw’s damaged reputation. But the fact remains that he essentially “stole” material so that he could write his own book. And if memory serves, the accounts from Bruno, Ericsson, and others don’t really square with Bradshaw’s portrayal of what happened.
In an early draft of the review, Bradshaw wrote that paragraph in such a way that implied he had begun writing his book in 2021. I called him out on it and quoted from an email from him to me where he explicitly told me that he did not consider writing his own book until late May or early June of this year. I further requested that he note in that paragraph that neither I nor Cheryl and Nick were aware that he and The Interpreter were rushing to intentionally release their book the same week as ours. I had zero knowledge whatsoever that Bradshaw was working on his own book until I saw it announced a week before it's release. I believe Bradshaw may have told Cheryl and Nick about his book sooner, but for obvious reasons they did not even consider the possibility of it being released when it was.
I'd be interested in seeing the paragraph as it was worded in the early draft (I assume you are referring to a draft earlier than the one posted last week on the Interpreter website).
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
the_narrator
Nursery

Post by the_narrator »

Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:26 pm
I'd be interested in seeing the paragraph as it was worded in the early draft (I assume you are referring to a draft earlier than the one posted last week on the Interpreter website).
Here is the original draft:
By way of disclaimer, I should mention that I have recently written a book entitled Freemasonry and the Origins of Latter-Day Saint Temple Ordinances, an expansion of a 2015 journal article I began to work on in the last half of 2021. When I began the process of writing my book and the present review earlier this year, Cheryl Bruno and Nicholas S. Literski kindly gave feedback on my book chapters and provided helpful perspectives and answers to questions I had along the way, including questions about the views presented in an advance review copy of Method Infinite kindly provided by Loyd Ericson on behalf of their publisher, Greg Kofford Books. They also...
I pointed out to him that this contradicted what he told me:
"To be clear: It wasn’t on my mind [to write his own book] when I asked for the book [reading copy], but sometime prior to my in-person conversation about it with Cheryl at MHA in early June [2022], I decided I needed to expand my 2015 essay into a book."
After being called out for hiding what he did, he asked for suggestions to the paragraph. This is what I sent him:
By way of disclaimer, I should mention that I have recently written a book entitled Freemasonry and the Origins of Latter-Day Saint Temple Ordinances, which I did not decide to write until after receiving an advance reading copy of Method Infinite that I had requested from the publisher for the purpose of writing a review for The Interpreter. Utilizing research for an expansion of a 2015 journal article I began to work on in the last half of 2021, I rushed together my own book instead of writing the review so that The Interpreter could intentionally publish it the same week as Method Infinite. When I began the process of writing my book and the present review earlier this year, Cheryl Bruno and Nicholas S. Literski kindly gave feedback on my book chapters and provided helpful perspectives and answers to questions I had along the way, including questions about the views presented in the advance review copy of Method Infinite. They also generously granted permission to publish quotations from their book and excerpts from their private communications with me, unaware that I and The Interpreter planned to release my book the same week as Method Infinite instead of the review. Earlier conversations with Joe Steve Swick III during the writing of the previous journal article were also very helpful and supportive. I am grateful for the resultant friendly dialogue with these three scholars throughout the writing process, despite some differences of opinion—which unfortunately, in the case of this lengthy review, lasted much longer than I had overoptimistically anticipated due to The Interpreter and I deciding to instead use that time and the review copy to publish our competing book. I appreciate not only the scholarship of these authors but also their examples of how dialogue on differences need not jeopardize mutual respect and collegiality.