Questions on the minds of church leadership

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Questions on the minds of church leadership

Post by drumdude »

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... he_church/

“How likely do you think it is you will be active in the church 5 years from now?”

“How close do you feel to your fellow elders quorum members?”

“How many elders quorum members are your close friends?”

“When it comes to issues outside the church how conservative or progressive are you?”

“How often do you attend sacrament meeting?”

“When was the last time you attended elders quorum?”

“What is your excuse for not attending elders quorum?”

“Do you know who your home teachers even are?”

“When was the last time they bothered to even visit?”
slskipper
Sunbeam

Re: Questions on the minds of church leadership

Post by slskipper »

"Excuse" sounds like an obligation. I have no obligation to attend EQ or any other church meeting. I just choose not to.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:02 pm
“How likely do you think it is you will be active in the church 5 years from now?”
The Church is sending around a survey asking, “How likely do you think it is you will be active in the church 5 years from now?”

Things are even worse than I previously imagined.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

When the leadership is able to pare down the members to 144,000 they can all be raptured.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I think an interesting question is "what decisions will this survey influence?" It's targeted at Elders Quorum members, which indicates the Church sees a real problem with male activity levels. But once they have the information about the lack of ministering, lack of authentic friendships between Church members, and the fact that members are far more societally progressive in their thinking than the Presidency of the Church, then what?

I have another question, why does a Church with Leaders who are guided by the hand of Christ, need to survey some members to know what the issues are? Are they so sheltered from reality know that they are oblivious to why people aren't active in the Church? Jana Riess's New Order Mormon survey tells them everything they know?

And a final thought, they are surveying people who show up. Not those who have left, not those who no longer consider themselves Mormon. So they're going to get a skewed set of results. Why don't the Apostles host surgeries with disaffected members, rather than devotionals with manipulated soft ball questions from wide eyed compliant young people? I'm sure they would learn far more about what is happening to activity from a private hour with a disaffected member. But no, they know what the issues are. They simple want to preach to the choir and have the choir send survey results back them, rather than dealing with the actual systemic issues that are driving people away.

This survey, in my opinion, is designed to show the Apostles it's the members fault. It's that the EQ members aren't friendly to each other, aren't doing their ministering duties well enough etc. If they wanted proper information they would ask better, more open questions, and not close down the answers to ones pre-selected by them. And like I said - the answers have already been collated by Riess.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 am
So they're going to get a skewed set of results.
The researchers are savvy enough to realize that in order to keep their research group afloat, they need to furnish the Brethren with positive information.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 am
I have another question, why does a Church with Leaders who are guided by the hand of Christ, need to survey some members to know what the issues are?
I think this is the bottom line. If they can’t see the way forward, especially since their prior decisions got them to this point, is there really a god leading and communicating with them?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I got a chuckle with how attitude-y the questions come off as. "Do you know who your home teachers even are?" "When was the last time they bothered to even visit?"

I guess they still see home teaching as a key to keep people in the Church. I don't know. I guess it works to some extent.

That reminds me, we have to be on the ward roster still. Our names our still there. I wonder if they assigned home teachers to us and wonder why they haven't even bothered to visit or reach out to us. I'm worried these poor fellow's salvation is in jeopardy due to the stories they might have heard about us. "Don't even bother...he'll try and tell you that Jesus didn't even exist or some such crap...and she'll be as polite as can be but will repeatedly and shamelessly remind you that she doesn't believe. It's a big old waste. They're lost." Man, if it's endangering some of these eager fellows maybe we ought to get our names removed, as they say. Didn't think of it that way. No skin off our nose I figure, but maybe we're weighing down their consciences or something--adding to their guilt and shame.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I get the feeling that since they changed “home teaching” to “ministering whatever” a bunch of active home teaching abruptly stopped.

Same thing with the church hours change. Going from 3-2, most people skipped hour 3. Now those people feel comfortable skipping hour 2.

The LDS church realized it made some mistakes with all these changes, and is trying desperately to measure the impact to figure out how bad the damage is before they come up with a plan to try to fix it.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:02 pm

“How close do you feel to your fellow elders quorum members?”

“How many elders quorum members are your close friends?”

“When it comes to issues outside the church how conservative or progressive are you?”

“How often do you attend sacrament meeting?”

“When was the last time you attended elders quorum?”

“What is your excuse for not attending elders quorum?”

“Do you know who your home teachers even are?”

“When was the last time they bothered to even visit?”
What does god need with a star......er.....survey.