Don't Pray, Just Obey!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Don't Pray, Just Obey!

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kevin Pearson, the area authority over Utah telling members that they shouldn't pray over going on a mission because the Prophet has already spoken.

How many other things do we not need to pray about because the Prophet has already spoken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfT0ZT2bEo
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
BeNotDeceived
Elder

Re: Don't Pray, Just Obey!

Post by BeNotDeceived »

These guys atop the 'church' hierachy have absolutely no shame, honesty or integrity... if I know Joe Smith was one of the biggest con men and charlatan's of the 19th century, then they know too and thus are deeply involved in a ruse and fraud of great magnitude while enjoying financial benefits and perks out the yin yang from a multi-hundred billion dollar real estate corporation, yet, here they are, still pushing our youth to go and serve a mission at their own cost, which increased by $100/mo. a few years ago as hundreds of billions sit in church coffers, all to perpetuate a narrative to investigators they admitted 8 years ago in essays buried on the 'church's website wasn't how it all happened. :lol: You cannot make up this stuff. :x
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Spoken like a true fundamentalist Mormon.

One who is very angry that a growing majority of young eligible prospective missionaries have the gall to disobey church leaders.
Last edited by drumdude on Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Someone good with Adobe should make the Russell M. Nelson version of this:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Wonhyo
CTR A

Post by Wonhyo »

Good grief... What a terrible message and, frankly, what a terrible look for the image-obsessed church.

It looks like this gentleman is the same leader who, in his capacity as president of the church's Utah Area, has banned missionaries under his jurisdiction from reading "The Saints" history series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... t_to_read/
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Cliffnotes
Nursery

Post by Cliffnotes »

But, the prophet did not go on a mission. Neither did his two counselors. How about, "do as I do" instead of "do as I say". Doesn't work in all circumstances but seems applicable to some issues.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I’m glad I went on a mission over 30 years ago. Things were less intense in those days.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

When Missionaries start being told to go against the official advice being espoused to members of the Church (to pray about everything, and to only read Church approved sources) it’s time to turn the lights off and give up. Those two bits of instruction - don’t pray about serving a mission (I mean seriously, Pearson or whoever came up with that should be sacked), and don’t read Saints the Church-produced compendium of historical apologetics, suggests a level of desperation we’ve not seen before.

Or it’s a rogue General Authority who’s being a jerk because he is unable to influence young people into doing what he wants them to do.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:33 am
My video response
https://youtu.be/L2pa_oddmx8
Philo, that was brilliant!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014