Is DCP's New Film Already Dead?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Is DCP's New Film Already Dead?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of DCP's upcoming film, "6 Days In August" but it appears it's already struggling to get off the ground.

The website DCP created to generate interest and fund raising for the film has been offline for the last 4 weeks: https://sixdaysinaugust.com/

Maybe DCP just can't get the project off the ground due to "Witnesses" losing so much money? Less than 1% of Mormons in the U.S. saw "Witnesses" despite DCP spending several hundred thousand dollars on advertising. Maybe that spelled the kiss of death for his new film project?

Whatever the issue is, I hope they can get things moving again and start shooting soon. This project deserves our support.

ETA
I think it might be Allen Wyatt who is in charge of the new film's website. If I recall, Allen did not enjoy Witnesses and had some very harsh things to say about it.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Wonhyo
CTR A

Re: Is DCP's New Film Already Dead?

Post by Wonhyo »

I'm sorry to hear about "Six Days in August" having early production issues.

"Witnesses" was a fine piece of cinema. I admit my surprise that anybody who saw it wouldn't be looking forward to the next film executive-produced by Dan.
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

That’s surprising. Filming is scheduled to begin this year, and I intend to take some leave from work this year to try out as an extra.

In related news, a friend of mine mentioned to me recently that a Utah business entity called “Six Days in August Productions” was registered by “Resolute Films LLC” early last year. So there are some signs of progress. However, there is no word thus far as to whether Paul Reubens has been cast as James Strang. To quote the film’s executive producer, “I’ve said that I don’t want to demonize Sidney Rigdon. I’m ambivalent about James Jesse Strang. I’m wondering if Pee Wee Herman is still available to play the role. I have to confess, I’ve tried to view Strang as sympathetically as I can, but I really can’t do it very well.”
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:33 pm
That’s surprising. Filming is scheduled to begin this year, and I intend to take some leave from work this year to try out as an extra.

In related news, a friend of mine mentioned to me recently that a Utah business entity called “Six Days in August Productions” was registered by “Resolute Films LLC” early last year. So there are some signs of progress. However, there is no word thus far as to whether Paul Reubens has been cast as James Strang. To quote the film’s executive producer, “I’ve said that I don’t want to demonize Sidney Rigdon. I’m ambivalent about James Jesse Strang. I’m wondering if Pee Wee Herman is still available to play the role. I have to confess, I’ve tried to view Strang as sympathetically as I can, but I really can’t do it very well.”
Paul Ruebens would make an excellent James Strang. I fear DCP wouldn’t be able to afford him. Especially if DCP can’t even keep the fundraising website online.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s not like it was crowdfunded. Interpreter is being kept afloat by a handful of wealthy Mormon donors that were poached from the Maxwell Institute. Donors who don’t appreciate when the president of Interpreter disparages the former president Trump.

The president of Interpreter can’t seem to help himself, and I suspect that has had a significant impact on donations.

Why would they want to help him make another movie when the last one didn’t perform, and he spends his days maligning their favorite politician?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I am not so eager to see a greedy, murderous tyrant use someone else’s intellectual property to make himself a virtual monarch over thousands of impoverished immigrants. If I want to review the sad tale, I would rather do it by re-listening to RFM’s “Apostolic Coup.”
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:56 pm
I am not so eager to see a greedy, murderous tyrant use someone else’s intellectual property to make himself a virtual monarch over thousands of impoverished immigrants. If I want to review the sad tale, I would rather do it by re-listening to RFM’s “Apostolic Coup.”
I assume you're talking about Brigham Young? Such a description will not be received happily by some.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:51 am
I assume you're talking about Brigham Young? Such a description will not be received happily by some.
Of course, I am talking about Brigham Young! The man who used religion to make himself the wealthiest person in Western America. Who prioritized saving his whiskey over the lives of my ancestors freezing and dying on the trail to Deseret. I don’t like the man at all. I don’t begrudge him due credit for colonizing the West, but that doesn’t change my opinion of his character.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

If this is true, it’s huge. A colossal blow to Mopologetics. In terms of the overall ledger that DCP is keeping, a failed film project would count for way, WAY more than 500 or whatever weeks in a row of posting garbage to the blog. Bond would clearly be the victor here.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Wonhyo wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:26 pm
I'm sorry to hear about "Six Days in August" having early production issues.

"Witnesses" was a fine piece of cinema. I admit my surprise that anybody who saw it wouldn't be looking forward to the next film executive-produced by Dan.
(◔_◔)