BYP Hosts Dr. Charlie Harrell - Does Scripture Teach a Great Apostasy?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: BYP Hosts Dr. Charlie Harrell - Does Scripture Teach a Great Apostasy?

Post by Philo Sofee »

Thanks to all who attended this truly awesome night with Dr. Harrell! He taught us all about the apostasy and just how badly mangled Mormonism has made the scriptures to justify the concept. Harrell is a master with the material!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I watched this presentation this morning an ended up finding interesting. The first part about Biblical scripture contained observations I was generally familiar. I was unfamiliar with the observation about the lack of priesthood authority as a theme in the Book of Mormon . I remember being aware of how Protestant the general view in the Book of Mormon is so the fact that it reflects a Protestant view of apostasy kind of blended in and for me got forgotten. The presentation points to a development in early Mormonism away from the Protestant version of apostasy creating a new emphasis on the idea of lost and restored priesthood authority.

in comments,
Dan Vogel:​Cowdery published first account of angel ordination in 1834 in letter to Missouri church

This comment was with the observation that the priesthood ordination was connected with a move to solidify authority against dispersion through too many leaders.

Some years ago I was impressed by the Tanner reproduction of the older D and C showing how the changed view of authority was read back into the early revelations erasing the older view. The presentation in the Tanner book is awkward and not easy to follow. Perhaps its significance gets overlooked because of that. Or perhaps as Kerry observed of his own experience , we were taught to avoid the Tanners. I admit I had to overcome some trepidation to read their book. Important observations like the priesthood change might got lost in the variety of stuff presented. It is a bit of catchall of everything they found which might be troubling about the church.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

I listened to the podcast today. It was okay but nothing great as far as I can say because I'm familiar with all of it and nothing seemed new, at least I don't think so. So, it was just fine. A few visual affect for some of the scriptures quoted would have been nice but it all worked out. I noticed how Harrell emphasized the word "some" when God gave apostles, prophets, and ministers of faith and that seemed to stand out some (no pun intended).

:lol:
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7