Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:26 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:45 am

And it’s important to remember that even with institutional controls there are going to be some bad apples.

Sad but true.

It’s the nature of large institutions. Perfection is a goal, but it’s an ongoing challenge.

Regards,
MG
“Institutional controls.”

Does this guy ever think about what he posts? Because Mormon “institutional controls” literally provided cover for Mormon men who **** kids. Like, from the get go, the “institutional controls” were literally designed to aid and abet men ****ing kids. The secrecy, the lies, the uncooperative relationship with ‘secular powers’, etc. Mormon men passed kids around as currency; just look at the genealogical record. It’s right there. And worse, any time Mormon men confessed to ****ing kids, whether it was their own kids or someone else’s s kids they hid it. It wasn’t just a few “bad apples.” It was “institutional controls” designed by Mormon men to keep Mormon men out of jail. Sick and disgusting.

And here’s MG defending it. ****ing gross.

- Doc
Yes. the Mormon institutional controls, as MG already stated, allow people to
...stay because this gives them opportunity to satisfy their evil designs.
I agree, he doesn't think about what he posts. his comment about "staying" in the church hecause of "opportunity" to offend is incredibly telling.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:56 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:45 am

drumdude, can you think of some reasons that evil doers stay in the church when they really should not?

Why do they not excommunicate themselves, so to speak?

Regards,
MG

Yes. I think there is a very toxic culture of putting on a good image and not being your real self in church. I’m sure you’re aware of the feeling. Going to your home teaching to find a happy smiling family and a week later they’re divorcing.

The church expects people to put on a facade. Because the church teaches we are supposed to strive for an impossible goal and anything less is a sin.
My personal experience: my (now ex-)wife and I had been struggling with issues in our marriage for some time, and meeting regularly with our Bishop while holding some significant callings in the ward. But outwardly, we were almost a model LDS family.

So it came as a huge shock to a lot of people who saw us together one week at church, everything seemingly normal, and found out the next week that we had separated during that week.

(it was also quite polarizing - my ex-wife was very popular in the ward (for good reason, I might add), and I suddenly discovered that I was being avoided by a noticeable segment of the ward.)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

There is definitely an air of acting the part of a perfect whatever and that can cause some to feel less than, especially when there are problems. Thou shalt not admit problems and thou shalt cover them up when possible. If they only knew that everyone else probably feels the same way. It's like the story repeated often of the emperor and his new clothes. It only takes one to point out the obvious and others then feel ok to join in.

It's been a while since I attended and I hope the false perfectionism nonsense is not as prevalent.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:03 pm
There is definitely an air of acting the part of a perfect whatever and that can cause some to feel less than, especially when there are problems. Thou shalt not admit problems and thou shalt cover them up when possible. If they only knew that everyone else probably feels the same way. It's like the story repeated often of the emperor and his new clothes. It only takes one to point out the obvious and others then feel ok to join in.

It's been a while since I attended and I hope the false perfectionism nonsense is not as prevalent.
I've been told more than once that sometimes I'm too honest for my own good.

When I think of all of those Personal Priesthood Interviews that I went through, and how easily I accepted that the men who were interviewing me were entitled to details of my personal life, ...
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:36 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:43 am

This may be a reason some people leave. They don’t feel they can live according the teachings/commandments/standards of the gospel. They think that working towards perfection is a fool’s errand.
People usually leave because they don't see any miracles, don't feel the spirit, and aren't happy in the church. Some people did leave because of the CES letter.

The vast majority of people join the church just to be part of a community, there's nothing special about the church.

The church is what we should expect it to be if there's no God.
That of course is one way of looking at it.

Regards,MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:39 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

This may be a reason some people leave. They don’t feel they can live according the teachings/commandments/standards of the gospel. They think that working towards perfection is a fool’s errand.

Repentance is anathema. Not saying this is true for you, but I’m saying that the whole idea of reaching towards perfection through continual and sincere repentance is just not a ‘thing’ for many people.

Regards,
MG
Not how Mormonism with its idiotic public shaming to be sure. The focus on daily repenting and always confessing sins and meeting with bishops and stake presidents for weeks and prolonged months is overboard and focuses on the wrong thing entirely. That's what keeps you in bondage to the church as sinners. And that gives the church control over the people. Punishment for repentance?! What they need to be doing is taking more of the sacrament, not being kept away from it... The whole set up is very unJesus like.
Don't want to keep up with the standards? :lol: That's rich!
This is another way of looking at it. Different perspectives from different vantage points.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:18 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Repentance is anathema.
MG detests repentance.

- Doc
Not so. Repentance is an important/integral part of my life.

I would encourage others to do so.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm
his comment about "staying" in the church hecause of "opportunity" to offend is incredibly telling.
Pray tell. Care to elucidate and tell me exactly what I’m thinking/saying?

Please quote my previous reply to you dealing with this matter IN FULL. No ellipses.

Yes, what I said is telling. But not in the way you’re trying to spin it.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Exiled wrote:

Church is a hospital for the broken and for sinners. We ALL fall short. On the other hand there isn’t a need, in my opinion, to broadcast willy nilly our sins and misdoings AT church. The meetings are a time of reflection and of personal communion/repentance with the Savior.

We all KNOW,( members attending church) that none of us are perfect. And we also are quite aware that there may be wolves among the flock.

It is not infrequent that, at least in our ward, folks open up in regards to some of their imperfections and spiritual malaises. Along, of course, with the many instances of expressing grateful praises to God for blessings received, etc.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

malkie wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:

I've been told more than once that sometimes I'm too honest for my own good.

When I think of all of those Personal Priesthood Interviews that I went through, and how easily I accepted that the men who were interviewing me were entitled to details of my personal life, ...
It’s interesting how we, having grown up in the same church, had such different experiences.

Regards,
MG