Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:49 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:39 am

No argument there. Always some bad apples.

But I think it’s disingenuous for anyone to judge the church, or leave the church, because of the actions of a few wolves in sheep’s clothing that enter in among the flock.

Regards,
MG
What happened to the power of discernment?
Especially when that wolf is one of the leaders or the bishop himself.
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Not really. In fact, far, far worse people very easily come to church and feel comfortable.

I realize that you've been fed this line your whole life that most of humanity feels intimated by the gathering of milquetoast believers such as yourself. They don't.

To the extent that the observation about comfort has any validity at all, and it has very little, it selects for a certain kind of psychologically weak person who probably isn't that bad of an individual. Plenty of chronic gamblers would feel just fine in Church. After all, being a great liar is an attribute that primes a man for high leadership callings in the Church.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
But I think it’s disingenuous for anyone to judge the church, or leave the church, because of the actions of a few wolves in sheep’s clothing that enter in among the flock.
A few?

I fail to see the big difference between people in the church and out. The quality of people has nothing to do with circumstance of being in or out.Where is the actual correlation? Aside from being in the LDS Church or not, they are basically all the same. No one needs to make a judgment regarding the value of being in or out based on the people who are in or out. It just doesn't work. It doesn't work for critics. It doesn't work for you. People are people.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 pm
I don’t come around much anymore and I’m not sure how long now I’ve been referred to as “charlatan” in the board’s caste system, but I do find it rather infantile behavior to call out any one board member in such a pejorative manner.

I’m not now nor ever have been a fraud.

No wonder other active members of the church don’t show up here.

And this is why I make my visits infrequently these days.

Regards,
MG
If the tables were turned and any one of you were on a board with predominantly active and believing LDS folks and you were forced into a caste system where YOU were cast as a Charlatan how would that make you feel? Especially if you KNEW that you weren’t?

I’ve registered a complaint with the moderators, but I don’t expect any change/action. I will be pleasantly surprised if something positive happens.

Who would have thought that in an enlightened place such as this that such shenanigans would take place?

No surprise that active and believing members of the church feel uncomfortable showing themselves around here. Fortunately, I have a tough hide.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:03 am
If the tables were turned and any one of you were on a board with predominantly active and believing LDS folks and you were forced into a caste system where YOU were cast as a Charlatan how would that make you feel? Especially if you KNEW that you weren’t?

I’ve registered a complaint with the moderators, but I don’t expect any change/action. I will be pleasantly surprised if something positive happens.

Who would have thought that in an enlightened place such as this that such shenanigans would take place?

No surprise that active and believing members of the church feel uncomfortable showing themselves around here. Fortunately, I have a tough hide.

Regards,
MG
Did you ask to have the word charlatan put on your account? Seems like you are wearing it like a badge of honor! Why are you complaining?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:05 pm
...Rather than staying in the church and trying to ‘cover up their sins’ some find it easier to simply leave... When we live in a community and don’t fit in with the norms we look for ways to ... fit in...
Wow. That is a stunning admission. So, in order to "stay in the church" one must find a way for one's "sins" to be "cover[ed] up."

That puts a whole new spin on the lds church's current problems with abuse, but it also explains why the Kirton-mcConkie law firm is in such demand with the lds church.

Their specialty seems to be "cover[ing] up."
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 am

Did you ask to have the word charlatan put on your account?
Obviously not. But someone did.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 am
So, in order to "stay in the church" one must find a way for one's "sins" to be "cover[ed] up."
Not unless you’re a wolf.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:03 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 pm
I don’t come around much anymore and I’m not sure how long now I’ve been referred to as “charlatan” in the board’s caste system, but I do find it rather infantile behavior to call out any one board member in such a pejorative manner.

I’m not now nor ever have been a fraud.

No wonder other active members of the church don’t show up here.

And this is why I make my visits infrequently these days.

Regards,
MG

Regards,
MG
> cries to the mods about something

> cries about being a charlatan

> claims to have a “tough hide”

:roll:

So, to review, the Moccult harbors Mormons who **** kids, there’s no power of discernment, and chronic gamblers feel uncomfortable in the Moccult while kid ****ers who are out and known to leadership are allowed to remain comfortably ensconced in the pews.

Huh.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:59 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
A few?
A few too many. But yes, relatively speaking, a few. And I’m not excusing them.

Regards,
MG