Mormons ignoring Jesus as quoted in the gospel of Matthew

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mormons ignoring Jesus as quoted in the gospel of Matthew

Post by drumdude »

Jesus wrote:Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
There goes half of every ward.
Jesus wrote:So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Tithing settlement anyone?
Jesus wrote:And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
I'm sure Jesus was thinking of General/Stake Conferences being broadcast around the world when he said not to babble like pagans...
Jesus wrote:This, then, is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name...'
Kind of strange Mormons just ignore this plain directive from the Savior?
Jesus wrote:When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Mormons turn this into a trite game every Fast Sunday.
Jesus wrote:Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Ensign Peak fund.
Jesus wrote:Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Food storage, hoarding money for a "rainy day," ect ect ect

Who is the Jesus Mormonism worships? Because it's certainly not the one portrayed in the Gospels...

You don't even need the doctrine of "Sola Scriptura" to realize the plain message Jesus was trying to get across. Humanity is worried about the wrong things. They have it completely backwards. And it's very hard to fix that backwardness. Mormonism doesn't even try to. It falls into the same traps Jesus was constantly warning against: legalism, materialism, idolatry, leader worship, hoarding wealth, being worried about public image, about personal health, on and on and on.

Every Christian religion falls short of Jesus' message. But Mormonism seems particularly blind to what He was trying to say.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Mormons ignoring Jesus as quoted in the gospel of Matthew

Post by dastardly stem »

Of course Jesus could have improved things by a million if he taught something useful to begin with. Telling people to hate everyone in their life but love him is just silly stuff. Telling people He, as God, has ignored many believers is silly. Of course, it seems like, He's just a character made up by people who never knew him. His message strewn across the mind's and creativity of 4 ancient people no one ever knew anything about, makes his message convoluted, contradictory and messy. That's not to say these authors didn't have him say a few nice things of course, nor that any one of them didn't have a goal or overall message in mind. It is to say no one follows that guy, though. Its' hard to not put your light under a bushel and let it shine before everyone and act as if you aren't a believer at all, by hiding all of your beliefs and religious acts.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 pm
It is to say no one follows that guy, though. Its' hard to not put your light under a bushel and let it shine before everyone and act as if you aren't a believer at all, by hiding all of your beliefs and religious acts.
stem, your skill in finding ways to look at Jesus statements canceling their meaning for comic effect reaches a new point here. I had to read it several times to finely get my mind backwards enough to follow your point.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:38 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
It is to say no one follows that guy, though. Its' hard to not put your light under a bushel and let it shine before everyone and act as if you aren't a believer at all, by hiding all of your beliefs and religious acts.
stem, your skill in finding ways to look at Jesus statements canceling their meaning for comic effect reaches a new point here. I had to read it several times to finely get my mind backwards enough to follow your point.
lol. Yep...caught me. That was poorly worded. But it wasn't meant comedically.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

I am curious why we should expect a book cobbled together over hundreds and even thousands of years in multiple different languages by hundreds of different unknown authors and redactors, each with their own agenda, to be logically consistent? When it comes to scripture, religious organizations are just like individuals in that scriptural interpretation is purely eisegetical.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:12 pm
I am curious why we should expect a book cobbled together over hundreds and even thousands of years in multiple different languages by hundreds of different unknown authors and redactors, each with their own agenda, to be logically consistent? When it comes to scripture, religious organizations are just like individuals in that scriptural interpretation is purely eisegetical.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng

God has not left us stranded in the desert.

And drumdude…such a calloused and distorted version/vision of the Gospel of Jesus Christ you portray in your opening post. A bit of rationalizing to excuse your discontinued participation in living the Gospel and attending church to renew covenants to follow Jesus?

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Of course Jesus could have improved things by a million if he taught something useful to begin with. Telling people to hate everyone in their life but love him is just silly stuff.
Cherry picking and then misinterpreting doesn’t help your cause. Do you really believe that Jesus would teach people to literally HATE everyone? That completely goes against everything he said or did. Go to a Bible commentary and get some help/therapy.

Jesus never “taught something useful to begin with”???!!!

Sheesh. Not even sure to begin with that.

Regards,
MG
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:04 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Of course Jesus could have improved things by a million if he taught something useful to begin with. Telling people to hate everyone in their life but love him is just silly stuff.
Cherry picking and then misinterpreting doesn’t help your cause. Do you really believe that Jesus would teach people to literally HATE everyone? That completely goes against everything he said or did. Go to a Bible commentary and get some help/therapy.

Jesus never “taught something useful to begin with”???!!!

Sheesh. Not even sure to begin with that.

Regards,
MG
What is useful in the teachings of Jesus that is unique to Jesus?

MG, I can't help what people quoted Jesus as saying. Instead of complaining about me pointing out what Jesus supposedly said, why not correct it? Explain what He should have said, or what they should have quoted him to say? (kind of like you attempted with the James passage).
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I suppose that the Gospel speaks to me in a very different way than most. It seems most get caught up on the specific things Jesus is quoted as saying, rather than viewing everything together to try and build a picture of what the Jesus character in the New Testament is all about.

You can’t get around the fact that Jesus may not even have existed, and if he did exist certainly didn’t say verbatim what he is quoted as saying. So to me that means you need to look more holistically at everything together.

For example, “there is no way to God but through me” and “I came to bring a sword and divide” don’t seem in character with many of his parables and teachings. So I don’t put much weight in those when building my mental model of the Jesus character.

Everyone of course assigns different weights to all the conflicting facets of Jesus from the many conflicting passages. I lean on those passages that jump off the page at me when reading. I hope many who have read the gospels have some passages jump out at them like that, even if they’re no longer believers.

I think if you read the gospels through this lens, you can think more about why the gospels were so attractive and revolutionary at the time. Rather than get hung up on particular words and sentences.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 pm
I suppose that the Gospel speaks to me in a very different way than most. It seems most get caught up on the specific things Jesus is quoted as saying, rather than viewing everything together to try and build a picture of what the Jesus character in the New Testament is all about.

You can’t get around the fact that Jesus may not even have existed, and if he did exist certainly didn’t say verbatim what he is quoted as saying. So to me that means you need to look more holistically at everything together.

For example, “there is no way to God but through me” and “I came to bring a sword and divide” don’t seem in character with many of his parables and teachings. So I don’t put much weight in those when building my mental model of the Jesus character.

Everyone of course assigns different weights to all the conflicting facets of Jesus from the many conflicting passages. I lean on those passages that jump off the page at me when reading. I hope many who have read the gospels have some passages jump out at them like that, even if they’re no longer believers.

I think if you read the gospels through this lens, you can think more about why the gospels were so attractive and revolutionary at the time. Rather than get hung up on particular words and sentences.
Seems you want to give it a rose-colored gist, rather than take into account everything "Jesus" is reported to have said. Is your Jesus so one dimensional that anything that doesn't fit is discarded?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats