Why DCP’s Proposed Beatitudes Book is Problematic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Area Authority

Re: Why DCP’s Proposed Beatitudes Book is Problematic

Post by Tom »

Unfortunately, he seems to be mailing it in these days by recycling old blog posts. Last night (February 8, 2023), for example, he wrote the following about Pearl Harbor: “it’s an important place, and it’s appropriate to think of it today, on the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor.”

I believe we marked that anniversary more than six years ago.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:31 pm
Unfortunately, he seems to be mailing it in these days by recycling old blog posts. Last night (February 8, 2023), for example, he wrote the following about Pearl Harbor: “it’s an important place, and it’s appropriate to think of it today, on the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor.”

:shock: :shock:
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:

Wow. Apparently it’s not “important” enough to merit fresh commentary, or even an appropriate revision to this recycling of old material. Quite shameful. Elsewhere in the blog entry he’s bemoaning the “tone” of political speech. Maybe he ought to focus more on the problematic and disrespectful material that turns up regularly on his own blog.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Tom wrote:

Well, what do you know?

The unfortunate reference to the 75th anniversary has now been edited out. Lucky for DCP that he reads this board so assiduously!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:58 pm
Tom wrote:

Well, what do you know?

The unfortunate reference to the 75th anniversary has now been edited out. Lucky for DCP that he reads this board so assiduously!
He’s obsessed!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

malkie wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:03 am
Dr. Scratch, is this an attempt at "reverse psychology"? Are you actually trying to motivate him?
That would be like goading televangelist Kenneth Copeland into asking his congregation for even more money to buy private jets. Much better to tell Dr. Peterson that the world needs to hear his thoughts on the Beatitudes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Edited out, with no acknowledgement! He ought to thank Tom for alerting him. And he ought to apologize to his readers for his carelessness.

But, of course, he won’t, and for that reason, he will never be able to finish any of his books.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:19 pm
Edited out, with no acknowledgement! He ought to thank Tom for alerting him. And he ought to apologize to his readers for his carelessness.

But, of course, he won’t, and for that reason, he will never be able to finish any of his books.
Perhaps he should also thank Tom for driving more people to his blog - even if it's just to see how bad it is.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:19 pm

This is an innovative way of thinking about the publishing problem. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, you're a few moves ahead of me, like usual.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

What's the complaint here? That Dan is doing the most Mormon thing of all?