DCP’s Mormon scholars testify: abandoned?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: DCP’s Mormon scholars testify: abandoned?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Maybe DCP didn't want to draw attention to this:

https://exmormonscholarstestify.org/testimonies.html

If you search for "Mormon scholars testify" the second result is Ex-Mormon Scholars Testify.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I predicted that this effort would fail. It is enormously gratifying to have been proven right. What “MST” ultimately proves is how few Mormon scholars are willing to sign in with this crap.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

He really isn't a good missionary for the Church.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:43 am
Not to mention scholarly defender...
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

IHAQ wrote:
Who is, though? It’s a crap product that no one wants.

I don’t blame the salesman for that.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:08 pm
IHAQ wrote:

I think it depends on what you want out of the LDS church. There are a lot of people, particularly in Utah, who see the church as a means of being a part of their community and making friends. In that regard, I think LDS Mormonism has some positive aspects such as the welfare program and employment services. It also has some worthwhile teachings about the importance of putting family first and about service. But these positive aspects were more than outweighed for me by its authoritarian control mechanisms, immoral and false doctrines, boring services, and meat market singles wards.

I think Mormonism is still workable for people who don't take it too seriously and don't really care to know what the doctrines are. That type of attitude toward religion is fundamentally unsatisfying to me, but I can see that many people have it.

Ultimately, I think Mormonism is going to continue moving away from its weirder doctrines as it has been doing for the last 100 or so years. The Mormon population in the US is simply too well-traveled and educated for the church to try to withdraw into willfully ignorant fundamentalism, even though that is what a minority of members definitely wants.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:21 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:08 pm

I think it depends on what you want out of the LDS church. There are a lot of people, particularly in Utah, who see the church as a means of being a part of their community and making friends. In that regard, I think LDS Mormonism has some positive aspects such as the welfare program and employment services. It also has some worthwhile teachings about the importance of putting family first and about service. But these positive aspects were more than outweighed for me by its authoritarian control mechanisms, immoral and false doctrines, boring services, and meat market singles wards.

I think Mormonism is still workable for people who don't take it too seriously and don't really care to know what the doctrines are. That type of attitude toward religion is fundamentally unsatisfying to me, but I can see that many people have it.

Ultimately, I think Mormonism is going to continue moving away from its weirder doctrines as it has been doing for the last 100 or so years. The Mormon population in the US is simply too well-traveled and educated for the church to try to withdraw into willfully ignorant fundamentalism, even though that is what a minority of members definitely wants.
I hope you’re right. The leaders seem to be trying to steer the church away from fundamentalism but they have to be careful not to alienate too many of them and split the church further.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

My favorite snippet from a Mormon Scholars Testify testimony is from Vern G Swanson of the Springville Museum of Art.
Dr Swanson wrote:Being passionate about the visual fine arts, when the missionaries showed me a Book of Mormon, all I had to do was look at its illustrations by Arnold Friberg and I instantly knew the book was true!
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/tes ... as%20true!

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Morley wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:33 pm
My favorite snippet from a Mormon Scholars Testify testimony is from Vern G Swanson of the Springville Museum of Art.
Dr Swanson wrote:Being passionate about the visual fine arts, when the missionaries showed me a Book of Mormon, all I had to do was look at its illustrations by Arnold Friberg and I instantly knew the book was true!
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/tes ... as%20true!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Omg this just made my day!
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

Has it failed? Of has it accomplished what it set out to do? There are a finite number of Mormon scholars, aren’t there?