DCP’s Mormon scholars testify: abandoned?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

DCP’s Mormon scholars testify: abandoned?

Post by drumdude »

It seems after a flurry of testimonies in 2010, the number of new ones has trickled to a stop. There was one in 2021, and zero in 2022.

I wonder how many of these scholars may have changed their testimony in the subsequent 12 years? Would definitely be interesting to revisit them.

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/tes ... ex-by-date
Kishkumen
God

Re: DCP’s Mormon scholars testify: abandoned?

Post by Kishkumen »

I would like to see this revived. It was nice to see LDS academics express their faith in writing.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

Yeah, ever since he gave it over to FAIR, it just kinda died.
From the end spring new beginnings.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Salvete wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:24 am
I wonder why FAIR doesn't find this to be a valuable resource. People complain about academics all being atheists and communists. Perhaps that impression is just to valuable to want to counter it with plentiful evidence of believing academics?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Salvete wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:24 am
I think you have the chronology wrong. It just kinda died, after which he gave it over to FAIR.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

With all due respect to our good Reverend, I've seen the enterprise as a bit desperate. Whether some smart person believes a religion or not shouldn't really mean much. There are smart people believing all sorts of religious things and even crazy sounding non-religious things. Belief isn't the hallmark of what scholars leave behind. it's their scholarship. Once we make it about them, we lose.

"well this PhD guy said he believes in Scientology."

Is that an argument for scientology or an argument for how smart people can believe stupid things?

I suppose I"m far too sensitive about hero worship or cult of personality thinking to get much out of this type of thing.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:03 pm
With all due respect to our good Reverend, I've seen the enterprise as a bit desperate. Whether some smart person believes a religion or not shouldn't really mean much. There are smart people believing all sorts of religious things and even crazy sounding non-religious things. Belief isn't the hallmark of what scholars leave behind. it's their scholarship. Once we make it about them, we lose.

Is that an argument for scientology or an argument for how smart people can believe stupid things?

I suppose I"m far too sensitive about hero worship or cult of personality thinking to get much out of this type of thing.
I suppose the question might be posed as to why Mormon scholars have stopped testifying...or have they simply learned it's best not to associate with DCP, FAIR etc?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:05 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:03 pm

I suppose the question might be posed as to why Mormon scholars have stopped testifying...or have they simply learned it's best not to associate with DCP, FAIR etc?
I can see a number of possibilities here:
  • MST is not well publicized (in general), so eligible scholars are not aware of it
  • Prof P may have been actively soliciting testimonies, and nobody has carried on (If I recall correctly, he even wrote a "testimony" for a dead scholar, on the grounds that said scholar would certainly have been willing to be included if he were still alive)
  • eligible scholars are aware of MST and choose not to participate, for a variety of reasons.
I know someone who was a stake president and who held (perhaps still does hold) a research professorship. He doesn't appear on MST, but I have no relationship with him that would allow me to ask him why.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

malkie wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm
If I recall correctly, he even wrote a "testimony" for a dead scholar, on the grounds that said scholar would certainly have been willing to be included if he were still alive
Wow.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:56 pm
malkie wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm
If I recall correctly, he even wrote a "testimony" for a dead scholar, on the grounds that said scholar would certainly have been willing to be included if he were still alive
Wow.
I wonder if DCP was channeling that dead scholar while DCP was out water witching?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats