Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by honorentheos »

I know. We are caught in this loop. You can't see because you won't pull off the blindfold of assumptions you wear to every discussion. Mormon god is real, a religiously American Christian-organized society is the best society, the Book of Mormon is a record of an ancient people.

You can't see. But I've told you how you could...
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:44 am
Boy do you like to be punished or what?
Huh?

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:08 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:55 am
You and other secularists really have nothing solid to offer that can stand the test of time.
Come and see.
No thanks. I am convinced that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is of greater ‘bedrock value’ than secularism. Especially over time. It’s proven itself. Secularism doesn’t have much of a track record to refer to.

But happy experimenting!

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:16 am
It’s proven itself.
viewtopic.php?p=2823959#p2823959
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I don’t believe MG is using ‘secularism’ in its proper context. It’d be helpful if he’d define it for us in relation to this thread.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Slightly tangential - sorry.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there is a problem here, as described in the OP.

MG's solution is for "more younger people come to Christ and/or participate in religious activity of some sort that promotes community values of charity/giving beyond one’s self."

What is preventing more young people from "coming to Christ"? Could it be that they are having a "Gandhi moment"?

When I look at some of the civic involvement, especially in politics, by US Christians, it seems to be aimed at pushing the religious right agenda, including actions that do not appear to be for the benefit of society as a whole, but rather at breaking down the barrier between church and state to usher in a theocracy.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Don Bradley wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:44 am
Stu!

How have you been, brother?
I am well my old friend. I hope you are healthy, happy, and all is well with you and your crew.

Seeing your name pop up always makes my innards smile.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

There is nothing you can possibly say about these different groups based on this survey. As the survey itself suggests:
The study asked 18-25 year olds of all religions about their political opinions, levels of civic engagement, and the degree to which their faith leaders shape them. To better resource our work with evangelicals, Neighborly Faith oversampled evangelicals and compared their responses to other Christians as well as young adults of other religions and no religion.
Evangelicals are the largest religious group among young adults, yet there is very
little data available about how their faith shapes their civic engagement. This study
provides scholars, practitioners, and philanthropists a closer look into this group's
beliefs and activities. It identifies who Evangelical young adults are listening to in their
political, social, and religious lives and provides recommendations on how to best
partner with them for social change.
For this study, we used a combination of original and existing measures. In partnership
with Springtide Research Institute, we customized questions to develop a comprehensive
survey about how religious leaders influence civic engagement, particularly among
Evangelical young adults.
The study included a nationally representative survey of 1,989 young adults aged 18 to 25
conducted in May and June 2022, oversampling for Evangelical and born-again young
adults to establish an understanding of religious leaders’ unique capacity to impact young
Evangelicals.
So they asked 18-25 year old religious people and over-sampled a particular set of the religious people and compared their responses? Anyone who thinks there is anything legitimate to take out of this other than the goals of the survey (which is to learn about their Gen Z evangelicals) is really mixed up about surveys, studies and what we can get from them.

No thanks, MG. This is a big hoax Desnews and others have jumped on.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Morley wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm
I'm bone-weary of older folks (read: Boomers) complaining about 'those younger generations'.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 pm
And I’m bone weary of folks that seem to either ignore and/or not care about the future of civil society. That is what this Deseret News article and the findings quoted therein are all about.

You, as a secularist, ought to have a healthy concern in regards to the main thrust/thesis of the article…and not simply poo poo it, as seems to be the case in the responses thus far.
I do, MG--and am happy to read that you do, too.

But I'm curious as to what you do--other than kvetching about the rise of secular humanism--to help mold the future of civil society. Perhaps, like me, one of the things you do is to donate monthly to the ASLU?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:34 pm
Morley wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm
I'm bone-weary of older folks (read: Boomers) complaining about 'those younger generations'.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:49 pm
And I’m bone weary of folks that seem to either ignore and/or not care about the future of civil society. That is what this Deseret News article and the findings quoted therein are all about.

You, as a secularist, ought to have a healthy concern in regards to the main thrust/thesis of the article…and not simply poo poo it, as seems to be the case in the responses thus far.
I do, MG--and am happy to read that you do, too.

But I'm curious as to what you do--other than kvetching about the rise of secular humanism--to help mold the future of civil society. Perhaps, like me, one of the things you do is to donate monthly to the ASLU?
We just sent a donation to the Ukrainian war efforts through Amazon donations set up for that purpose. Monthly contributions to Water Aid. Operation Smile at Christmas. Community service in schools. There are many ways to contribute to civil society.

I hope you are also involved beyond your own kvetching on this board against Mormonism.

Regards,
MG