Secular folks should worry.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Secular folks should worry.

Post by MG 2.0 »

Last weekend on the Deseret News I came across the following article:

https://www.deseret.com/2023/3/4/236171 ... es-charity

You can also read it here:

https://www.aei.org/articles/perspectiv ... -of-faith/

The interesting thing to me is something that I’ve intuitively deduced over time. It is this (from the article):

Gen Z is the nation’s least religious generation, with about a third having no religion — about the same proportion as among millennials — compared with 23%, 17% and 11% among, respectively, Generation X, baby boomers and the Silent Generation.
and this:

The data show that religious younger Americans are more than twice as likely to do community work as their nonreligious Gen Z counterparts. Half of religious Gen Zers report volunteering in the community often or very often, compared to 30% of slightly religious Gen Zers and just 21% of not religious Gen Zers.

Being involved with community groups — such as sports or social clubs — shows an even bigger difference between the very religious and not religious, with 46% of the very religious regularly being part of community groups, compared to just 16 % of those who are not religious.

As for charitable donations, the same pattern emerges once again, with fully half of very religious Gen Zers contributing often or very often, while 29% of slightly religious and just 17% of nonreligious Gen Zers do the same.
The article as a whole seems to paint a rather dismal portrait of what is to come unless more younger people come to Christ and/or participate in religious activity of some sort that promotes community values of charity/giving beyond one’s self.

Regards,
MG
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Secular folks should worry.

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Teen births with gen Z were a fraction of what they were with Gen X or Boomers.

Therefore, the more people come unto Christ, the more teenagers get pregnant.

Ipso facto, abracadabra.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:57 pm

Ipso facto, abracadabra.
https://catholiclife.diolc.org/2020/05/ ... -practice/

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/newsroom/rele ... ious_views

Apparently you as a secular person don’t have some of the same concerns that might be extrapolated from the research conducted on GenZ. It’s interesting, isn’t it, how the last few generation’s drift from religiosity is steering us towards a less civil society based on the common good/values and looking out for one’s neighbor?

That this doesn’t seem to concern you, as a secular person, is somewhat worrisome but not surprising.

Regards,
MG
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The Nordic and Baltic states do very well without religion.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:11 pm
Apparently you as a secular person don’t have some of the same concerns that might be extrapolated from the research conducted on GenZ.
Indeed. As a secular person, I am not concerned by the reduction in teenage pregnancy.
It’s interesting, isn’t it, how the last few generation’s drift from religiosity is steering us towards a less civil society based on the common good/values and looking out for one’s neighbor?
Compared to 1990, there is now 40% less violent crime.

Perhaps looking out for one's neighbor results in an increase in coveting what one's neighbor has.

Make sure to hug a secularist for not contributing to violent crime.
That this doesn’t seem to concern you, as a secular person, is somewhat worrisome but not surprising.

Regards,
MG
I imagine there's been a drop in religious leaders covering up rape of children with the growing secularization too.

That the reduction in child rape being covered up doesn't seem to concern you, as a religious person, is somewhat worrisome but not surprising.

(Want to start over, or should we continue down the tit-for-tat polemical road?)
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:37 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Apparently you as a secular person don’t have some of the same concerns that might be extrapolated from the research conducted on GenZ.
Indeed. As a secular person, I am not concerned by the reduction in teenage pregnancy.
It’s interesting, isn’t it, how the last few generation’s drift from religiosity is steering us towards a less civil society based on the common good/values and looking out for one’s neighbor?
Compared to 1990, there is now 40% less violent crime.

Perhaps looking out for one's neighbor results in an increase in coveting what one's neighbor has.

Make sure to hug a secularist for not contributing to violent crime.

Regards,
MG
I imagine there's been a drop in religious leaders covering up rape of children with the growing secularization too.

That the reduction in child rape being covered up doesn't seem to concern you, as a religious person, is somewhat worrisome but not surprising.

(Want to start over, or should we continue down the tit-for-tat polemical road?)
There may not be a need for that. Personally, as I read your response, I see a certain ‘hollowness’ to your response that doesn’t demand a response.

You also have a determined goal of looking at the world of secularism and non religious belief through rose colored glasses.

The research doesn’t seem to support your position. Your laser focused response dealing with pregnancies has other rather obvious explanations, as I’m sure you can see.

If not, start here:

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn ... rtion-pill

You should, for the stated reasons in my opening post, have a healthy fear/worry over the trajectory of GenZ.

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

This seems like a reflex to the insurmountable evidence that Mormonism is on the decline in almost every parameter.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

So, a survey done by an organization whose mission is to promote Christianity that I cannot access without giving them my e-mail address. https://www.neighborlyfaith.org/who-we-are

Hard pass.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Could having more information about LDS truth claims be corrupting the youth of Athens? Shouldn't we place the gadfly of Radio Free Mormonism on trial and see what his defense might be?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:57 pm

Ipso facto, abracadabra.
https://catholiclife.diolc.org/2020/05/ ... -practice/

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/newsroom/rele ... ious_views

Apparently you as a secular person don’t have some of the same concerns that might be extrapolated from the research conducted on GenZ. It’s interesting, isn’t it, how the last few generation’s drift from religiosity is steering us towards a less civil society based on the common good/values and looking out for one’s neighbor?

Regards,
MG
GenZ'rs instead support more governmental social programs for the poor and needy. I.e., they are not less civil, but realize that government can distribute the help in a more even handed way than just those in proximity of one who donates. You are right, this approach is less about looking out for one's neighbor (those in proximity, in one's field of vision), and is more about providing for all people that are poor and in need wherever located. This is a positive development, and coincides with the decline of religion. Maybe coincidence, maybe cause and effect.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.