Church Gives More Last Year Under Increased Scrutiny

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Church Gives More Last Year Under Increased Scrutiny

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

It's still only a drop in the bucket and less than 1% of the Ensign Peak Fund holdings, but progress is progress.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spent more than $1 billion worldwide helping those in need last year, eclipsing its 2021 spending by more than $100 million amid intensified scrutiny of the Utah-based faith’s finances.

That price tag covered aid for members and nonmembers alike, and included fast offerings, providing help from employment centers and food-processing facilities, charitable contributions, and donated commodities.

In an extended report released Wednesday and titled “Caring for Those in Need,” the governing First Presidency wrote that the church was blessed to have the resources and global connections to carry out the responsibility of providing such care.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2023/03 ... haritable/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Church Gives More Last Year Under Increased Scrutiny

Post by Philo Sofee »

Hypocrits. Yada, yada,yada......had they NOT been discovered they would have continued being tight asses. We all know that. True however, progress is progress, but it's not out of their hearts because they love and care about people. However, kudos to the hypocrits for at least upping their game a teensy weensy barely little bit... I will give you a small almost insignificant pat on your heads.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

They threw in an extra 10 percent. I wonder if that was higher or lower than their annual investment return. Since their finances are closed we will never know.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Once again, the church will only begrudgingly change until after it is exposed and then embarrassed into changing.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Good for them.

Given what we know about the church holdings, it falls way short of expectations by any measure.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:11 pm
Once again, the church will only begrudgingly change until after it is exposed and then embarrassed into changing.
Yep. But its a good sign to see increased pressure having an impact. I'm sure the Church hopes the pressure goes away and it can do what it wants with all it's extra money. Bu hopefully the trend of increasing pressure and increasing giving continues.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... se-in-need

Background information on justifying hiding all that money at the April 2023 General Conference. "An Angel with an open bank ledger told us to hide it." Members would buy that and fully understand.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

From what I understand, the total cash contribution was only 47 million. That comes out to be about 4% of what they declared.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:12 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:11 pm
Yep. But its a good sign to see increased pressure having an impact. I'm sure the Church hopes the pressure goes away and it can do what it wants with all it's extra money. Bu hopefully the trend of increasing pressure and increasing giving continues.
We will NOT let the pressure die...
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I see the twelve suddenly galavanting ministering to countries far and wide, meeting with local dignitaries and then, after pleasantries, talking about “being able” to make a donation to aid local humanitarian crises.

Good for them, finally, but I can’t help but think this all comes with an air of sadness. It’s all being done too late to rescue church leaders from the shame of having illegally hid immense wealth for decades, while pretending to be both poor and generous (it was neither).

Countries don’t want Mormon theology, and definitely don’t want Mormon concealment tricks. But anyone will gladly accept some money, especially some repentance money. So, let them pay for their sins of omission (and, yes, also commission). Let them pay mightily.