The Most Bizarre BYU Devotional Of All Time By Dr. David Glen Hatch

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

The Most Bizarre BYU Devotional Of All Time By Dr. David Glen Hatch

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

At last Tuesday's BYU devotional, the very flamboyant and toupee wearing Dr. Hatch rambled incoherently about the evils of "liberal Jesus." His facial expressions and wild hand gesticulations are priceless:

https://www.reddit.com/r/religiousfruit ... han_jesus/

According to Dr. Hatch, Satan is trying to destroy the Mormon church? However, with the SEC fine, musket fire, Mopologists, hiding 150 billion dollars, sex abuse cover ups, etc., the Mormon church is doing an amazing job of destroying itself.

The whole time I was watching Dr. Hatch, all I could think about was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUsK5fGVW0I

Blair Hodges even harshly criticized this devotional: https://Twitter.com/LifeOnaPlate/status ... XFwc8tAAAA
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: The Most Bizarre BYU Devotional Of All Time By Dr. David Glen Hatch

Post by drumdude »

Religious fruitcake is the perfect subreddit for that guy.

Holy Christ.

And Daniel Peterson wonders why Mormons are so behind on culture and not respected.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Oh JUST WOW.........ayiyi.....
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I hope that the Interpreter does not have this guy scheduled for Friday in two weeks. At first, I thought this was a gag, but it is for real.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Wonhyo
CTR A

Post by Wonhyo »

Please, God. Please let this man be called as an apostle as soon as a vacancy opens up. Please...
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The TikTok versions are more concise, but here is Mormon Stories talking about this unhinged talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLRfkWj5Bg

This is troublesome enough to make Dr. Scratch's list. Wonder what Everybody Wang Chung would say about it? Could this guy fill in for Elder Holland at the 2023 SUU Commencement Address?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:54 pm
The TikTok versions are more concise, but here is Mormon Stories talking about this unhinged talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnLRfkWj5Bg

This is troublesome enough to make Dr. Scratch's list. Wonder what Everybody Wang Chung would say about it? Could this guy fill in for Elder Holland at the 2023 SUU Commencement Address?
I watched the short clip and thought annoying cliches oft repeated over the years but here presented with exaggerated facial contortions . Nothing new nothing insightful and nothing helpful.

Later I decided to listen to the Dehlin presentation. I find he goes on and on and on and on. At the end he points out that it sounds like the devotional is by somebody struggling with some self loathing or fighting with himself. Might be an apt observation. Then he proposes that the church should spend much money coordinating all the talks to make sure they are acceptable to his concerns and views. I suspect the church will continue to prioritize its beliefs. (at least for quite a while)

Perhaps somebody thinks it a good idea to have all talks written in Salt Lake and sent out to be read in to local congregations.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:49 am
I hope that the Interpreter does not have this guy scheduled for Friday in two weeks.
??? I hope that the Interpreter DOES have this guy scheduled for Friday in two weeks.

How can you not?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:12 am
Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:49 am
I hope that the Interpreter does not have this guy scheduled for Friday in two weeks.
??? I hope that the Interpreter DOES have this guy scheduled for Friday in two weeks.

How can you not?
Okay, you are right. It would be interesting. Due to Dr. Hatch's dramatic presentation style, he might even liven things up at the Interpreter Radio program.

It would even be fun if Kerry could interview him for the Backyard Professor podcast, not that Kerry's podcast needs livening up.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Everybody Wang Chung is exaggerating again - it only the most bizarre so far. Give them time, and have a little faith, please.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!